Death after teeth cleaning/extraction Rainbow Bridge

Discussion in 'Pomeranian' started by minkpom, Aug 30, 2023.

1. minkpom

minkpom New Member

Name:
    jon p

Death after teeth cleaning/extraction

Has anyone's pom passed away after going in for teeth cleaning/extraction? She was only 7 and otherwise healthy. The vet is a reputable surgeon where she got her acl surgery done only a year before. Vet states that the procedure was successful and my pom was released to me after she woke up from the anesthesia. But on the car ride home I had to make a U-turns and go back to the vet twice as she was having trouble breathing and she would start crying/wailing every 5 minutes or so... long story short I had to leave her in the hospital for the next 2 days and she had to be force fed and eventually her heart stopped on the second morning. I have heard in the past that small dogs don't do well with anesthesia? but I never thought she would die from her first teeth cleaning?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Toedtoes likes this.
    What a dreadful shock for you. I am so sorry for your loss.
  4. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    Toedtoes likes this.
    Goodness, how devastating. RIP little one
  5. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    CaroleC likes this.
    I'm so very sorry for your loss.

I had a shepherd who went under anesthesia to remove a lump. I brought her home that afternoon and around 3 am I woke to her in shock. She passed before I would get her to the emergency vet. She was only about 4 years old.

Unfortunately, on rare occasions an animal will have a bad reaction to anesthesia, or they get very stressed and go into shock (like my dog), etc. It's horrid and nothing makes it OK - but I know that my vet felt as terrible at losing my dog as I did, if not worse.
  6. Lifew/dogs

Lifew/dogs New Member

Name:
    lonnie
    yeah and from the amount and differences between. It takes me 6mos to a year to find a vet I will return to. One example is we found a young stray lab she was already to be placed in a new home from the shelter when they found a porcupine quill in her muzzle and she died on the vet table. He is a reputable vet. There are breeds prone to allergic reactions to anesthesia like Goldens, there are vets who are negligent such as the one killed the shelter dog he didn't use an anesthetist because of her status (shelter dog) and that's why she died. He did it himself while working alone.
    I have seen the most terrible things vets do and it may be that too much anesthesia or too little was used, a tube may have gone thru her trachia. There is a new kind of anesthesia that dogs wake up from ASAP and there aren't many deaths. I would be certain to ask for that before surgery of any kind. Also dogs can be tested for allergies to the drugs used before surgery. Most GOOD vets do that for dogs over 7 yrs old. You can ask for that at any age of the dog.
    I would NEVER return to a vet who killed my dog. What was the reason given? No answer from them on that I'm betting.
    https://www.aaha.org/globalassets/0...nesthesia_and_monitoring_guidelines_final.pdf
  7. Lifew/dogs

Lifew/dogs New Member

Name:
    lonnie
    https://www.akc.org/expert-advice/health/what-to-know-about-anesthesia/
  8. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    As this post is over 6 months old and the OP hasn't been seen since, it is unlikely you will get any response.