Breed for Working Trials? General Chat

Discussion in 'Working Dogs Forum' started by Wozzy, Jun 20, 2011.

1. Kerriebaby

Kerriebaby

Name:
    Claire or KB
    what? for me? Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

(no Offence!)
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    ESS do water.

Boxcers? Used to be a woman several decades that did well with them. There is one currently competing.
  4. Wyrd

Wyrd New Member

Name:
    Tasha
    Mine doesn't :roll: :lol:
  5. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    HEHEHE:lol:
  6. Murf

Murf New Member

Name:
    murf
    Any airdales??
  7. labradork

labradork New Member

Name:
    labradork
    There is no guarantees with a dog liking water. One of my old Lab bitches, who was working type, wouldn't step foot in water never mind swim. :roll:

Some breeders of working gundogs will introduce their pups to water at a young age. If in doubt, ask them!
  8. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    Now that is interesting as I have had a hankering to work an Airedale and on the Continent they do compete in Schutzhund etc.

Sadly the stock here is vastly different even though the first police dogs were of this breed!

I asked a breeder recently whether it was my imagination that they appeared to be bred smaller now, she reckoned not, but I am sure Airedales of long ago were much bigger!?

Not seen any in trials but then they are not really a popular dog as pets are they?

Personally all that hairdressing would drive me nuts
  9. ClaireandDaisy

ClaireandDaisy New Member

Name:
    Claire
    No guarantees about anything, let`s face it. Have I got the only GSP who doesn`t retrieve, jump or like getting wet? :roll:
  10. Wyrd

Wyrd New Member

Name:
    Tasha
    Just out of interest, are there any Dalmatians competing in Working Trials?
  11. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    Yep there used to be a couple, one years ago and one more recently.

People tend to start training the dog they have at the time, if they want to move on, they either stay with the breed they love or get one to do the job (or like me have a change).

I cannot rememver if Sandra got her Dally into ticket, the one that retired recently got to WDex I think. She now has a collie
  12. Rookgeordiegirl

Rookgeordiegirl New Member

Name:
    Jeanette
    Airdales are a lot smaller now as are irish Terriers Dad had
    both in the 30s and 40's and the piccies I have seen they really are big dogs, I shall try my best and have a look and see if I can find piccies:grin:
  13. labradork

labradork New Member

Name:
    labradork
    LOL, well the Lab bitch I had didn't like retrieving or swimming. I called her a Labrador Deceiver, cos' retrieving anything was never on her agender. :roll: :lol:
  14. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    I did not think it was my imagination...........:lol:
  15. Wozzy

Wozzy New Member

Name:
    Leanne
    There are a couple in the obedience class I attend and although they are a very handsome breed, this pair have put me off. They have no drive for anything and always seem disinterested. I fear they are not high enough energy for me.

I do like RR's and before I got Flynn I looked into getting one. Again, all the ones i've met have been low drive. I want a dog that is really eager and not one that needs a rocket inserting in it's backside to get moving!

I did fleetingly consider a beardie but too much coat. My dogs get down and dirty when we go for a walk and I couldnt cope with all that muck stuck in all that hair. Bouviers are very nice but i've heard they are quite a stubborn breed and they are also quite heavy set.

Apart from gundogs, terriers and herding breeds, it seems difficult to get a dog that still retains a real working ability. My decision is really leaning towards Aussies.
  16. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    Russian Black Terrier?
  17. Rookgeordiegirl

Rookgeordiegirl New Member

Name:
    Jeanette
    Ive only seen two in obed. comp one was brilliant!
  18. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    They are similar to Schnauzers, a bit weighty for the scale perhaps.
  19. cava14una

cava14una New Member

Name:
    Anne
    What you want is a working Beardie or dare I say trim the coat on a show lines Beardie:blush:

My working Beardie would search forever and is very active and keen. Only thing is I don't know who health tests.

This site may be worth a look
    http://www.spanglefish.com/brambledalebeardedcollies/index.asp
  20. Anne-Marie

Anne-Marie New Member

Name:
    Anne-Marie
    Totally agree, that was the first dog that sprung to my mind too:002: Also Rotties, I did WT with my Rottie bitch many years ago, she adored it and excelled at it too :)
  21. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    We have had very few Rotties who excelled in Working Trials; Terry Hadley made up a Rottie WT Ch, there have not been many with TDex or PDex or both. Fewer still WT Champions.