chicken bone Health

Discussion in 'Staffordshire Bull Terrier' started by katie134, Sep 20, 2016.

1. mjfromga

mjfromga Member

Name:
    MJ
    Really? I know now not to feed my dogs cooked bones but my previous dog got plenty handed to him when I was a child and my current two have stolen them before. None have ever come to any harm. Pretty terrible how the one time he got a bone, all this happened...
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    Well done for getting him to the vet. Cooked bones can be a real nightmare. I have everything crossed that your boy makes a full recovery xx
  4. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Yes Myra, I can remember my first dog being given our lamb chop bones, and having no ill effects. I suppose some dogs are gentle and chew them into tiny pieces - others just crack and swallow. Eddie split one of his large molars on a knuckle bone last year, which led to two dental operations as the huge cavity would not heal. Bones are banished from this house now, which is a pity as there is nothing better for keeping dogs occupied, and teeth sparkling.
    I'm so sad for Blue as it wasn't Katie's misjudgement - just some thoughtless scruff throwing litter onto the street. Vet bills are so expensive, and she's only a youngster.
  5. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Such a worry and everything crossed that Blue will be OK. Chicken drumstick [or thigh] bones would be much longer than three inches though but when cooked can caused splintering. And Blue should have a good strength chomble, but who knows?

It just seems to have happened so quickly since Blue ate the chicken bone - do you think it is possible that he had eaten something nasty earlier?

I do hope the little fella will be OK. It is horrible when one of our furkids is ill and we do not know why.
  6. katie134

katie134 New Member

Name:
    katie
    hi Malka , no I'm sure he hasn't Eat anything else as he was with me all day and when we go out his left in the hallway with the kitchen door closed and there is no food around . I only feed him his meals a day and sometimes he get an apple or banana . He does eat bones made for dogs and Ived never had any issues with them , I don't think they would have caused him to vomit blood . His was fine beforehand and the next morning he work up is when everything started to happen so I can't really think of anything else . Im not sure exactly how big the chicken bone is but it was big and when trying to get it out of his mouth he Crunch it into two and swallowed it , this is what worried me is when it spilt into two how sharp the edges were . when this happened to blue I didn't think it was gonna be this serious . we're gonna take him back to the vet today and him him checked over , his really not himself today he looks very sad , hopefully thing will go well .thank you everyone for your support and ill keep you updated .
  7. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Kate I do not know what to think. Just that a 3 inch bone should not cause major problems within hours of eating it.

I definitely do not like your vet's reaction though. I just hope that Blue will be OK.
  8. katie134

katie134 New Member

Name:
    katie
    I hope it's nothing really serious , the bleeding is what's really worried me . His not vomited today but the have gave him medicine to stop that and he can't eat because his having an xray hopefully . yes I was worried last night incase they missed something , and today like I said his not himself and his shaking , we're going now anyways so I will let you know when he gets home .
  9. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    katie134 likes this.
    Hope all goes well x
  10. katie134

katie134 New Member

Name:
    katie
    Just got back from the vets , they said he seems very well and the bleeding could of been from the bone scratching his stomach but he will recover . They said if he starts to vomit again we have to rush him back in but they think he will be fine . poor thing is not himself his very down , even met a doggy outside the house and blue is usually trying to jump all over them he was just seating there not really bothering . He hasn't been able to eat because we thought he might of needed an xray so he very hungry and because I don't have a car we've had to use London transport to a vet quite far away so that's not made him feel good . Now his home his gonna rest up for the night and hopefully in a couple of days he will be back to himself . just really shocked at how bad things got because of the chicken bone it's really worrying .
  11. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    I'm so pleased that the vets are not worried about him. You must feel better too! I hope Blue can sleep himself better, and then come bouncing back again. It must be a big problem using busy London Transport, and coping with a poorly dog, so well done you! I hope you will be able to get some sleep tonight.
  12. katie134

katie134 New Member

Name:
    katie
    Malka and CaroleC like this.
    Me too so happy , I know his a dog but his like my baby lol. yes hopefully he will be more himself . yes I am knackered ived also been feeling very ill myself today so it was horrible, his very nervous In the train station as well which makes it hard , but glad his home and resting now .
  13. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    katie134 likes this.
    My dogs have always been like my children. I remember only too well being told Pereg was "just a dog and you can always get another one" and thinking "sure, and if it was your child how would you feel if I said you can always have another one.

Our dogs rely on us, as do our children, so why think of them any different?

My puppy is my bubba - my baby. I love her and I think that in a dog's way she loves me too.
  14. katie134

katie134 New Member

Name:
    katie
    I know how you feel , when you have something that depends on you all the time , you do feel the need to protect them . It's been a very hard first year with blue first with him being very badly attacked by two dogs , then his allergies that were so bad that so many people were shocked when they seen him , the poor dog was in cone and socks for like 4 months now we're getting this under control this goes and happens . He also has had it very hard with other dogs since being a pup I can't let him off the lead because dogs always want to attack him , we had a trainer but it don't stop other dogs , even my friends dog who is the most placid dog around other dogs went for him the other day and blue was only sniffing his face. I feel so bad on him his the most loving dog as well . Hopefully as he grows up he won't be picked on as much as I get such guilt for not letting him off the lead . We have to walk him 2 hours a day and play football with him in the garden and it would be a lot easier on me if I could just let him run round the park .
  15. Andrew Sheldon

Andrew Sheldon Member

Name:
    Andrew
    Ermmmm....chill out a wee bit maybe.............hope all is ok with his tummy........yes they are like children........very naughty children........good luck.........
  16. Andrew Sheldon

Andrew Sheldon Member

Name:
    Andrew
    That sounded kind of bad........... It's not easy bringing up dogs....and we do worry and care about them so much.......
  17. Andrew Sheldon

Andrew Sheldon Member

Name:
    Andrew
    My little dog Tootsy nicks chicken bones from next door.....I grab them off of her as soon as I see them. ( the French use them as part of their compost....dumb huh ) But am sure she has had one or two....Sounds like you have been a bit unlucky....Cone socks......hmmmmm...sounds kinda cool......
    Hope he gets well as soon as pos......................
  18. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    katie134 likes this.
    Sure - and it is not easy bringing up a disabled child. Nor is it easy looking after a severely epileptic dog. Telling Katie to "chill out" when she was so worried about her pup, was a wee bit not very nice.
  19. Andrew Sheldon

Andrew Sheldon Member

Name:
    Andrew
    Yes....very sorry all...........he sounds a lovely dog..........
  20. Andrew Sheldon

Andrew Sheldon Member

Name:
    Andrew
    katie134 likes this.
    And a very loving mum..............
  21. Andrew Sheldon

Andrew Sheldon Member

Name:
    Andrew
    katie134 likes this.
    Anyhow...Tootsy didn't ask to go for a walk first thing this morning....Which gave me the chance take it easy first thing...I gave her a walk in the afternoon...Its still pretty hot here in the South of France so she didn't go nuts and we had a pretty pleasant laid back walk.....which was nice.....didn't get to see her bum running off into the distance.....too much......