Buying a Wolf Dog Cross - (split from Mahooli's standard thread) Controversial

Discussion in 'Northern Inuit Dog' started by werewolf, May 7, 2009.

1. wolfdogowner

wolfdogowner New Member

Name:
    Yes 'tiz strange to see this old discussion! Having seen what has been going on since I can't say I am any more enamoured with what the breeders are doing in the UK.

A breeder in the UK said to me a couple of years ago that the Saarloos MUST change if it is to survive as a breed. I had to tell them that for me, no matter how much I love the breed, survival of the breed is not important; only the survival and well being of the individual animals that exist today. How many of the original Saarloos that came over from France are still alive and of them how many are happily living in pet homes?

If people don't like the breed for what it is then they don't want a Saarloos. It brings little to the table when mixed with other breeds; sure there is a bit more wolfy look but in terms of temperament then I don't see that adding a dog breed with inherent wolf qualities is of any advantage to pet owners whatsoever.

The CsV is perhaps a bit more robust in its temperament and can adapt better but who knows what it will be turned into by the hands of the unscrupulous cross breeders?

Morning rant over!
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Tassle

Tassle New Member

Name:
    H
    Its a good and sensible rant though ;)
  4. tazer

tazer

Name:
    Tazer/Taz
    Very interesting I agree, esp when I compair my posts on this thread, to some of my more recent ones, correction, a lot of my more recent ones...Some would say, I was so much nicer back then...Maybe, it was cos I was still listening, where as now, I've heard quite enough, to know where I stand.
  5. boredinstroud

boredinstroud New Member

Name:
    Emily
    Hi there - to those who have described the Sarloos as 'reserved' or 'shy' does that mean he/she is nervous of people, other dogs? Also I am guessing they have a high prey drive? What are they like on recall, or does it vary?

Sorry if the questions are daft, just trying to imagine what kind of behaviour you would be seeing from him/her and what kind of problem that might cause. (I'm a novice owner with a NI x GSD who is a beautiful girl and the love of my life)