Coat types and litters Discussions

Discussion in 'German Shepherd Dog' started by smokeybear, Dec 1, 2010.

1. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear

Coat types and litters

Just a note, longhaired GSD can pop up in short coats as can several other things........... it may not be that the breeder was deliberately breeding longcoats.

In any case are not the WUSV accepting longcoats now or in the very near future?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. JoedeeUK

JoedeeUK Member

Name:
    Deejay
    There is a "Langer-Stock Haar"register within the SV(not the WUSV as that is the World Union & not solely" the German SV)

The coats will not be long as we have them here in the UK but slightly longer & they must conform to the breed standard & full health(Including DNA testing)& proven working ability. They are not the fluffy coated UK version

4. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    I am familiar with the SV rules re the Korung etc as I have a GSD that has the AD SchH3 etc ;) and the rules at the moment bar long coated dogs but I am sure they are considering changing this according to the breed notes and BAGSD, GSDL communications recently?

What the SV are concerned with is the presence or absence of an undercoat as obviously a single coat is not sufficiently protective for working purposes eg HGH
  5. JoedeeUK

JoedeeUK Member

Name:
    Deejay
    Has your dog passed it's Korung in Germany then ?

The undercoat is needed not just for stock working dogs, but also service dogs & any dog that goes outdoors when it is cold or wet-one reason that smooth & medium coated BCs are so popular with farmers & shepherds
  6. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    I could have taken my dog to the Korung held recently in Leicestershire, no need to go to Germany however in order to be eligible for this the hips have to be scored under the SV system, they will not accept the KC/BVA plates.

Thus I have not entered my dog into the Korung as a) I am not going to waste more money and b) I do not wish him to under go GA or be sedated unecessarily.

He has however got a Grade 1 Breed Survey in the UK, won at Crufts as well as having qualified for "ticket" in Working Trials as well as being graded at the British Sieger.

So I am not particularly bothered about the Korung as I got him to work, not to show. :mrgreen:
  7. JoedeeUK

JoedeeUK Member

Name:
    Deejay
    The Korung is about really breeding not showing in conformation. Dogs have to pass the Korung before they can be bred from-but then you will be aware of that.

My next GSD will be from a friend who is a VPG Trainer, Handler & Judge. All her dogs have their VPGIII etc before they are bred from & they all have to be assessed for the Korung yearly until they are passed for life
  8. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    Yes they need the Leibenzeit (sp) which many dogs do not have.
  9. JoedeeUK

JoedeeUK Member

Name:
    Deejay
    All the dogs that I know in Germany have had the lifetime Korung & none of the owners would breed from them without it
  10. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    Quite, but this is not the case of many dogs imported from there to the UK.............. and of course there are no restrictions on what can be bred from here so the onus is on individuals rather than the KC to self police according to their individual point of view unlike the SV system.

To be fair, we have some very good animals in this country whose owners, for whatever reason do not care to put their dogs through the continental route, or cannot afford the travelling/training/vet expenses. Does not make their dogs inferior and of course there are just as many corrupt judges over there as there are here and just as many dogs which have "bought" qualifications............... as opposed to earning them! ;)