Does anyone have experience of Shetland Sheepdogs Questions

Discussion in 'Shetland Sheepdog' started by Kerriebaby, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Kerriebaby

Kerriebaby

Name:
    Claire or KB

Does anyone have experience of Shetland Sheepdogs

I am currently researching our next family dog, which will happen 2012 or 13 (depending on family circs and our current gang)

A breed that I had never thought of, but one that I feel may tick the boxes that we like in a dog. Good looking, fun/out going, usually good with kids (this is a must) relatively healthy, and above all intelligent.

Does anyone here own one, or have any experience with the breed?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. TabithaJ

TabithaJ New Member

Name:
    ownedbyayellowlab
    I have a soft spot for Shelties as I grew up with one. My aunt had a gorgeous one, Sheppie.

Back then, Shelties really tended to be miniature Rough Collies. I gather that now, though, they are a bit smaller and their faces often a bit more 'pointed'.

They can certainly make fabulous additions to a family. However, they can be a bit highly strung and there are also some health issues so as with all dogs, if you're going via a breeder, look into the relevant health checks :)

If you do get a Sheltie, I would love to see some pics!
  4. Kerriebaby

Kerriebaby

Name:
    Claire or KB
    well, as you know I have a Rough Collie, I have never really thought of a Sheltie, but been doing some readin (meant to be job hunting :blush: ) but they may well fit the bill, being a nice compact size, but with the character that we like...will need to upgrade to a V70 with 4 dogs tho LOL

I think the highly strung ones, are the poorly bred ones, and of course if going down breeder route then they will be grilled...tho I think I may go for another rescue (youngster tho) but that may cause another issue (I have a young child and I will be working part time!)
  5. Maisiesmum

Maisiesmum New Member

Name:
    Maisie
    We had a beautiful black and white sheltie when I was a child.

He was a fab dog - will never forget him.:)