Broken leg Questions

Discussion in 'French Bulldog' started by Jeff Crook, Jul 4, 2019.

1. Jeff Crook

Jeff Crook New Member

Name:
    Jeff

Broken leg

My little guy broke his left rear leg just jumping up to get a toy out of my hand. He landed on raised threshold for a sliding glass door and it just broke. He turns 9 months old today. And to make matters worse I was supposed to go pick up another puppy Monday July 7th. And I already put a deposit down on the other pup. Is this common? Any advice on getting the other pup? My baby I have now can’t do anything for 6 weeks.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    It's a nightmare when they break a leg as the cast can quickly cause rubbing and irritation. One suggestion that may help is to get a dog pram for him so that you can still get him out and about.

If you get the new pup, make sure you don't let your guy get pestered too much because an invitation to play may make him forget the cast

Be vigilant until 2 or 3 weeks after the cast comes off and by that stage your guy should be up to some rough and tumble with the new puppy
  4. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Chris B likes this.
    Poor puppy. I hope he feels better soon. Would the breeder hang on to the other puppy for a week or two, to let your boy get used to his pot leg, and have a little rest?
  5. mjfromga

mjfromga Member

Name:
    MJ
    I think what he's asking is if it is normal for a dog to break a bone so easily... Because if it is abnormal for the bones to break easily, he has a deposit on another puppy from the same breeder and it is of concern.

I can't be sure... I have had puppies jump from high distances by accident and not be injured whatsoever. Definitely have never seen simply landing weird from jumping up breaking a bone or causing an injury in any way.. Never had a small breed.
  6. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    It's a difficult one because even we can break bones very, very easily whilst at other times take the hardest of knocks without damage.

Landing awkwardly from that jump, could have easily broken the bone as he would have landed at an unnatural angle.

It's not a question that can really be answered
  7. Jeff Crook

Jeff Crook New Member

Name:
    Jeff
    The other pup is coming from a different breeder. My pup with the broken leg is doing great he doesn’t have a cast but he can’t do anything really for 6 weeks. As for having the other breeder hold the other one she would be happy to but my wife is a school teacher and we were really hoping to get a schedule established before school started again. Thanks for all the advice and well wishes.
  8. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Is your boy crate trained? The only way that he will be able to rest with a new puppy in the house will be to crate him, or confine him in another room. I have had to do the six week cage rest when my Löwchen boy damaged his back - it certainly isn't easy, but it does offer the best chance of recovery.
  9. Jeff Crook

Jeff Crook New Member

Name:
    Jeff
    Malka and CaroleC like this.
    We have him in a crate now he doesn’t like it at all. We also bought one of those play pens.
  10. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Malka likes this.
    Hope it all goes well.
  11. Jeff Crook

Jeff Crook New Member

Name:
    Jeff

Attached Files:

12. Allan Warnock

Allan Warnock New Member

Name:
    Allan
    My pup (6/7 months) broke his elbow just over 6 weeks ago. The most likely cause was continuous impact from jumping up and down (which they seem to love doing). A Humeral Condylar Fracture on the front left leg. Surgery to insert screws and plates was required. The vet did ask what food he's had from being a young pup. The vet in question said that over the past 4 years they have gone from doing 1 surgery on Frenchie leg breaks every few months to 1 surgery every week on Frenchies aged 5 months and over. He seems to think it could be to do with the lack of calcium in the raw food diet a lot of owners favour. Making the growing bone weaker esp in the elbow joint as the knuckle at the end of the humerus bone isn't fused/solid, it's split in the middle (like forks on a bike). Apparently It doesn't take much impact to snap the end of the humerus in the elbow joint.
    Anyway mines under house arrest, in a crate with a puppy pen to move around in. He's like a coiled spring. He just wants to run and jump everywhere (between sniffs). Another 3 to 4 weeks before he can start living a 'normal' life
  13. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Poor little chap. I hope that he heals well, and is soon bouncing around again.
  14. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    Aw, bless him. I hope he makes a full recovery and can get back to what he best at doing - running and bouncing around :)

I think the problem if not with the raw food diet itself, but no getting the balance right. I'm not an advocate, but if done properly, all the nutrients, vitamins and minerals can be achieved
  15. Jeff Crook

Jeff Crook New Member

Name:
    Jeff
  16. Jeff Crook

Jeff Crook New Member

Name:
    Jeff
    Sorry to hear that. Now that I have two of them we purchased insurance today. We love them so much!