Borzoi personality traits-can anyone help Questions

Discussion in 'Borzoi' started by Lynne Leo n Lot, Aug 4, 2010.

1. Lynne Leo n Lot

Lynne Leo n Lot New Member

Name:
    Lynne
    Mm. interesting- had not thought about Greyhound/Borzoi cos thought she was Saluki crossed perhaps with something with long silky hair.
    Then the Borzoi breeder saw her, so thought Borzoi or Saluki/Borzoi. And Greyhounds have similar personalities I suppose so..... don't think I'll ever know!
    Mind you Leo is part Greyhound. Father-Deerhound and mother GreyhoundxCollie and their personalities are so different.
    Would you like to see pics of Leo?

As a puppy

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. spot

spot New Member

Erm can I have my dog back please :shock: :lol: :lol:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  4. Lynne Leo n Lot

Name:
    Lynne
    Thank you spot for posting your fabulous photos-she/he is gorgeous and so like Lottie, slightly different nose.
    I presume your dog is a Borzoi?
    Would you have time to post stuff about her/his personality, whether it's similar to Lotties. How tall to the shoulder, any stuff you can think of
  5. chaz

chaz New Member

Name:
    Charlie
    I replied your pm with the link :) I've also just re-read along came Dylan lol, I love that book, Lottie could be like my Lurcher, too smart to know not to do anything unless it benefits you ;) the barking, I'm not really sure whether it could be time on the moors, as if she was out there a long time she may of had to hunt to catch some food to survive, and barking could of prevented her being able to do so easily, but then it may of also been a way of her trying to vocalise to protect herself agaisn't different things, its probally one of them things you'll never truelly know.

Leo is gorgeous, what a handsome dog.
  6. spot

spot New Member

Hiya

Well what can I can say about the boo!

He stands around 32” at the shoulder, he is all legs basically.

Personality wise he is slightly dim although like lottie it could be that he has just trained us but he is loveable. He is very affection and can be a bit demanding in that department but thats cuz we've spoilt him. He loves everyone he meets and expects them to admire and adore him (slightly vain is our Luki):roll:

When he first came here he was rather food aggressive but he had been living on the streets, he could spot a fast food container a mile away and open any wheelie bin that smelt good! That has completely gone now.

He gets on well with the rest of the hounds and is a bit wuss if it comes to confrontation – he is bottom on the pecking order – he's more of a lover than a fighter!:blush:

He can run like the wind although not as fast as my old greyhound was.

He sings constantly – and not in tune either.:evil:

They are soo similar its uncanny – even some of the spots are the same. Luki has a fairly long coat most of the time but we do get him clipped as he can get matted, he is also a velcro dog in that every twig leaf bit of paper whatever sticks to him.

He does have the same tale as your gorgeous Lottie!

[​IMG]

As for what he is – Ive been advised by some very knowledgeable people that he is full borzoi apparently what they call a lemon :lol: I do think he has saluki in him.

As for Lottie I cant see any greyhound in her really, much more saluki like IMO. Saluki x borzoi is a known cross but not that common, especially in light colours.
  7. chaumsong

chaumsong New Member

Name:
    Jane
    Both Lottie and Boo are simply gorgeous :) Lottie looks like a saluki cross to me. Here are some head shots of some of my zois for comparision.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Borzoi heads are longer and leaner and should have prominent veining and without the heavier backskull.
  8. Lynne Leo n Lot

Name:
    Lynne
    Thank you Spot and Chaumsong for your help and for posting your fabulous photos

Yes,Chaumsong, I see what you mean about the long head, Lottie does have the prominent veining though.
    Spot, Luki is fabulous and to think he lived on the street, unbelievable!
    He really was luki to find you

I really think now that Lottie must be Saluki Borzoi cross

I am posting another photo of her favourite pose
    and a photo of a Borzoi taken in 1915, I think Lottie resembles

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:roll:
  9. chaumsong

chaumsong New Member

Name:
    Jane
    Love the photo of Lottie in the chair. Just to confuse you more my brother has a straight collie borzoi cross and she has a similar head too with the longer zoi nose and veining but a heavier backskull.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  10. spot

spot New Member

What gorgeous dogs! But the second one down looks so like Luki it uncanny!

I agree with you about the lovely Lottie - saluki in there somewhere!

They are all gorgeous though.
  11. HiHoSilver

HiHoSilver New Member

Name:
    Charlie
    That' not a borzoi,she's a saluki cross greyhound.The excess coat is because she's neutered.The ears are classic of this cross as is the height.My guess would be that she's 3/4 saluki.The person who could tell you for sure is Denise Rogers of Northern Saluki Welfare,she's seen it all.Ph01302 771143 email denise@denise10.plus.com
  12. Windhound

Windhound New Member

Name:
    Suzanne
    I have to agree that Lottie is most likely a Borzoi/Saluki cross. One of my long dogs was just such a cross a was very similar to your girl in looks and colour. As you can see from the photos of Janes dogs(Chaumsong) there is quite a difference in shape and ear set and head shape. What people refer to as a Roman nose is actually the area just behind the nose where the cartilage is slightly raised.Some people are mistaken and give the impression that the Roman nose is similar to that of a horse,that it starts on the foreface. Your little girl is lovely,and has found the best home for her.