Border Collie Breeding question General Chat

Discussion in 'Border Collie' started by Sahani, Sep 13, 2018.

1. Sahani

Sahani New Member

Name:
    Ginny
    Here is her head - as I said, it is so faint. I can see it on the photo but then I know what I am looking for too...But whether or not it is something to notice, or just a shading sort of thing with merles, I can't really say.
    Sahani1.jpg
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Good enough. She isn't a tri merle.
    It looks to be on the surface, could it be dye staining from her bedding?
    Otherwise, I don't know!
  4. Sahani

Sahani New Member

Name:
    Ginny
    no, definitely not staining. She's had these markings for the whole time we've had her. And her bedding isn't always the same anyway.
  5. Sahani

Sahani New Member

Name:
    Ginny
    it's not on the surface - if you look at the haunches, it is through the fur. So not silvery, and not black.
  6. Sahani

Sahani New Member

Name:
    Ginny
    In some things I've read they say that a blue merle isn't really blue. It is a black/white dog with merling in truth. So the 'blue' you see in others that are blue and white, isn't part of the blue merle.

With her, she's got the black and she has the light silvery grey - but then there is that area which seems like it's a bit in between. Deep in the fur is a sort of darker grey, but on the surface, it gives it a reddish hue? So could it be that she has 'blue' in her? I've never seen a true blue in person to judge what they're colour looks like up close.
  7. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    @Sahani - Her haunch does appear to have a patch of slight dark red hue - not obvious though. As for her head, there appears, to me at least, to be two smaller similar patches.

But of course you would have to know where and how to look, and none of the patches are obvious unless you really look for them. You know where they are, Ginny, and you see her every day, so the more you look the more obvious they will be to you.

I honestly do not think I would notice them if I had not known about them.
  8. Sahani

Sahani New Member

Name:
    Ginny
    oh yes, they are definitely more obvious to me because I see them every day. Just wasn't sure if it was indicative of colouring, other than blue merle.
  9. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Sorry Ginny but I do not know anything about colours or colouring. I just kept looking at the pictures you posted and while I could not see those patches to start with, after a few minutes they "appeared" to me.
  10. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    Probably not at all relevant, but my black and white boy was the result of a mating from a standard black and white (sire) and red (smooth) dam.

He was typical black and white, but when the sun shone, you could just detect the hint of red (much as you describe)
  11. Sahani

Sahani New Member

Name:
    Ginny
    Chris B and Malka like this.
    ok - thanks! It isn't critical to know, just curious about her background is all. And whether or not this is typical colouring for a blue merle. I love her no matter what though! : )
  12. Bulldogs4Life

Bulldogs4Life Member

Name:
    Ezee
    CaroleC likes this.
    In Border Collie I believe red is liver correct? So your female should need to carry it in order to produce it. You can have color panel done if you'd like to know about her color genetics. Blue eyes and white can be an indication of merle, some merles do not exhibit the pattern or much of it.
  13. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    @Bulldogs4Life Would you say that the greater possibility of doubling up on the merle gene would be a sound reason to exclude him, (the white with the blue eyes), from being a potential stud for a merle bitch? That could make Ginny's decision easier.
  14. Bulldogs4Life

Bulldogs4Life Member

Name:
    Ezee
    CaroleC likes this.
    I think having him tested and see what the results say might be a good option. If he isn't merle then he'd still be a potential, but if he is then can exclude him