Difference between Corgis? Questions

Discussion in 'Welsh Corgi (Cardigan)' started by Collie Convert, Apr 1, 2009.

1. Collie Convert

Collie Convert

Name:
    layla

Difference between Corgis?

Just wondering what are the general differences between the two types?(apart from the tail!)
    And what are they like generally as pets.

The reason I ask is that I had a cute merle puppy(pembroke) to cuddle at training a few days ago and he was just to die for

thanks
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. basi

basi New Member

Name:
    jenny
    Ooh never seen a merle pembroke only seen that in the Cardigans. My mum use to have them years ago and was quite successful in obedience with them. All the corgis I have met have all been lovely and very outgoing, can't say what they are like to live with as it was before I was born.
  4. Collie Convert

Collie Convert

Name:
    layla
    ok...maybe it was a cardigan then lol!
  5. basi

basi New Member

Name:
    jenny
    Maybe they ahve started a new colour:lol:
  6. Ramble

Ramble Member

Name:
    Ramble
    We meet a couple out and about a lot and a neighbour has one. Lovely dogs..totally got a mind of their own!!!Are quite determined and a bit stubborn but just fantastic, really lovely.
  7. JoedeeUK

JoedeeUK Member

Name:
    Deejay
    Originally the Pembrokeshire were all bobtailed, however Cardiganshire studs were used after the war to enlarge the gene pool & the tails after this came in either natural bob or docked.

The Cardiganshire are a bigger dog altogether, come in a variety of colours from red to blue merle & just about everything inbetween

The Cardiganshire should have slightly curved front legs to fit closely around the chest, the Pembrokeshire should have straight front legs & have a more "Foxy"head. The Cardiganshire are IMHE much less "sharp"than the Pembroke(they did have a problem with being shy at one time, but good breeders bred to good temperamented dogs & the problem has been resolved)& I much prefer the Cardiganshire.