Do Shih Tzus play fetch? Discussions

Discussion in 'Shih Tzu' started by ChokDee, Aug 18, 2019.

1. ChokDee

ChokDee New Member

Name:
    ChokDee

Do Shih Tzus play fetch?

I read on a general information page that Shih Tzu dogs famously won't play fetch.

But, ChokDee loves playing fetch... He wakes me up by putting his favourite ball in my hand and won't leave me alone until I've done half a dozen throws for him to retrieve. The same in the evening, he brings one of his favourite toys (the tiger or the duck) and places it at my feet demanding 20 minutes of fetch. Generally, he has been very easy to train and does all doggie type actions as well as the Jack Russells my parents owned when I was a kid.

Does your Shih Tzu play fetch?

Are Shih Tzu dogs considered very smart, averagely smart or on the dim side? Can we even generalise these ideas to a breed?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Cate

Cate New Member

Name:
    Cate
    Mine does... I just joined the forum. Her name is IZZY and she loved playing fetch from the time she could run around the house or yard!
  4. pjcag

pjcag New Member

Name:
    PAULA
  5. pjcag

pjcag New Member

Name:
    PAULA
    I have one that does and one that doesn't.
  6. Susan Jones

Susan Jones New Member

Name:
    Midges Mum
    CaroleC likes this.
    hi, my Midge has always played fetch! I didn’t teach him he just brought his toy and dropped it for me to throw, it didn’t take me long to get him to sit and put it in my hand. He’s nearly 12 now but still likes to play fetch, not so much of course, I think they are trainable, not food orientated, but for the joy of playing. He can be very stubborn though if he doesn’t want to do something. You just have to find out what motivates them.
    I too have read they are difficult to house train, again I didn’t find that, he took around four weeks. So I don’t think it’s a fair comment, whoever wrote it probably never owned a shitzu, they may be small but they’r definitely not stupid! Yours sounds delightful by the way.
    lol the best Sue