Boxer features in this year's John Lewis Christmas advert General Chat

Discussion in 'Boxer' started by Azz, Nov 10, 2016.

1. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    GsdSlave likes this.
    Taken to the hilt, no firms would be advertising anywhere. Is ITV always ethical in what it allows on its screens? What about the internet?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    GsdSlave likes this.
    I don't really like discussing non doggy politics, on a dog forum but ....
    I am worried by the use of the word, 'hate' in these examples, and think the word 'fear' would probably be more accurate. Yes, some of the daily papers are feeding both these emotions amongst their readership, but I think this sensationalist editorial stance shows how desperately they are fighting for their own survival in a multimedia environment. There can be very few people who are not deeply moved by the tragedies that appear nightly on our televisions, but the recognition that our small nation is not able to adequately care for everybody that wishes to make their home here, does not mean that we have all been brainwashed into hating migrants by the tabloid papers.

@Azz I have been here long enough to know that you have ethical intentions, but how much control do you have over the ads. that appear on Breedia and Dogsey? I am sure that you see them as essential for the survival of these fora.
  4. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    GsdSlave likes this.
    i still don`t get the connection of a xmas add to all the crap the news papers publish.

And yes I use the word "crap" Azz, as that`s what is in many tabloid papers.
  5. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    I cant see any of the above happening, due to a few advertisers pulling out.
  6. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    GsdSlave likes this.
    Good luck with that one then.

Do you really think a few less adds in newspapers are going to put them out of business,

Reality is simple........businesses will not put themselves at risk no matter what and to be honest this campaign is a load of nonesence about nothing.

So you don't like some of the headlines...simple don't buy the paper, if you think making a fuss about a John Lewis add is going to stop a newspaper is going to stop writing about news, your living in cloud cuckoo land.

I'm sick to death of reading and hearing all the racism, hatred accusations that keep getting thrown around because people have concerns about immigration, voting to leave the EU we have voted to leave get over it, we need to control immigration, it's not racist,

Love Xmas and the John Lewis advert, it does not make me a racist.

Maybe Azz if you are so concerned about a tv add funding hatred, your time might be best served researching all the adds that pop up on your sites to make sure they don't offend your morals....
  7. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    6JRT's likes this.
    For some unknown reason I am unable to post on Azz's thread about the John Lewis advertisement. Azz knows this although he does not know why. Neither do I, nor does Effie who built my PC and checked it yet again yesterday. I just want everyone to know that even though yes, I think that Boxer advert it cute, I do not like animals or people to be used as hatred to others.

Please excuse me for perhaps not making sense - I do know what I mean but cannot explain it properly. I am sorry.
  8. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    Azz likes this.
    I do understand what you're saying Azz, but unfortunately "hate headlines" is what sells the newspapers - what news stations use to attract people's attention, good news unfortunately don't sell newspapers or get people to watch news station ie BBC 1
  9. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    It certainly seems to be working. Kellogg's has just pulled out from a media outlet in the USA because of the hate it spewed and the band who's song plays in the John Lewis Christmas ad in this very thread has come out in support of the #stopfundinghate campaign and will be donating all profits from the ad to one of the associated charities.

It's not just about revenue. It's how it affects their brand identity too. Many now see Waitrose and John Lewis as 'funders of hate'. I have even mentioned this in store to the staff who I speak to on a regular basis. They share my view, and I don't think it was to pacify me! (Many gay people work there as do those of ethnic minorities.)

See point above. This is hurting their brand - continue to refuse to act will only hurt their brand more. When was the last time Waitrose and John Lewis were referred to as funders of hate? That's not cloud cuckoo that's reality.

Nobody said it did.

I think you've got it backwards - Breedia isn't a 'hate group' - so companies placing ads here do not fund hate.

Now if the Daily Mail approached us for any kind of meaningful site sponsorship, I would gladly tell them where to go!! ;) :D
  10. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    Chris B and GsdSlave like this.
    So you still shop in John Lewis then, your principles only stretch to calling them out for advertising in tabloids...........on well!!

On a positive note, interest in adopting a Boxer had risen due to the advert .
  11. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    Azz likes this.
    I love the Amazon Christmas advert on tv showing 2 different religious leaders, it shows that different religions can live in peace together.
  12. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    If I am not a customer I will have little chance in influencing them. That's not to say I will always be a customer - if they continue to refuse to act I will gladly shop elsewhere. In fact I have already started to research alternatives (luckily we have some lovely independents and farm shops around here).

While I am still a customer, I will also continue to speak to staff and other customers. I won't be wasting any opportunity to spread the word believe me!
  13. mjfromga

mjfromga Member

Name:
    MJ
    Pork1epe1 likes this.
    @doghiker

Boxers are not the #1 breed in America and never have been from what I can gather. The Labrador has taken this spot for the last 25 years according to the AKC. They are my favorites too and I absolutely believe they deserve the spot.
  14. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Three guesses where those adopted Boxers will be in 12 months time.
  15. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    Jackie likes this.
    "If I am not a customer I will have little chance in influencing them"

Azz, that really makes no sense. You expect John Lewis and other to stop being customers of the press because that constitutes supporting them, but the same doesn't apply to those who give them their support by shopping in their store?
  16. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    Well you`ll have to make sure any of those independent shops and their staff don ever buy the mail, sun, Mirror or any other tabloid newspaper, other wise your stuffed .
  17. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    Not really. Their few quid a year is nothing compared to the millions that big business give them on a regular basis.

I will however do my best to bring the issue to light - who knows, perhaps they will already be aware of how the media manipulate the 'masses' and how their headlines really have little to do with 'political freedom'.
  18. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    6JRT's likes this.
    You are right, it means we are indirectly supporting hate groups by funding the businesses that in turn fund those groups. That's why we are all up in arms.

If these weren't consumer-related businesses (so made their money from somewhere else i.e not from us) we wouldn't feel 'used and abused' like we do now.

After the discussion in this thread I am even more determined to do what I can and let other customers know that the John Lewis group isn't the ethical organisation it says it is.
  19. mjfromga

mjfromga Member

Name:
    MJ
    I am actually completely confused as to the issue at hand?
  20. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    the only problem with your theory, Azz, is that all customers of the advertisers in these publications must be equally culpable. Therefore, to carry this through to its ultimate, you'd be targeting the masses.

What is the difference between the bloke who pops into his newsagent and picks up a copy of a newspaper and the bloke who heads a corporation who advertises in a newspaper? Only a matter of scale really.

Personally, I don't shop at John Lewis. Not because of any campaign (of which I was unaware until your post), but simply because we don't have a branch in the town where I live. I still love the advert though :)
  21. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    And that's what matters - hit them where it hurts most, the big players/advertisers (who should know better anyway).