Border collie issue Discussions

Discussion in 'Border Collie' started by HagNdiwmv, Feb 23, 2022.

1. HagNdiwmv

HagNdiwmv New Member

Name:
    Nat

Border collie issue

I have a 4 month old male border collie.
    Im looking for advice and tips
    My bc will jump on people he knows and get overexited around dogs too, he will jump until he flips if he is on his leash and collar and pee from exitment. I made the mistake of letting him meet dogs on leash multiple times, i dont want this to become and issue so im looking on advice to prevent this and train him out of it. He is also scared to go on walks, he hates cars, scared of random people and noises. He will shut down and Shake somtimes if he gets too scared ans drag me home. Somtimes he is Happy to go on a 100m walk but he wont go further than a certain point! Will this get better as he grows up? Somtimes he will take treats other times he is too scared and then when a dog goes past or near he gets so exited he flips himself and pees :/ I want him to be able to ignore dogs in the future and be able to go further away from the house without being scared! Is this somthing he will grow out of??
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    No, he will not "grow" out of it. You will need to teach him to not jump on people and to not be afraid of such things.

You do not indicate where you are located, but you should find a trainer to help you. You want a positive based trainer who does NOT use prong collars, shock collars, etc. They will teach you how to work with him so he can become a confident dog who trusts you.

While you look for a trainer, I recommend checking out videos by Kikopup on Youtube. She can provide some training tips based on positive reinforcement to teach a dog not to jump on people, how to walk on a leash, etc.
  4. Queensland blue

Queensland blue Member

Name:
    S
    HagNdiwmv likes this.
    Build their confidence slowly , not all pups are born confident super heroes straight off. They run their own races .

pup is only little , a lot of it is normal . Pissing with other dogs not unusual either .
    Introduce them to things slowly you don't want to over do it then have issues because of it either .

if the dog jumps on you you can grab and hold its paws , it will get sick of it pretty quick and give a command to get down also .
    He will learn get down also the words and won’t bother with it .

as for the flips and jumps , excess energy to give an outlet I imagine . Find something to use the energy .

thats my opinion from what I read you say so far .
  5. Queensland blue

Queensland blue Member

Name:
    S
    CaroleC likes this.
    Y
    Yes , you need a trainer to first train people how to train a dog .

If you can not get to a trainer , get a good dog trainer book at the very least .

it is a methodical process , not a random event .

it is a series of processes which bring about desired events for you both .
  6. HagNdiwmv

HagNdiwmv New Member

Name:
    Nat
    Thank you