Do you work your working dog? Discussions

Discussion in 'Working Dogs Forum' started by Alphatest, Feb 13, 2011.

1. Luke

Luke New Member

Terrier on vermin dispatch, rats,rabbits, moles (she waits for ages for them to surface), squirrel (though takes a bit of a beating doing so) and so forth. She's not ott drivey, but does the job nicely when I can get her out to do so. No pictures, wouldn't be well received.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    Flynn is a fabulous looking dog!
  4. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe
    i always wanted a collie called pig, so i could say "that'll do pig, that'll do." :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
  5. Wozzy

Wozzy New Member

Name:
    Leanne
    Thank you for the nice comments about Flynn, he is a bit of a handsome Devil but knows it too!
  6. Kerryowner

Kerryowner

Name:
    Stephanie
    Wow! That's really impressive! Your dogs have a lot of letters after their names then.

Parker is self-employed. He thinks his job is neighbourhood watch dog as he likes to bark every time someone or a car comes into our close.
  7. 3dognight

3dognight

Name:
    phil
    yes ..mine work with me at a gold mine....they work the fence...when im there so are they ...they simply adopted the property,so to speek,they are there ,more of a deterant than anything...they are trained in personal protection,as a hobby.
  8. IsoChick

IsoChick New Member

Name:
    Shelley
    I use the Boxers for vermin control (rats, moles etc)...

Whilst they can't fit down the holes like a little terrier could, they do a lovely job of digging the holes out and catching the rats that plague my poultry area....

No pics as we're usually out in the dark doing it!

Technically, the job they were bred to do doesn't exist anymore, but they have a fairly high 'small&furry' prey drive, so it works well!
  9. Dobermonkey

Dobermonkey New Member

Name:
    Claire
    apols for the ignorance but what were boxers bred to do job wise?

My friend has a pure boxer and a cross (aptly named Dizzy!)

The boxer thinks it bred to hunt roast lamb/chicken. The little beggar opens the oven door and steals the roast! :)
  10. Tarimoor

Tarimoor Member

Name:
    Joanne
    No, I've done lots of training, and have had both out on a shoot, where Tau excelled and Indie embaressed :roll: but unless you count fetching firewood home, then no, even though she (Tau) does fetch enough home that I don't have to buy any!!

I'm hoping though, to try and get her out next shooting season, if I've got time, I've got quite a few shooting contacts, so am looking round to try and find somewhere suitable.
  11. IsoChick

IsoChick New Member

Name:
    Shelley
    The predecessors of Boxers were originally bred as a pack hunting dog - but for bigger 'game' such as wild boar/bears etc. They were created from Bulldogs and a mastiff-type dog called a Bullenbeisser. You'd hunt with a pack of them, to bring down whatever you were hunting. The ear and tail cropping was originally for that reason, but obviously evolved into a cosmetic thing.

However, they have also been used for Police and military work in european countries as well
  12. DDoglover

DDoglover New Member

Name:
    DDoglover
    No we do not work our dogs.
    Thanks for all the photos. Some lovely looking dogs.
  13. Tarimoor

Tarimoor Member

Name:
    Joanne
    It's a rubbish photo, but this is the result of one days work by Tau, she loves carrying bits of wood back from our walks, in one day she can carry enough back to last four or five days! And once she's started, she won't leave it unless I put her on lead and walk her away, she's a determined little madam, one reason why I think such a lot of her...

[​IMG]
  14. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    :lol: :lol: :lol: Just a few "twigs" then :lol: Great photo!
  15. Crichton

Crichton New Member

Name:
    June
    Oldest flatcoat wasn't cut out for working:grin:

Spaniel competes in working trials and the youngest flatcoat is being trained for picking up but will probably do working trials too.

No pictures of tracking but here's a picture of Maisie doing the scale
    [​IMG]

And Ghillie in training
    [​IMG]
  16. Dobermann

Dobermann New Member

Name:
    Natalie
    No but it wasnt until I seen the change in him at obedience class when the scent work came in that I kind of wished I had, then when he started on the contraband search - he was so good at it and more than anything I could see how much he loved it. In future my next dobe from a puppy - I will have to consider 'doing more' with.
  17. steveo

steveo New Member

Name:
    steveo
    We work our American Bulldogs in Weight Pulling & have done since 2005 with great results;-) We train other dogs every week in Sheffield (All Breeds Welcome)

My Sons Dog Diddy LB For LB The strongest Weight Puller in Euro....
    [​IMG]

Bred by myself at Brightside American Bulldogs
    Missy
    [​IMG]

My own dog Player
    [​IMG][

Another dog owned by us here at Brightside Kennels

Hooligan

[​IMG]
  18. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe
    dont mean to be ignorant but i dont really understand this sport :blush: an american bulldog wasnt bred to pull, never had an orginal job to pull things, so why is it a popular sport?
  19. steveo

steveo New Member

Name:
    steveo
    Weight Pulling has been around for over 25 years plus in the USA....My dog Player(USA Import) was bred for pulling the breeder of the dog has been doing this sport for 20 years so YES My American Bulldog was bred to pull.
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2011
  20. steveo

steveo New Member

Name:
    steveo
    Weight pulling is a dog sport involving a dog pulling a cart or sled loaded with weight a short distance across dirt/gravel, grass, carpet, or snow. It is a modern adaptation of freighting, in which dogs were used as freight animals to move cargo. Many breeds participate in this sport, with dogs being separated into classes by weight. Sleddog and pit bull breeds excel within their respective weight classes, having been historically bred to pull sleds and plows, respectively.

The dog is hitched to the cart or sled with a specially constructed harness designed to spread the weight and minimize the chance of injury.

Dog weight pulling competitions are sanctioned by various non-profit organizations. In North America the International Sled Dog Racing Association has sanctioned contests in association with their races. The International Weight Pulling Association was organized in 1984 to promote the heritage of the working dog.
  21. scout75

scout75

Name:
    scout