Campanion for Millie Questions

Discussion in 'Shih Tzu' started by Dean A Ocque, Jan 19, 2022.

1. Dean A Ocque

Dean A Ocque New Member

Name:
    Dean

Campanion for Millie

We have a 10 month old Shih Tzu. We would love to get her a companion. The obvious answer is another Shih Tzu and if I had the choice I would get another. But the Wife has other ideas.

What she wants is a dog that can go on hikes with her. So with that in mind what are your ideas for a companion dog for Millie? Oh and we would probably get a puppy.

Thanks in advance.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    CaroleC and Chris B like this.
    We'll need more information.

First, when your wife says "hikes", what exactly does she mean? 1-2 hour walks along a fairly flat trail along a river, in a nature area, etc? Or a 10+ hour hike in the mountains with major elevation changes? Or? And how often? Once a week? Every day? A couple times a month? Year round?

Next, what are you willing to in regards to grooming? As much as with Millie? Do you groom her yourselves or pay someone? How do their rates vary - by size of dog or coat type? More for deshedding?

Outside of hiking, what type of activities are you willing to do with the dog? Do you have an enclosed yard for them? Daily walks? Dog sports like agility, tracking, etc?

Do you have any other pets? Kids? If so what types? What ages?

What does Millie say? Why do you think she needs/wants a companion? If it's because she spends a lot of time alone each day, then getting a second dog could simply result in two bored dogs for hours each day.

How much are you willing to do in the way of training? Basic potty training and manners? Formal obedience training? Advanced obedience?

Why probably a puppy? Would you consider an adult dog? Do you plan on buying from a breeder? Or adopting?
  4. Dean A Ocque

Dean A Ocque New Member

Name:
    Dean
    My Wife hikes various areas. But nothing too hilly due to a knee replacement. Maybe an hour or two.
    The reason for the second dog is that Millie enjoys the company of other dogs. She is not bored and is very active.
    As for a puppy, we have had very bad luck with adopting in the past. I don't think bringing in an adult dog is wise. If Millie was a big dog maybe.
  5. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    How about the other questions?
  6. Dean A Ocque

Dean A Ocque New Member

Name:
    Dean
    Just Wife, dog and I.
    The next dog would be treated the same as we did/do Millie. She gets groomed monthly, she was sent to obedience training.
    We are active when weather permits. Many of our walks are just enjoying being outside.
    Most of the other questions are money related and don't really about costs.
    It is hard finding smaller dogs to adopt in our area. Most of the local shelters are full of pitbull mixes and other large dog breeds. Plus you don't usually go to a shelter and hear that the dog was surrendered due to it being to loving.
  7. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    Thanks.

First, having done rescue for years, most dogs (and other pets) are given up because the OWNER did not put in the effort with the dog. This may show up as a dog with problems, but in most cases, with a proper home willing to put the work into the dog, the dog will be a wonderful loving dog.

That leads to the second comment. I highly recommend you take the dog to an obedience course yourselves instead of "sending it to training". This is because, you build a much stronger bond with the dog right from the beginning. Long-lasting trust is built.

Now, for your actual question. I've included potential negatives. I reccommend you research the breeds carefully and talk to responsible breeders - if the breeder/seller won't tell you what's bad about the breed, that's a major sign to go elsewhere.

Possible breeds:

Beagle - minimal grooming, is vocal and prone to following her nose so keeping her on leash is important.

Border terrier - as a terrier, can be a bit tenacious and full of energy

Sheltie - has a tendency to be very shy, so it is extremely important to provide proper socialization right from the start (socialization meaning introduce him to as many experiences as possible) and to make sure both parents are confident dogs from confident lines.

Miniature Pinscher - minimal grooming, escape artists, very independent, can be too much for first time or inexperienced owners.

Corgi - as a herding dog is independent.

With all of these breeds, they are more active than your shih tzu, so will need more regular exercise outside of the hiking.

The min pin is the smallest of the bunch.

With all, I really really (can't say really enough) reccommend you take them to training yourselves. With the sheltie, you need to ensure no aversive techniques are used on her - they can cause her natural shyness to turn into fearfulness. With the other breeds, they are smart enough to know that what they learned at school can be ignored at home because you weren't the one training them.

My area is the same in regards to dog breeds in the local shelters. However, oftentimes, if you go to a nearby county's shelter they will have different breeds. This is especially true with wealthier counties.

You can also look for a breed specific rescue. And even a breeder may have a dog who is older and being retired from their breeding program who still has many years of active life ahead of them.

Also, be sure to bring Millie to meet any prospective puppy/dog. You want to make sure there is no issue between the two dogs specifically.
  8. Dean A Ocque

Dean A Ocque New Member

Name:
    Dean
    Oh I am sorry. Taking to training we participated in. We left her for a few hours, then we recapped at the end. Now we go once a week with her to further her training.
  9. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    Helidale likes this.
    That's better than a full board & train, but I would find one where you participate from the beginning.
  10. Michael Ussher

Michael Ussher New Member

Name:
    Michael
    Are you looking for another hypoallergenic pup / dog ?