Chihuahua has mass on Spleen Questions

Discussion in 'Chihuahua' started by tara branca, Sep 8, 2016.

1. tara branca

tara branca New Member

Name:
    tara

Chihuahua has mass on Spleen

Hi All,
    I am new here and looking for some advice or experience. My 9 year old female Chihuahua was just diagnosed with a mass on her spleen. It most likely is cancer and if it's not, its a hematoma that will just get bigger and rupture and kill her. So, it's a lose lose situation. She is anemic right now and surgery is not an option. The only way it is an option is if its not cancer and she is healthy enough for surgery. I have been researching this and these masses I can't find any cases of a Chihuahua getting this! It is driving me crazy that SHE had to get this! She is the best dog. I also feel guilty since having 3 kids I haven't given her the attention she once got. I am just a mess. Has anyone heard of a Chihuahua getting this? These are just not on the list for health problems for them. I feel so unlucky with this and she is so unlucky to get this. Mind you, I have had her on the best food growing up and for a while, she has been on Blue Buffalo. She sees her vet yearly, there is no smoking in my house, she doesn't get table food...I just don't know how or why she got this.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Yazmin likes this.
    I am so sorry to hear this and apologise that I have no advice for you, except please do not feel guilty that looking after your children might has lessened the attention she once had.

Not knowing anything about this, all I can think is that if it is a haematoma and not cancer, then it possibly was caused by trauma which damaged her spleen.

All I can do is hope that she will be OK whichever way it goes, and will pray for her. All you can do is just love her.

I think maybe you could do with some (((hugs))) so they are on the way.
  4. Yazmin

Yazmin New Member

Name:
    Yazmin
    Oh dear how sad :(, I second what @Malka said about not feeling guilty. The lovely things about dogs is that their love for you is endless and I'm sure she felt like an important part of your family. I don't have any advice I just hope it isn't cancer and she pulls through. Poor babba
  5. tara branca

tara branca New Member

Name:
    tara
    Thank you. Malka, I thought trauma too as my 2 year old has sat on her a couple times but it's got to be severe trauma like hit by a car, falling out a window, etc. I just brought her back to the vet, I'm lucky if I get a few months with her. They are starting treatment to get her well enough to consider surgery but even with that she may just have 6 months to a year. I'm sick of crying...thank you again both.
  6. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Tara, please do not beat yourself up with "if only". Maybe your toddler did sit on her a couple of times, and maybe bounced a wee bit too hard, but with a tiddler like a Chi it would not take severe trauma to cause spleen damage. Actually that is severe trauma in itself, especially when you think of the difference in their weights. And it is not your fault because you cannot watch all of them all the time. If it is a it is a haematoma then as long as no more trauma/damage is caused it is possible that the haematoma can be absorbed.

If it is cancer that is something you will have to think about. How will surgery and whatever treatment might be needed afterwards, affect her day to day living. Do not forget that you have three small children to cope with, let alone a little dog who will be going through some possibly nasty treatment.

Maybe another six months or even a year will be worth it for you, but with no guarantee that you would even have that with her, you have to think of her well-being as well as your feelings.

And yes, I do know how you feel.

More (((hugs))) are needed I think.
  7. tara branca

tara branca New Member

Name:
    tara
    Yes, you are right, I have lots to consider. I Just found out today it's most likely cancer. But she also has severe anemia and auto immune disease . In order to even consider surgery, she has to get her red blood cells up. She has a 50/50 shot of getting through this part. If she does, surgery can be an option. My head is spinning. Right now I'm just trying to make her comfortable and happy and take it day by day. Thank you for your support.
  8. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I have no magic answers but please try to look after yourself first. Because you have three small children who need you and you have to be "with it" to look after them. If they sense that your head is spinning because of your little Chi - even very young children can sense when momma is upset about something without knowing what it is.

You have to be strong for yourself and for your children. I am not saying that you should not be strong for your little Chi but you are the important one here.

And sometimes fighting the unbeatable only harms both fighters.

[​IMG]
  9. natasha813

natasha813 New Member

Name:
    natasha
    hi Tara I'm a cvt and blown away ! my chihuahua 9.5 years old just got diagnosed with a splenic mass as well. it's typically a large breed thing . your the first I've come across with chi too. it's heartbreaking. I just got Bubbas bloodwork back today . everything is still good on his for now . he's having surgery next week to remove his spleen
  10. My Dog Store

My Dog Store New Member

Name:
    Andy Gunn
    This is so sad! The cause of this cancer is still unknown. Praying for her.
  11. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Any further news Natasha, has your Chi made a good recovery?
  12. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    I did a bit of research before getting my Chihuahua and I'm sure there was no mention of splenic mass. The diagnosis must have been a real shock and I really hope you can give us good news.