Discussion split from NI and Utonagan owners thread Discussions

Discussion in 'Utonagan' started by janie, Dec 3, 2010.

1. Gnasher

Gnasher

Name:
    Nikki
    I'm just hoping that my trust won't be misplaced. Seemingly not, so thank you for that.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Gnasher

Gnasher

Name:
    Nikki
    If you are referring to Eddy Harrison, the breeder, you have to remember that she trusted very, very few people after what JK did. It took us several years to get Hal's "true" pedigree out of her and written down correctly.
  4. Tassle

Tassle New Member

Name:
    H
    Yes.....quite possibly.....and I ask again - after so many lies (over several years) how do you finally know that the last one (which obviously told you what you wanted) was the 'true' one?
  5. Tupacs2legs

Tupacs2legs New Member

Name:
    layla
    ... so where are these 'northern breeds' you have owned in that lot?
  6. Gnasher

Gnasher

Name:
    Nikki
    No no, you got it right first time! Ben is son of Hal from the second litter he had - out of Skye, a registered Utonagan from the Blustag lines.
  7. Gnasher

Gnasher

Name:
    Nikki
    As you very well know from previous discussions, I always refer to mals, huskies, mixes of those, as northern breeds. Perhaps "breed" is the wrong word, seeing as my chosen "breeds" are types, not registered breeds!
  8. Tupacs2legs

Tupacs2legs New Member

Name:
    layla
    ahh,so you can conveniently forget about the gsd collie and whatever else was thrown in...got you :)
  9. tazer

tazer

Name:
    Tazer/Taz
    The difference between wolf lookalikes and other breed/types is...the same things that seperate all other breeds from each other.

Differences in how genes are expressed.

Perhaps ni etc should be reclassified as their own subspecies, in recognition of their evolution beyond that of simple domestic dogs...in the eyes of some it would seem.

Kingdom: Animalia
    Phylum: Chordata
    Class: Mammalia
    Order: Carnivora
    Family: Canidae
    Genus: Canis
    Species: Canis Lupus Lookaliki

Any other suggestions.
  10. Lucky Star

Lucky Star Member

:lol:Sorry Gnasher, ignore me, I have no idea what planet I'm on today, too little sleep.
  11. Tupacs2legs

Tupacs2legs New Member

Name:
    layla
    lmao!!! do not tease ;-)
  12. Gnasher

Gnasher

Name:
    Nikki
    No, not at all. I started to keep a record of every conversation, of which there were plenty, with her over the years. I do shorthand, so it made it easier to keep detailed notes. To start with, once we had purchased Hal, she would come out with different stories each time, but gradually as she obviously learned to trust us and knew that we were keeping our mouths shut not just about Hal's origins, but were respecting her privacy, certain names were repeated. To my great sadness she died unexpectedly a few weeks before she was due to come and stay with us. I used to typeset books for a living back then, and she and I were going to get everything down into the computer - she had an amazing memory for all her dogs' lines, and who did what with whom etc. etc. - and we were going to produce a "stud book" type document. I know who Hal's parents were, although sadly i cannot make out from my notes whether his dam was Saska or Sasha - I write my sk's and my sh's in exactly the same way, and it could have been either. His father was Natuk, and I have got further generations going back. This information has been confirmed to me by a 3rd party who knew Eddy well, and I believe her grandson has a lot of her records, so if I really wanted to, I could work out his pedigree going right back.
  13. Tassle

Tassle New Member

Name:
    H
    Again - after so many lies...I'm sorry - does not ring true.

I am glad you believe you know - but it would not be enough for me after someone had told me that many porkies.
  14. tazer

tazer

Name:
    Tazer/Taz
    I know I shouldn't, but its fun.

Ditto.
  15. Gnasher

Gnasher

Name:
    Nikki

absolutely not. Again, as you very well know, I have frequently relayed the history as I knew it of the NI. When JK fell out with Eddy, and was therefore no longer being supplied with wolf x's, Eddy told me that JK carried on using collies in an attempt to try to continue the wolfy look. This was before JK had coined the phrase "NI" - she started using that when there was all the hoo haa over wolf crosses etc. etc. IMO, I choose to believe this because NI's now have a much more "NI" look if you know what I mean, they have a far more defined look than the utonagans. To me, they look like gsd/collie x's now. As you also know, Eddy used her husband old sheepdog, Cap, in 1 or 2 matings, IMO not a good idea, but she told me this and I believe her.
  16. Gnasher

Gnasher

Name:
    Nikki
    Boss back - gotta go!
  17. Tupacs2legs

Tupacs2legs New Member

Name:
    layla
    well to be fair imo i see no collie in n.i's compared to utes ...they look like collie cross gsd's to me
  18. tazer

tazer

Name:
    Tazer/Taz
    Imo, ni's just look like sib x gsds to me, very few actually have anything wolfie about them, and even less collie.
  19. Tupacs2legs

Tupacs2legs New Member

Name:
    layla
    yip ... or just badly bred sibes :-(
  20. murph

murph New Member

Name:
    James
    Wolf cross?! F3,4 or what?
    sa?
    Also back to my original question... What, in your opinion make these dogs different?
  21. murph

murph New Member

Name:
    James
    NI- gsd/mal/sibe
    Utes- NI with some collie.
    IMO of course!