Chinese crested lowdown please! General Chat

Discussion in 'Chinese Crested' started by Tammy1976, Aug 15, 2012.

1. Tammy1976

Tammy1976 New Member

Name:
    Tammy

Chinese crested lowdown please!

Hiya

I have been actively searching for a companion for my puppy for 3 weeks now and I have the opportunity to purchase a chinese crested.

I have seen many pictures of her and chatted with the breeder and I am smitten however I am slightly scared that I could not offer her the best home as I have had no experience with a hairless dog and I am worried that this breed will be harder to look after than your regular hairy friend lol.

I have read up as much as I can and I am aware that sunscreen/jumpers are a must but it is the silly things that niggle me such as... is she more likely to injure herself without fur? do hairless dogs still like to be stroked (considering it seems I would just be stroking skin?)

These questions may seem silly and I apologise for my naivety but I really need to be 100% certain I can offer her a perfect home.

I will massively appreciate anyone with experience of this breed to reply with all the ins and outs of ownership.

Many thanks, Tammy
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. SarahJade

SarahJade New Member

Name:
    SJ
    I would honestly recommend waiting until your pup is much older. Having a companion for her may seem like a good idea but having a young puppy and another dog may prove to be a lot of trouble, regardless of breed.
    There are many reason to wait, such as adding another dog will have a knock on effect to your training, and also your relationship with your dog.
    I'm also not sure that a CC would be the best match for a pug/french bulldog. From what I have seen from CC they seem quite chilled and gentle in comparison and I would worry that your cross breed puppy may end up causing stress or harm during rough play with a dog without fur for protection and of a smaller weight/build. Maybe I am wrong with this thought but thought I would mention my concerns for you to consider.

That said everyone is entitled to their own opinion and if you do decide to go ahead I wish you all the luck in the world and with careful introductions and supervision I like to think most dogs can become firm friends.

As for CC I think they should ideally be moisturised, and like you have said they need suncream and jumpers depending on the weather. But they still like to be stroked... :-D that made me smile
  4. Tammy1976

Tammy1976 New Member

Name:
    Tammy
    I hadn't really thought about it that way Sarahjade :( I was hoping getting her a companion to actually grow up with would be a good idea as they would be like siblings.

Oh well thanks for giving me some food for thought even if its not exactly what I wanted to hear lol

However if I DO decide to buy her then at least I know I can stroke her :blush: (can't believe I asked that!:blush:) hehe
  5. labradork

labradork New Member

Name:
    labradork
    How old is your pup?

I personally wouldn't introduce another dog until the older one is fully mature. A larger age gap usually works far better for all concerned.

Clo on the forum is experienced with Chinese Cresteds so hopefully she will be along to give you some advice about the breed.
  6. Tammy1976

Tammy1976 New Member

Name:
    Tammy
    My pup is 14 weeks old and the new puppy will be 9 weeks.

I have spent the last few hours googling like crazy and its 50/50. Many people say its a big mistake and others say it is wonderful to have 2 to grow up together and have a companion and playmate. Im so confused :(

I haven't ruled it out yet though and some CC advice would still be appreciated :)
  7. EmmiS

EmmiS New Member

Name:
    Emma Louise
    Agree with this
  8. SarahJade

SarahJade New Member

Name:
    SJ
    I'm going to sort of hijack this thread but it is still based on CC...
    What are powder puffs? I quite like the temperament and size of CC, although haven't met many, but I'm not really into the hairless look. I was looking on google for pics and saw some that were powder puffs. Are these true CC or are they a random mutation or crossed with something else, they all seem to have a similar look and soooo cute!
    Any info would be great
  9. SarahJade

SarahJade New Member

Name:
    SJ
    Sorry, just been searching and think I've answered my own question...
    Is it true thought that two hairless genes are fatal? Does that mean the pup isn't born or that is dies after??? Or is that wrong?
  10. Tammy1976

Tammy1976 New Member

Name:
    Tammy
    I think when it says that the 2 hairless genes are fatal it means that the puppy is never actually born, it just dissolves back into the Mother during pregnancy (I'm not 100% on that but Im sure I read that somewhere)
  11. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe
    Hi :grin:

I have two Chinese cresteds, 1 hairless and 1 powderpuff.
    Chinese cresteds are great little dogs, I love them :007: They're just so full of character. They are intelligent dogs that like do be doing things, but they also are happy to sit and cuddle and laze about with you.

Yes you can stroke a hairless dog :lol: they like it just as much as a dog with fur :lol:

Protection wise, suncream when the sun is out so they don't burn, and moisturise them as and when they need it so they don't get dry skin. In winter they can get cold so jumper and coats are good. Asbo has 2 shirts, 2 hoody type jumper and his waterproof coat. They can be inclined to get injured they just don't have the padding :lol: but saying that asbo is very good, he gets the odd scratch or scrape, but then he has a habit of charging through brambles an things :roll:

On average my dogs get an hour exercise a day, mainly off lead, but they would go for a lot longer. Asbo would go all day if you let him. He's such high energy I have to do a lot with him, he goes swimming, we do gundog retrieval work, tracking and I'm hoping to start agility with him too.

The difference between the powderpuff and hairless isnt just the hair and no hair. Temperament wise the hairless can be a bit more nervy, where as powderpuffs are a bit more outgoing. Hairless can have teeth trouble where as powderpuffs don't tend to. I have one of each and they're characters are completely different, but then I suppose so is every dog.

If you breed a hairless to powderpuff you get both puppies, but powderpuff to powderpuff you obt get powderpuff pups. It really is luck of the draw. When I bred I ended up with 4 powderpuff boys. If a puppy has a double hairless gene it gets reabsorbed and isnt born. Thats why when getting them scanned in whelp, most breeders expect less than what they get told is in the womb. It's just something that happens.

I hope I've answered a few of your questions. I will post pictures when I'm not on my phone.

Personally I would wait until your other dog is much older before you get a Chinese crested puppy, any puppy is hard work, chineses cresteds are hard puppies, daphni wasn't but asbo ran rings around me and was a right nightmare. If I was you I would enjoy the puppy you have first then consider a CC later on.