Border collie information wanted urgently. General Chat

Discussion in 'Border Collie' started by bordercollie6, May 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bordercollie6

bordercollie6 New Member

Name:
    Caroline

Border collie information wanted urgently.

This is for all the border collie people that use this site.
    I have a merle bitch that i got and never looked at her pedigree for about 4mths-stupid me as its the first thing i do. I wondered if anyone out there knows anything about the Astra affix which belongs to a female called janet beale, i am asking this as i really would like to find out if anybody has bought a pup out the same litter or has the same mother to my bitch-reason is my merle is having absent seizures and want to know any information regarding this litter, the mother is a blue merle named bell but called blue b and the father is a red and white dog called roy who i think went to america or canada, i will post in the isds numbers of mum and dad tomorrow. I would appreciate any info, maybe there are people here who are on different groups that can mention this. Thank you.
    Caroline.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Patch

Patch New Member

Name:
    Patch
    This is the website for Astra, Blue B is on there but she is now in Ireland

http://www.sheepdogsforsale.com/breeding females.htm

This is her pedigree

http://www.sheepdogsforsale.com/Pedigrees/265847 Bell.htm

Roy is on the same site, this page

http://www.sheepdogsforsale.com/stud dogs.htm

His pedigree [ pdf file ]

http://www.burhillbordercollies.com/Roy276680.pdf

Bit confusing that the Astra site only mentions one mating so far for Blue B, a sire by the name of Rex, owned by Carol Mellin, but on the studs page it does state that Roy was mated to Blue B so perhaps she has had other litters but the site not updated to say how many she has had ??

It does`nt tell you of course where any of the others in your girls litter went but at least you have the breeders details so you can inform her of what`s happening with your girl, if there is even the slightest possibility of hereditary epilepsy there should of course be no further breeding from both sire and dam at the very least until ascertaining which sides lines may have a problem, assuming someone who breeds in such high numbers has time to check it out in between turning out so many pups, [ nearly five hundred by 2007, will be higher than that now as she has certainly bred a fair number since then ].....

The place Roy was sent to in Canada for stud is here, they should be informed of what`s happening with your girl too as they are studding from him

http://www.burhillbordercollies.com/ontario_border_collie_stud.htm

HTH and hope your girl will be ok :?
  4. Ben Mcfuzzylugs

Ben Mcfuzzylugs

i think a few agility people round here got astra dogs, i will ask them

that is a lot of dogs patch!
  5. Tassle

Tassle New Member

Name:
    H
    Have you joined the Anadune site?

If you have the ISDS numbers you should be able to trace backwards and there may be some of the owners registered on there.
  6. Teal'c

Teal'c New Member

Name:
    DC
    Just keep diggin.........
  7. Ben Mcfuzzylugs

Ben Mcfuzzylugs

Oh my!!Just had a closer look at the websiteyou can paypal a deposit to secure a pup from the next mating - and if you cant visit them and see their dogs (or of course them see you) they will just ship the pup out to you!and they plan to rehome all their breeding females when they reach about 5 years of ageThey also think there is no epilepsy in their lines - so I would deff contact them and let them know - be interesting to see if they change that statmentSounds lots like a PF with a good PR man!
  8. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    I know of Astra and Janet Beale, but don't know her personally. I have met a couple of dogs she bred though (on the sheepdog trial circuit).

Why not contact her directly and let her know what is happening? See if she can shed any light on the problem.

Hope your girl is ok.
  9. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    I have heard similar things being said before by people who have visited the premises, but as I have never been myself, I cannot judge one way or the other. :neutral:
  10. JoedeeUK

JoedeeUK Member

Name:
    Deejay
    The bitches & dogs are up for sale because Janet has lost her rented land & may very well be losing her home.

In the farming world it isn't unusual for trained adult dogs to be sold.

Is your dog registered with the ISDS as an Astra ? Did you buy the dog from Janet ?

If you join Anadune this dog is a litter mate of your dog-Astra Chuka (ISDS 291608 ). Please note Janet did not breed either parent of your dog so to slag off the dogs she as bred from her own lines is-what shall I say-a very dangerous thing to do

Ring Janet,she does care about the health of her dogs & does far more health testing than most farming breeders of BCs
    Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2009
  11. JoedeeUK

JoedeeUK Member

Name:
    Deejay
    It's not usual for farmers/shepherds home/abroad to buy sight unseen. It's also not unusual for partly trained/trained dogs to be sold, you only have to go to any sheepdog auction to see that-trained dogs are very expensive
  12. Teal'c

Teal'c New Member

Name:
    DC
    I will comment no further on this thread other to say I would never ever purchase a pup from this women.
  13. JoedeeUK

JoedeeUK Member

Name:
    Deejay
    Better not if you are going to publicly slate someone
  14. Teal'c

Teal'c New Member

Name:
    DC
    changed my mind
    Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2009
  15. Fi

Fi New Member

Name:
    Fiona
    I have an Astra dog - Astra Jet from Astra Mars and Astra Nell.

He's ISDS registered and an absolutely lovely boy. We get comments all the time about how confident, friendly and non-nippy he is for a collie.

We went to visit Janet's farm twice before we got them - both times the dogs were well cared for and had loads of interaction with friends etc. The place was fairly muddy - but then she has a lot of dogs.

I think a lot of people don't like the fact that she breeds dogs to make money. However she does a lot of health checks and the dogs are straight off to the vet at the first sign of any problem. She also isn't just interested in churning out puppies as she does train the dogs on sheep.
  16. bordercollie6

bordercollie6 New Member

Name:
    Caroline
    Done it been there and got the t-shirt, janet does not take any responsibility for anything, you dont her as well as i do, so please get your facts right, as far as the mother to my bitch, why dont you read the hilary jones article that she did on the grandmother to my bitch, hilary had to stop that line due to epilepsy after breeding for 40yrs.
  17. Shona

Shona

Name:
    shona
    I dont see how Teal'c saying she would not buy a pup from this person is in any intended to "slate" someone,

there are lots of people I wouldnt buy a pup off...
  18. bordercollie6

bordercollie6 New Member

Name:
    Caroline
    Thanks for the roy link, god he really does look happy, not the same dog i seen up at janets.I cant really do anything untill i find proof of anything, thats why i am trying to find out more information on past litters which i say have been a few, dont know if you ever read the article that Hilary Jones did, she had Briar which is the grandmother of my bitch, hilary had to stop breeding this line after 40yrs as it has epilepsy, i have been in touch with hilary. I just really want to know if anybody out there has the same problem as me. I have been in touch with janet and she just refuses point blank to admit anything, she did offer me money back and take my bitch and i reclined the offer, i did how ever say if she would pay for a brain scan on my bitch but that was a no no unless i gave her my bitch, she knew that was never going to happen. She said she would stop breeding this bitch only if they could find the faulty gene.
    I just want to find the truth, god i stopped breeding 6yrs a go because i had bred an epileptic pup and did not want other people going through the heartache-am i wrong for that?? Am i wrong for trying to find out more about others in the litter as my merle bitch??
  19. bordercollie6

bordercollie6 New Member

Name:
    Caroline
    Will try that, thank you.
  20. JoedeeUK

JoedeeUK Member

Name:
    Deejay
    Er she no longer has this bitch so how can she continue to breed from her ?
  21. JoedeeUK

JoedeeUK Member

Name:
    Deejay

Why should I read an article about something I could have told the author about years ago. She didn't have to stop breeding, she could have sort out dogs with better bloodlines.

Obviously you have a problem with Janet-a public forum is not always the best place to voice your grievances.

Especially when you do not give all the story in your first post
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.