Do you own or know any Standard Poodles? General Chat

Discussion in 'Poodle (Standard)' started by kammi_sparky123, Feb 1, 2012.

1. kammi_sparky123

kammi_sparky123 New Member

Name:

Do you own or know any Standard Poodles?

Who has one? Or know any?

What are their exercise requirements?
    Are they really as smart as they say? :D

What are they like with people and dogs?

Do they bark much?

I only know one who lives in my street but she is about 11 now lol

Plus pics :D
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. moetmum

moetmum New Member

Name:
    Gerry
    I love poodles, I grew up with one. My previous neighbours had a standard poodle, they were useless dog owners and I used to feel sorry for her and take her out for walks. I suspect she ended up in rescue, they didn't ever keep a dog long.

Daisy was smart, lovable with bags of energy and a personality to match, I used to take her out off lead (we live in the middle of nowhere) she was inclined to chase but would come back, poodles are usually good with people and other dogs, she was a chocolate standard BTW.
  4. kammi_sparky123

Name:
    Awww she sounds amazing! I would love a black standard poodle if I got one :D
  5. Kerryowner

Kerryowner

Name:
    Stephanie
    I wanted one but husband had the standard male response of "I'm not walking a Poodle"! :evil:

Apparently they are the 2nd most intelligent breed. I like the black ones too. I don't much like the white ones as you can see their pink skin through the hair. I think you have to bear in mind the high grooming costs that would come with a Standard Poodle as they would need grooming every 6 weeks or so but you could learn to do this yourself.
  6. susie fischer

susie fischer New Member

Name:
    Maggie
    I have had two. A silver dog and a black bitch. They are extremely affectionate, intelligent dogs. Very easy to train and enjoy doing things, Make very good agility dogs. Originally working dogs they are happier with lots of exercise. I used to groom dogs for a living so their coat care did not pose a problem for me. As I didn't show either of them they were kept in a fairly long lamb clip. They are excellent guard dogs without barking excessively and mine were always good with all dogs - big or small - that they met. Lived with cats and although I don't have any children they were okay with visiting ones! Although they are tall they are not heavy and because they don't moult you can have them on (or in) your bed!!
  7. kammi_sparky123

Name:
    Thanks!

At the moment I am torn between the poodle (standard) and the airedale! They both have different qualities I like, one of the poodle's main ones being it's brain!

Need to do more research into both breeds :D

ETA: I am actually finding it quite tricky to find much information on either breed!
  8. Wild Rose

Wild Rose New Member

Name:
    Maura
    We had one. He was wonderful. Great with the children, very patient. Easy to train, they want to please. Also, a very good watch dog. They need the amount of exercise you would expect for a dog of their size (quite a variety of sizes), but not excessive. If you can give the dog a walk every day with a run thrown in, this will do. I'm sure it also depends on how much indoor activity the dog would get. There were 8 kids in the house, so even inside our standard poodle was always moving.
  9. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    I am sure the poodle club and the airedale club can provide you with plenty of information on the dogs in question. ;)
  10. Velvetboxers

Velvetboxers New Member

Name:
    Helen
    Years ago we used to meet a chap with a Lab & black std poodle in the Country Park near my parents. When the dog was in full flight it was one of the most beautiful. & impressive things i have ever seen
  11. Sara

Sara New Member

Name:
    Sara
    Standard Poodles are my 2'd fav. breed (next to the Irish Terrier)

I raised a St. Poodle, and helped with her one litter of pups. And I have a friend with one. They're awesome dogs, though can be a touch high strung. They need to be kept busy, and need alot of exercise, in my experience... but wonderful family dogs, with a sweet nature.

Calley with her litter of 6 (2 black, 2 silver, 2 white)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And some of just the pups.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Calley with Patches (my first dog)
    [​IMG]

Missy, one of Calleys pups all grown up!
    [​IMG]

Kaden, another of Calley's pups
    [​IMG]

Reese, a friend's dog
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  12. Kerryowner

Kerryowner

Name:
    Stephanie
    Calley is beautiful!:049:
  13. Kazz

Kazz New Member

Name:
    Karen
    Beautiful dogs I have not met a lot but those I have I have fallen more in love with the breed. I like minatures and std's and prefer black.
  14. kammi_sparky123

Name:
    Beautiful pictures! :D
  15. boujis

boujis New Member

Name:
    Jac
    I was lucky enough to get my own dog aged 11,and she was a silver standard poodle.She was a wonderful dog,protective,fun,very loyal,good barker when needed,brilliant with other dogs,great with our cats,hamsters etc, and the best friend any young girl could have. She was my pillow and slept in my room every night. I still have some of her wool in an envelope after 31 years. I had rescue dogs after her until at 40 i decided i would have another standard poodle.Took me a couple of years to save up, then i found a silver standard poodle puppy and have had lots of fun,love and laughter with her for the last 8 years. Standard poodles are wonderful family dogs and as long as you enjoy grooming and playing ball they will make you very happy.:grin:
  16. Shrap

Shrap New Member

Name:
    Rachel
    I thought you wanted a GSD? :?
  17. Chunky

Chunky New Member

Name:
    lesley
    If you decide on a poodle please remember that it needs regular grooming (so that needs to be factored in). My std poodles in a basic clip are £45 and they are in every 4 weeks. If the client wants them longer then they need to come in more often and the price is higher. Either that, or learn how to do it yourself. Oh and the ears should be plucked weekly (so it is best to learn how to do that yourself).
    For an Airedale, again the ears need regular plucking and you would need to decide if you are going to strip or clip. I only clip, (and so do the vast majority of groomers). My Dales are in every 8 weeks and again it is £45 I am more than willing to show an owner how to hand strip themselves, but for me it is not cost effective as the job takes too long and I would have to charge too much, for a breed of this size. But they do look far far better stripped.
    You've probably already thought of this, (and I appologise for bringing it up). But groomers see plenty of customers who have bought a dog and just didn't realise how much grooming they needed, or they come in at 9 months (the usual age) coat is totally out of control, ear hair is stuffed to the rafters, owners have been bathing the dog, but not brushing correctly, and they they wonder why A) The groomer needs to clip the dog off short. B) The dog is terrified (why wouldn't it be, it has had absolutely no introduction to the groomers full stop). The second can take a loooooooong time to put right, but generally the groomer is the one accused of scaring the dog, when actually no it was the owners fault.
    Sorry went off on a tangent. I love both breeds x
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2012