Does anyone on here own a smooth collie? General Chat

Discussion in 'Collie (Smooth)' started by Kazz, Mar 11, 2011.

1. Kazz

Kazz New Member

Name:
    Karen

Does anyone on here own a smooth collie?

Does anyone on here own a smooth collie?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. youngstevie

youngstevie

Which type of Collie Kazz
    Do you mean a smooth rough Collie
    Or a smooth Border.....we have a smooth/shorthaired BC
  4. madmare

madmare New Member

Name:
    Bev
    When my husband was alive we used to show them and rough collies
  5. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    I walked two beautiful Roughs when I was a child, and dreamed of owning my own one day :) but have never met a Smooth in real life. I think they are quite uncommon.
  6. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    Not Kazz, but am assuming Kazz means a Smooth Collie (as in the breed) and not a bareskinned Border Collie ??
  7. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    Is there a marked difference in the temperament of the two types, or are they really the same breed but with differing coat lengths (as I am led to believe)?
  8. madmare

madmare New Member

Name:
    Bev
    There is no difference at all except the coat type. They are truly lovely dogs without all the grooming.
  9. Kazz

Kazz New Member

Name:
    Karen
    Sorry to all Collie people. Smooth Collies as I understood it are "cousins" so to speak of the rough. Roughs were bred to work in the harsh conditions of Scotland etc whereas smooth were bred to work down south. Same dog to start with adapted to weather conditions - thats my understanding not from any "indepth enquiry"
    I did not know there were smooth BC's, sorry for the confusion.

I saw two smooth collies at Crufts today and have to say seriously seriously considering one for my next dog. I believe they are also on the vunerable
    breed list. Went to the discover dogs stand to find out info today and it said "away 10 minutes" so I popped back still no one there.
    I appreciate they are "low number breed" so will go again tomorrow (got ticket for tomorrow as well)

Plan to ask questions. Just wondered if anyone had anty inside information on them?

I believe they are very very similar to rough collies just not as popular. But a stunning dog I think.
  10. Kazz

Kazz New Member

Name:
    Karen
    Are you sure you are not me, today I could be anyone :002:
  11. madmare

madmare New Member

Name:
    Bev
    They are the same as Roughs just with a short coat. They have never been as popular as Roughs because they don't look so glamarous, but are a super dog to own.
  12. Kazz

Kazz New Member

Name:
    Karen
    This is a picture from the website. [​IMG]

I think they are stunning dogs to look at,
  13. madmare

madmare New Member

Name:
    Bev
    This is a picture of my young 6 month old bitch when she won BOB.

[​IMG]

This was one of my Smooths too. Our prefix was Lemino and he is Ch Astrelita Pot Black at Lemino

[​IMG]
  14. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum

Name:
    Sue
    I've always loved Smooths -the first I ever saw was owned by a man who owned a shop in Glastonbury and it was a blue merle. Nearly 30 years later and he still owns them, I believe his aunt is a top breeder. Looks wise I love them, but I am not sure I would click with the temperament.
  15. Kazz

Kazz New Member

Name:
    Karen
    Why the temprament none click?
  16. youngstevie

youngstevie

Well Im not sure who Kazz is today:lol: :lol: ,. but we have a guy near Yardley that has one, I have tried getting him into conversation but he's a bit aloof,:-( the smooth however is wonderful Kazz....whoever you are:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Lovely dogs, but not a common thing to see;-)
  17. Kazz

Kazz New Member

Name:
    Karen
    Lovely looking dogs.
  18. Kazz

Kazz New Member

Name:
    Karen

Have you been to Crufts Steph?
    No not common but I have seen one in Sutton park and think I have seen him the bloke I mean around the back end of Yardley sort of way, never tried to engage him in conversation but will next time I see him.;-)

Have you meet many smooths? I am really taken with them and the ones I saw at Crufts today were smashing.
  19. youngstevie

youngstevie

Didn't go this year hun, went the last 4 though.
    Have seen a few, mainly a shows, and the one near Yardley, when we went to Sheldon Heath fun show a lady had 4, and saw another at Alvechurch at a dog show last year in the summer. I quite like them, and I think as the rough are high maintenance with grooming the smooth would be ideal for those that don't want the hassel8)
  20. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    Lovely dogs Madmare. I hope you do get a Smooth in the future Kazz, as I would love to know what they are like to own.

I have said loads of times before, that I would love an old-fashioned Rough collie (a bigger dog with lesser coat than the ones you see today) but as they are impossible to find in this country, I will do without. The Smooth never really appealed (probably because they aren't as eyecatching as the Rough) but I could change my mind ;-)
  21. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    Do you have any pics of your Roughs MM?