Collar leaving marks on neck. Questions

Discussion in 'Golden Retriever' started by pam2, Aug 12, 2007.

1. pam2

pam2 New Member

Name:
    Pam

Collar leaving marks on neck.

After a visit to the park I had to bath Charlie,he loves puddles :grin: .
    I noticed his adult coat has been coming in for a couple of weeks (he's 14wks) but it was really noticeable after his wash, he's going to be a lovely sandy colour I think.
    I also noticed when I took off his collar that it had left a mark around his neck, he usually wears a flat nylon colllar, and just wondered if I should maybe change to a rolled collar?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. random

random New Member

Name:
    Kel
    You may find when he is shedding, as the collar rubs his fur he will loose the loose hairs around his neck faster than the rest of his body and it may look a different colour if that is what you mean? When Maddy is casting she looks terrible, dark and light patches all over. Collars can affect the coat though so you need to be careful if you are showing him, but if not it doesn't really matter.
  4. nero

nero New Member

Name:
    denis
    Do you leave the collar on all the time, even at home ?

I remove all their collars when they're at home. ;-)
  5. pam2

pam2 New Member

Name:
    Pam
    Nero, I think you may be right, I was wondering this myself and I don't take his collar off much.
    Usually I keep it on during the day for his walks and to grab him when he tries to play with the cat, run away with the laundry or his personal favourtie-steal out the bin :mrgreen:
    I'm not going to show him so it's not a problem, just didn't want his adult coat to come in with a kink in it :grin:
  6. morganstar

morganstar New Member

Name:
    Jacquie
    I take mine off in the house and to be honest I just use a gundog slip if im not letting them off lead as its easier
  7. pam2

pam2 New Member

Name:
    Pam
    Hi Morganstar, Is a gundog slip any different to a normal slip lead?
    I usually have him on an ordinary flat nylon collar and lead, and take a flexi lead to the park as he is still learning his recall :mrgreen:
  8. morganstar

morganstar New Member

Name:
    Jacquie
    no probably not I use a lead with a slip at one end and a washer to keep it in place picies to follow
  9. Helen

Helen

Name:
    Helen
    My lot very rarely wear collars as they are exercised on private land and when we are away from here, they are more than likely working. However, I do have a couple kicking around and one I have found really useful. It's a nylon slip type collar. Think of a slip lead but just a collar. It's round so doesn't damage the coat.

Helen
  10. JoedeeUK

JoedeeUK Member

Name:
    Deejay
    Don't forget your dogs have by law to wear a collar & tag when in a public place(which includes the car BTW)

The only exceptions are working dogs but only whilst they are actually working, so using only a slip lead doesn't comply with the law

My dogs wear collars 24/7 but they do have breakaway collars
  11. metz

metz New Member

Name:
    ashlee
    i have a cocker spaniel and i found flat collars do split the hairs, i changed to a leather rolled collar and i dont have that problem anymore :grin:
  12. CockerMum

CockerMum New Member

Name:
    kitty (aka Paige)
    snap!!
    i still use flat canvas collars but take them off as soon as we get home.