Bull Arab Discussions

Discussion in 'Bull Breeds Forum' started by Discussion Thread, May 7, 2004.

1. Discussion Thread

Discussion Thread New Member

Bull Arab

Bull Arab
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. bolty

bolty New Member

Name:
    Shane
    "What is a Bull Arab? Well the name Bull Arab came about around 26 to 28 years ago, when a fellow by the name of Mick Hodges, living in and around Brisbane at the time , ended up with a mistake litter of pups out of a Bullterrier bitch called Bull and a Doberman dog called Arab. Whilst writing an advertisement in the local paper to sell the pups in a hurry after work, he wrote down Bull Arab pups, instead of Bull – Doberman pups and did not even realise this until his first few phone calls that Saturday morning. A good number of people rang enquiring about the Bull Arab pups, and seeing the opportunity, Mick carried on the name for a number of years, selling just about anything he could get his hands on as a Bull Arab. A joint breeding program with a couple of other blokes soon kicked into gear and by putting together Bullterrier, Greyhound and Pointer for tenacity, speed and hunting ability, they started work on the Bull Arab that is commonly used today and still very much the type that it was when first put together 5 or6 years after the name came about." This is a quote from an article about Bull Arabs.
    (Here are some pics of Bull Arabs)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  4. Housedog

Housedog New Member

Name:
    Jim Mc Cafferty.
    Magnificent Canines, :)
  5. Laura

Laura New Member

Name:
    Laura
    Yes very nice. Are they bred true to type or just straight crosses.
    Last edited: May 19, 2005
  6. Shadowboxer

Shadowboxer Fondly Remembered

Name:
    SB
    I think they are just one of the several crosses used to make up the Australian pig dogs. They are usually crosses of the large speedy dogs, greyhound, wolfhounds, etc. with the strong solid dogs, mastifs, boxers, etc. They have the speed to chase down the pigs and the strength to hold them until the hunter arrives.
  7. Laura

Laura New Member

Name:
    Laura
    Ahh thanks for that SB. Lovely dogs nonetheless. I seen some lovely crosses on the Australian Boar Dogs website, really like the EBT X APBT crosses.
  8. Shadowboxer

Shadowboxer Fondly Remembered

Name:
    SB
    There are some splendid looking specimens Laura. Only the strong and fast survive of course so I suppose the good ones that can pass on their characteristics are highly valued. It can be a brutal way of life for the dogs, unfortunately not all turn out to be fast enough, strong enough, or game enough but, a good pig dog is, I am led to believe, worth its weight in gold.
  9. Moli

Moli New Member

Name:
    pat
    What a fantastic looking dog....
  10. Laura

Laura New Member

Name:
    Laura
    Yes true working dogs SB, I guess it must be a hard way of life but am sure in the hands of experienced owners the dogs do well and become accustomed to it....and as you say the less capable are weeded out.

Lovely animals.
  11. bolty

bolty New Member

Name:
    Shane
    Moderator Edit: Link removed
    Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2005
  12. doggy mad

doggy mad New Member

well i did look and no to some its not nice ripping pigs up but these dogs have been bred for this .... i maybe dont like the look of it but atleast they are not fighting other dogs not saying the pig doesnt have feelings to just another sort of hunting like we have fox hunting here
  13. MBll

MBll New Member

Name:
    ?
    I can't see the pictures????
  14. bolty

bolty New Member

Name:
    Shane
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

there you go MBll :grin:
  15. MBll

MBll New Member

Name:
    ?
    Ta ...so that is what they look like...they look big dogs are they the same size as alsatians?
  16. bolty

bolty New Member

Name:
    Shane
    i dont no hear is 1 next to the owner ;-)
    [​IMG]
  17. Wolfie

Wolfie New Member

Name:
    Corrie
    Beautiful dogs :grin:

They look like long legged English bulls.
  18. bolty

bolty New Member

Name:
    Shane
    straight cross between BULL TERRIER and GREYHOUND :grin: any dog that is a cross between a long dog and solid strong dog is considered/classed as a bull arab (look up --- AUSSIE PIG DOG --- ;-) )

most bull arab dogs that i have seen have had a mix of just to give a idea of breeds that get used in the bull arab ;-)

mastiff
    bull mastiff
    bull terrier
    pointer
    pit
    dane
    greyhound
    deerhound

some more pics :grin: :grin: :grin:
    bull arab mix?
    [​IMG]

bull arab mix?
    [​IMG]

bull mastiff X wolfhound
    [​IMG]

dane-mastiff X ridgeback-pit
    [​IMG]

greyhound X greyhound-pit
    [​IMG]
  19. Kellby

Kellby New Member

After looking at the pics here I have some answers to what our latest pup is. The vet couldn't tell us and the pet shop we got her from said she was a labrador cross, maybe on her great aunt's side twice removed. She looks very similar to a couple of the photo's here but bit finer in build.

cheers Kell
  20. Vicki6344

Vicki6344

Name:
    Vicki
    Rats - I can't see the first lot of pictures :-(
  21. Wolfie

Wolfie New Member

Name:
    Corrie

This is one stunning dog :smt049 :smt049