Catahoula Leopard Dog - possible mix? Questions

Discussion in 'Catahoula Leopard Dog' started by pinkcam101, Jun 5, 2013.

1. pinkcam101

pinkcam101 New Member

Name:
    Claire

Catahoula Leopard Dog - possible mix?

Hi there

I just joined this site today as I've had the DNA results back on my lurcher and although one parent was a greyhound the results say the other parent is a great dane mixed with one of 4 possibilites, one of which is a Catahoula Leopard Dog. Reading the breeds traits that would certainly describe my dog. However, as I understand it they are not bred in this country and how would a dog rescued from somewhere in Wales have any of this breed in his background??? Can anyone confirm this? Wanted to attach picture but can't see how to do that.
    Thanks is advance for any info.
    Claire
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    [​IMG]
    I am afraid that I cannot give you any advice regarding the possible DNA results, but

4. pinkcam101

pinkcam101 New Member

Name:
    Claire
    Thanks for the welcome. What a beautiful dog :)
  5. Lacey10

Lacey10 New Member

Name:
    Eileen
    :mini:
    Welcome to Dogsey!:grin:
    Hope you get advice on posting your photo, really interested to see you dog :grin:
  6. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Thank you Claire - I think she is beautiful but then I am biased! :grin:

If you have your photographs on your computer you can use Photobucket to post them on Dogsey, but personally I only use TinyPic now. [http://tinypic.com/]
  7. Kanie

Kanie New Member

Name:
    Margaret
    I very much question the validity of DNA testing for dogs. Every breed we have began as either a local 'type' that was then standardised, or by deliberately crossing existing breeds or types, so (as you rightly point out) it is possible that your lurcher has some ancestory that is similar to whatever types or breeds went into the Catahoula.

Looking at them - at a guess, I'd say some herding dog, some scent hound, some running dog and some bull -type..............all of which it would be quite feasible to find somewhere in a lurcher's ancestory.