Dalmatian - Some questions on breeding Health

Discussion in 'Dalmatian' started by janine87, Feb 1, 2007.

1. janine87

janine87 New Member

Name:
    Janine
    Do you know how deaf dals started happening? Was it something thats happened in the later years of breeding them or have their been 100's of deaf pups thoughout the years and we just didnt have technology to run the tests?
    thanks
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Deccy

Deccy New Member

Name:
    n/a
    It's caused by the gene that gives the white coat, and affects at least 42 breeds of dogs and many cats, rabbits according to the Animal Health Trust (check out their website - it's packed with info) so it's been a feature for ever, really. It is more common, but not exclusive, for dogs with less pigmentation - sparsely spotted - to be more likely deaf. It can affect one or both ears and basically part of the inner ear stops developing before birth and never forms properly.
    Years of data gathering and study has indicated that breeding normal to normal reduces the chance of deafness, conversely mating a deaf or partly deaf dog can increase the incidence.
    My matings have been between multi generation hearing tested normal, but I only had one litter out of five completely normal, three litters had a couple deaf in one ear, one litter had one totally deaf. The Animal Health Trust has stats on it and mine were well above average for normal hearing so we still have a long way to go. In Ireland, there are no testing facilities......
  4. Lottie

Lottie New Member

Name:
    Lottie
    Sorry Janine! I knew you'd rehomed her but couldn't remember if she was a rescue or rehomed from a breeder.

I think there are more than 2 different types although I agree there are some stockier types which I think are closer to the 'working type' but in reality all dals are still working dogs - hence their temperament and energy!

Showing is about judging how well a dog would be able to complete it's task (how it's built for it), if it's got a healthy build, lives upto breed standard (which, in the dalmatian's case at least, promotes health) so breeding for show dogs shouldn't cause them to be any less healthy.

Deccy will have given you all the advice I could have (though I haven't read through as I'm going to bed!) but well done for coming and asking!

I got my second dal from dalmatian welfare via the BDC website.
  5. janine87

janine87 New Member

Name:
    Janine
    Hi,
    Ok thanks for information! lottie no worries :) x
  6. hameldal

hameldal New Member

Name:
    Jules
    For very very basics when considering breeding a dog did you not contemplate asking her breeders advice first and formost ?
    Above and before anything else they will know her pedigree if she is good enough, inherited diseases etc etc etc !!!!
    JUles xxx