Collie's tail leaking a watery fluid. Health

Discussion in 'Collie (Rough)' started by Inlovewithnight, Jan 24, 2017.

1. Inlovewithnight

Inlovewithnight New Member

Name:
    Lorraine

Collie's tail leaking a watery fluid.

Hi, I am new here. I have a nine year old rough coat Collie. He has had many health issues since a puppy starting with constant skin infections. The latest problem is that his tail is leaking fluid. This leaking is under his tail near the base of his body. Seems I have stumped my Vet. He has tried three different antibiotics, all of which did not work. He has presently prescribed a fourth one. I have had three Vets examine my Collie. Also had his anal glands checked and they are fine. Has anyone ever heard of this condition? I have to wash that area every day because it becomes constantly wet and smells. I have put tissue or paper towels under his tail to try to keep it dry but they must be changed frequently during the day because they become soaked. If anyone has any info on this, please let me know. Thank you.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Boerboel

Boerboel New Member

Name:
    Misty
    Hello. I absolutely adore Rough Collies! To prevent help skin infections, give the dog a teaspoon of honey with each meal. What you are describing sounds like an anal sac disorder. Is he scooting? I would try to stay away from antibiotics. I will not use them or give them to my dogs because they absolutely destroy the body. I don't think three vets could miss an anal sac problem. Is it possible your dog is wetting himself? Lymphorrhea is the only other possible explanation I can think of. Lymphorrhea is the leakage, or weeping, of lymph fluid through the skin surface. Large beads of fluid appear on the skin and trickle from the affected areas. While I have never heard of this in a dog, it is certainly possible.

http://www.lymphedemapeople.com/thesite/lymphedema_lymphorrhea.htm
  4. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    I'd not heard of lymphedema so looked on google

https://www.vetinfo.com/lymphedema-in-dogs.html

I suppose it's possible especially if you have noticed any swelling as well as the wetness? Certainly one to mention to your vet for his/her opinion
  5. Boerboel

Boerboel New Member

Name:
    Misty
    Apparently dogs can have it! I would definitely mention this to your veterinarian and see what can be done.
  6. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    I am not claiming any expertise beyond the fact that I have lived with lymphoedema, (sp. UK), for the last five years, subsequent to breast surgery. To the best of my knowledge, the area would have to be markedly swollen and congested, before infection, injury, or sheer pressure could cause the leakage of lymphatic fluid.

I have had a veteran lurcher which needed a tail amputation due to a crop of very irritating dermoid cysts, and a obedience classmate had to have the tail of her veteran Beardie amputated just two weeks ago. Her vet had suspected a malignancy, but happily it has tested as benign. Is there a possibility that it could be wet because he has been chewing at it?
  7. Inlovewithnight

Inlovewithnight New Member

Name:
    Lorraine
    Thank you all for responding. I am taking my Collie, Jake to the Vet tomorrow. I will mention the lymphoedema to him and see what he says. Wow, that sure sounds like what Jake has. At the moment, the new antibiotic is called Primor. Jake has been on Cephalexin, Ciprofloxacin, and Amoxicillian, and Prednisone since May, 2016. Jake has not chewed that area. Anal sacs were checked. Also, I think his tail looks swollen in that area.
    As for his skin infections, my Vet recommended Apoquel. It did stop almost all these infections. Every once in a while he will get a flair up. Tomorrow the Vet wants to try a shot instead of giving these pills daily. Jake must be on Apoquel for the rest of his life. Right now it costs me $104 per month. He really hasn't been a healthy dog since day one. He is also on thyroid medication and rimadyl. I swear I'm at the Vet every single month.
  8. Boerboel

Boerboel New Member

Name:
    Misty
    I've done some more research on the subject. Lymphedema is a medical in which localized fluid retention and tissue swelling are caused by a compromised lymphatic system. Congenital forms of the disease has been reported in bulldogs and poodles, as well as Labrador retrievers and Old English sheepdogs. The fluid accumulation (edema) is usually not painful and pits; that is, a depression develops if the skin is pushed with a finger (which eventually disappears if fibrosis occurs). Hereditary and congenital (present at birth) forms of lymphedema are caused by malformations of the lymphatic system, such as aplasia, valvular incompetence, and lymph node fibrosis. You will need to give a thorough history of your dog’s health, including the onset and nature of the symptoms, to your veterinarian.