Do Whippets need a coat? Health

Discussion in 'Whippet' started by kobebear, Apr 29, 2009.

1. kobebear

kobebear New Member

Name:
    Samantha

Do Whippets need a coat?

Advice Please, does my 8 month whippett cross need a coat for when its cold and when its raining, i read on the internet that these breeds feel the cold but also think dogs can look stupid with coats on.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. monkeydonkey

monkeydonkey New Member

Name:
    Lucy
    Yes in my opinion your whippet cross definately needs a coat for bad weather. The coat in this case would be for the welfare of the dog to protect it from the elements and you can buy some very under-stated coats that do the job and don't look silly. Also to be aware that the sun can also be dangerous for this type of dog. All mine have coats and love wearing them when they need to.
  4. kobebear

kobebear New Member

Name:
    Samantha
    She loves to sunbath, last week when it was warm she was streched out on the patio and didnt want to move. Should i in future encourage her to lie in the shade?
  5. whistlecraftgsp

whistlecraftgsp New Member

Name:
    Nicky
    I have 7 German Shorthaired Pointers who, as the name suggests, have very short coats although generally thicker than a wippets. They all have coats for the winter and we can often be seen walking all 7 of them wearing their coats. They are all plain coats and they don't look silly at all. Their welfare is more important than how they look.
  6. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    http://www.equafleece.co.uk/store/index.html

i use these, they are fab, water resistant, and dont move around
  7. monkeydonkey

monkeydonkey New Member

Name:
    Lucy
    Mine usually have a good sunbathe and then look for shade when they have had enough sun or just slope off inside! You just need to be careful not to walk her if it's really hot, you can also buy white suncoats.

We got one for Indi when she did a sponsored walk so that she didn't over-heat and it kept her well protected and happy.
  8. basi

basi New Member

Name:
    jenny
    I also buy from this company and have to say they are great coats as I also have a breed that feels the cold.
    Mine will all lie out in the sun but will eventualy move in to the shade once they have had enough.
  9. Greyhawk

Greyhawk New Member

There is a whippet in our agility class and she wears a coat during the winter.
  10. Nippy

Nippy New Member

Name:
    Jenny
    As Monkeydonkey says she will probably look for shade when she is ready.

There is nothing Mo likes more than to sunbathe so I apply sunscreen to the inside of her ears and her tummy before she goes out in the sun.
  11. Freyja

Freyja New Member

Name:
    Helen
    I have 10 whippets and to be honest they only wear their coats if the weather is really bad . Very cold snowing or raining badly. They never wear them if they are off lead. They do all have coats and they do wera them if we are going to a show and have had a bath but I don't say oh it's october they need to have their coats on. Mine are happy to get wet and dirty.
  12. greyhoundk

greyhoundk New Member

Name:
    Eleanor
    Hi try Ebay for coats, or Jans Greyhound/Whippet Gifts or Northolm Supplies which are really reasonable and good quality.
  13. mse2ponder

mse2ponder New Member

Name:
    Charlotte
    As Whistlecraft has said, GSPs have thicker coats, but I still use coats for them. They're fine working 'coatless' in winter but I coat them up if they're going for a steady lead walk in the cold/rain/both. Also, the oldies have loved their coats!

I have a bright red one for dark foggy days and a nice checked one. Mine are from TRPD (Pet Craft Project) who make coats, collars and leads etc. to support dog charities. They're fab and make coats specifically for whippets in different sizes, colours and types of coat. They also make lightweight underbelly type things to protect them from the sun, as apparently, they can get badly sunburnt, having such fine coats? You can get nice, sensible, gundoggy type coats from game fairs - olive green and waxy sort of thing. Hope you find something suitable.
  14. Freyja

Freyja New Member

Name:
    Helen