Buying a Frenchie advice needed General Chat

Discussion in 'French Bulldog' started by Gaby Morgan, Jul 9, 2021.

1. Gaby Morgan

Gaby Morgan New Member

Name:
    Gaby Morgan

Buying a Frenchie advice needed

Hi all,

New around here but hoping you can help. I’m looking at getting a French bulldog puppy, I’ve been doing a lot of research into the potential health issues, and the best things to ask a potential breeder.

I’ve found a breeder who seems like she’s being totally forthcoming with any info she has, both parents are KC registered with scores of 2.8 and 4.5%, cataracts clear etc. However I’ve been reading about BOAS, spinal and knee cap issues. I’ve asked her and neither parents have been specifically checked for these. Is this a real concern?

Other things to note:
    - Both parents have had ‘general health checks’ (not really sure what that covers!),
    - The puppies were born naturally (which I hear is unusual?!)
    - The mum is only 2 and it’s her first litter. - - Puppies come vaccinated, have had 2 vet checks, wormed and chipped.

My partner is very cautious having bought a frenchie 10 years ago for an ex ( ‍♀️) who had a twisted stomach and cost them over £10k in the first 4 weeks. Ofcourse no insurance covered it… so I guess I’m trying to fathom what is ‘normal risk’ when buying a breed that can have issues, and what’s being a responsible new doggy owner!

Appreciate all your help!!!

thanks

Gaby
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    All the bulldogs are very prone to major health issues. Even something that sounds as simple as a skin rash can become a major expense trying to diagnose the cause.

Personally, I would not buy a breed that has been so poorly bred. I would look for another breed or consider adopting a rescue frenchie where their health issues are already known.
  4. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    I sense you are in the UK. The French Bulldog Club of England is the 'parent' club and a valuable source of information.
    www.frenchbulldogclubofengland.org.uk
    Most countries will have a National Breed Club or Society.