Cavalier/Westie Cross - Looking for photos of this cross General Chat

Discussion in 'West Highland White Terrier' started by oldboy, Jun 18, 2010.

1. oldboy

oldboy New Member

Name:
    Jon

Cavalier/Westie Cross - Looking for photos of this cross

Hello!

We are new to the dogsey world! Currently we have a 1 1 /2 year old Westie and she is just a little darling. Our breeder informed us that she now has a litter of cavalier/westie mixed puppies and it comes at a perfect time because we want to get our little Penny a sister. I can't for the life of me find pictures of adult dogs of this breed- does anyone have a cav/westie cross with pictures they would like to share (adult pics...I can only find puppy pics of the dog which is fine but I'd like an idea of what it will look like when fully matured)? I just love the cavs but can't handle the shedding because of my allergies which is why we went with the Westie in the first place- I'm thinking the cross between the two dogs would make the shedding very manageable (as it is almost non-existent with our little Penny).

Thank you so much!
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Member

Name:
    DevilDogz
    Hello and welcome to DOGSEY! ~ I hope there is some one that can show you a picture of an adult cav cross westie, although it does not mean that any pup you got of this cross would turn out to look anything like pictures you have seen - You see when you are cross breeding, you dont have a clue what will come out the litter in all aspects, from height, looks, tempermants, health ect!
    You can also not be sure that the cross puppies would be manageable, shedding wise - as you can not be sure what the puppies coat types would be like.
    Enjoy the forums :mrgreen:
  4. littlewolf

littlewolf New Member

Name:
    Elle
    I'd love to know what one looked like too- does she have a funky name. A Westilier perhaps :blush: sorry!
  5. Meg

Meg Global Moderator

Name:
    Meg
    Hi Jon :) welcome to Dogsey. If Penny is 18 months old that is a good time of think of getting another dog if you would like to have two.

I am going to be honest with you although it may not be what you wish to hear.
    A Cavalier/Westie cross is not actually a breed, to be correct it is a cross breed. The two breeds have entirely different types of coats and there is no telling what kind of coats the pups from this mating will produce but there is a good chance they will shed to some extent. if you want a dog which doesn't shed you are better sticking to a recognised breed.
    'What will it look like when mature', no one can know for sure, puppies in the litter may look like either breed or a mix of the two likewise with inherited traits but the adult dog should be a small dog.

Another thing to consider is the issue of health, cross breeds may inherit disease from either of the two breeds being used. All dogs being bred from should have the relevant health tests for their breed . I am not sure what tests if any are recommended for Westies and think they are pretty healthy little dogs though they can have allergies and skin problems. Cavaliers are delightful little dogs but the breed has a number of serious health problems , details of the various health problems of any breed and the relevant tests can be found on the breed websites.

Good breeders of any breed don't allow their dogs to be used for the purpose of crossbreeding and I would doubt the motives of anyone crossbreeding dogs.

If buying a dog I would stick to an established breed and if the cost of a dog from a particular breed is too expensive try contacting the breed specific rescues.

If you just want a crossbreed dog try one of the many dog rescues, they are full of deserving dogs looking for loving homes.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2010
  6. malwhit

malwhit New Member

Name:
    Malcolm
    I would imagine a Westie/Cavalier litter to have varied coat types from wire hared/no moulting to long haired lke a Cavalier. I have two Labradoodles - one does not moult but the other moults for England.

If you like Westes why not get another, or go for another non-moulting breed like a Mini Schnauzer, Bichon, or Toy or Mini Poodle.
  7. Kerryowner

Kerryowner

Name:
    Stephanie
    I am asthmatic and allergic to dogs that don't moult so wouldn't personally risk getting a cross-breed where one is moulting sort and other not. My niece's cross-breed makes me ill.

There is a good book I got from our Library called "sneeze-free dog breeds" that may be helpful in giving you a choice of what may suit.

Have also seen a few cross-breeds that don't look anything like what they are supposed to be! Saw one today which I was told was a Westie x Cairn but it looked just like a badly-bred Yorkie! Even the owner said she thought it looked like a Yorkie. Would they turn out looking so dissimilar from their parent breeds?
  8. lozzibear

lozzibear New Member

Name:
    Lauren
    i wouldnt touch that 'breeder' with a barge pole if she is breeding cavaliers and westies :roll:
  9. oldboy

oldboy New Member

Name:
    Jon
    Thank you for all the replies- VERY helpful!

I agree completely with pretty much everything everyone has said :-D The cavalier/westie cross was actually an accident and the breeder felt terrible- she breeds westies and cavaliers. We got our little Penny (Westie) from her and were thinking about a Cav or another Westie and then the breeder called us and told us about the "accident" and we decided to take one of those pups. We named the new pup Piper...so now we have two "p's" in a pod- Penny and Piper :-D Our breeder is very reputable and she does a two year health guarantee and offers to take each and every puppy or dog back if for some reason someone decides they don't want it anymore to ensure it doesn't end up at the pound or at a bad home, etc. so I'm not worried about the overall health of the dog but I appreciate all the advice and replies! We shall see what she grows up to look like- if she is ugly, we will love her all the same :)
  10. JoedeeUK

JoedeeUK Member

Name:
    Deejay
    There is no such thing as an accidental litter. It is a bitch owners duty to ensure that there are never any opportunities for unplanned matings to occur. This does smack of the moneymaking designer crossbreed.

As for the 2 year "warranty"it is not worth the paper it is written on. Syringomyelia can manifest itself any time so offering a non lifetime warranty doesn't mean anything.

Does she have all her Cavaliers MRI scanned, heart & eye tested ?.

Your puppy will not be non shedding that is one thing you can be certain of & in any case it isn't the coat that causes the problem, it is the dander-dead skin cells etc & all dogs shed dander.

Sorry to write this, but you have been duped. I do hope that your little dog doesn't develop any of the mutual health conditions of the two breeds.

Any reason why your profile shows your dog as a Shar Pei ??