Border Collie Diet? (Senior) General Chat

Discussion in 'Border Collie' started by Killi, May 7, 2021.

1. Killi

Killi New Member

Name:
    Quigley

Border Collie Diet? (Senior)

Hello fellow Border Collie Lovers!

I have a 10 year old Merle Border Collie. He is happy and seems healthy and very active. He’s been on a grain-free food, specifically Nutra-Nugget dry food for a while. I keep a close eye on his body and his stool and eyes, etc.

Now that he is getting older, I can’t help but think about what I can do to ensure that he lives a long and healthy life. I wish I would have been more “on it” in terms of healthy food... but I guess better now than later!

I wondered if anyone has any suggestions for food? And does anyone have any advice on what I can do in addition to diet for the longevity of his life. Does anyone have any suggestions in terms of vaccines and other health precautions?

My main question about diet is does anyone swear by a raw diet? A vegan diet? I know many owners have had great success with longevity with putting their bc on home cooked meals and even vegan... but products like V-Dog I wonder if it’s a hoax or not? Also, wondering about added supplements or vitamins?

I am trying to stay positive and not think about his age you know... but the only thing I can do to ease my mind is to make certain I’m giving him everything he possibly needs.
    Thank you for any suggestions or advice!
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Queensland blue

Queensland blue Member

Name:
    S
    Hi , I think vegetarian dog people is not a good idea and they should leave their vegetarian ideas for dogs in the dustbins of history .

I think people who do that are nuts ( food humor )
    And crackers , and fruity :) sorry hard to resist .

seriously , I think they try and put their new age ideas on their animals , and dogs did not evolve that way .
    I know some are living better lives than what I’ve seen lately being vego however it’s a human imposition the dog would not choose for itself .

We had a news story about 2 pups living on lentils and rice here on the news last night in terrible condition .
    Both were confiscated from the owner and one was in so poor a condition it had to be put down .

as for old dog longevity , best thing I did for one of my dogs was move to a warmer climate when she was getting arthritis , that meant I got a few more good years out of her .
  4. Chris

Chris Member

Name:
    Chris
    "Healthy, happy and active"

Don't fix what ain't broken :)

Sounds like his current diet is suiting him
  5. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I agree 100% with @Chris - and also with @Queensland blue regarding a vegan diet. Dogs are omnivores, they are not vegetarians or vegans.
  6. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    I agree. A balanced grain-free diet with a high grade animal protein source, (whether dried or raw), suits most breeds. I have recently moved my two geriatrics, (12 & 13), onto a higher protein and lower carbohydrate food, but that decision was mainly prompted by Merry developing lymphoma - a spectre which nobody can plan for.
    Just like humans, lack of exercise and obesity are the two major factors which prevent dogs from being able to enjoy their Third Age. A fit dog has a far greater chance of battling the normal challenges of aging.
    Personally, I do no vaccine boosters after seven years.
    My favourite supplements for seniors are YuMove tablets by Lintbells, and organic wild Atlantic salmon oil.
    Last edited: May 7, 2021
  7. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    As a vegetarian, I would never put my animals on any diet that eliminates any ingredient unless I had determined that the ingredient is an actual problem for that particular animal.

I know people who have gone to a raw diet or home-cooked meals. I have not seen any indication that it has led to a longer or healthier life for the dog. Even grain-free is now being questioned for certain health issues.

If what you are feeding him currently has him healthy and happy, then stick with it.

Regular exercise is the best thing you can do to help him as he ages. It will help against weight gain and will help keep his joints limber.

I have not seen vaccinations as having an affect on age issues - whether given or not.

Having a good relationship with his vet and getting a baseline on his health with that vet is a great proactive tool. Sometimes, we don't see small changes in our animals, so a baseline can give the vet a clue as to changes happening. And a good relationship means you can talk open and honestly with your vet. The worst vet is the one who pushes treatments, vaccines, procedures on you without being willing to talk to you about alternatives.

I have most always had medium to large dogs. When they reach 10 years, I simply start seeing every day as a privilege to be with them. I don't focus on what I can do to make them live longer but rather what I can do to make them live happier. I make decisions based on their needs and not my desires.

Last year, I knew my Moose-dog was reaching the end. His back legs were bothering him to the point of needing daily meds. He had small tumors growing over his body. He couldn't hold his bladder very well anymore. He was 15 and I knew he had had a good life. I was prepared to lose him that coming fall. Suddenly, my Bat-dog started having seizure-like episodes. She was 11 and had no age related issues. Within two days, Bat-dog couldn't stand at all. Seizure meds weren't helping. And the diagnoses was "most likely a brain tumor". I let them both go that weekend together. I had expected Bat-dog to be around for several more years.

My point is that for all we do to slow down the process, we never know what will happen. Don't focus on the end, focus on giving them happiness while they are here.

My Cat-dog is somewhere between 4 and 8 years old. We don't really have a good estimate because we aren't sure what her life used to be like. All I can do is give her the best I can now and make her happy. Tornado-dog is still a baby (5mos). Hopefully, he has a long way to go. But again, all I can do is my best and keep him happy.
  8. Killi

Killi New Member

Name:
    Quigley
    This..... ❤️

“I have most always had medium to large dogs. When they reach 10 years, I simply start seeing every day as a privilege to be with them. I don't focus on what I can do to make them live longer but rather what I can do to make them live happier. I make decisions based on their needs and not my desires”

.....what I needed to hear but already know. Thank you!