Dog noticeably under weight Health

Discussion in 'Ibizan Hound' started by Abrielle, Jan 25, 2017.

1. Abrielle

Abrielle New Member

Name:
    Abrielle

Dog noticeably under weight

My 8month old Ibizan Hound won't gain weight and people at ring craft have commented on how thin she looks ☹. She isn't interested in food and will happily go days without eating. I changed her food and she wolfed it down day 1 but now day 2 didn't eat any thing. I feel I am being made to feel like I starve her, when this is not the case, I have tried little and often meals as I feel she gets too full.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Many years ago, I had a Cavalier who would never eat a sufficient amount to look finished enough to show. I used to top her up with ginger biscuits, and anything else she showed interest in, but she remained healthy but underweight. Around middle age I had her spayed, (she turned out to only have one ovary, as did her only daughter, but I don't think this was connected), and she went on to develop a normal appetite and bodyweight. Always very fit, I lost her with a brain tumour aged 12.
  4. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Forgot to add, she did have a course of B12 injections too, which were no help.
  5. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Has she been checked for Pancreatitis.
  6. Boerboel

Boerboel New Member

Name:
    Misty
    I had a bitch like this, and she only improved after maturity and a litter.

The trick is not to be tempted to give a bigger meal when they choose to eat, as then they are not hungry and refuse next meal until you offer something novel.

Giving several meals of a high quality nutrient dense easily digested food.

Do not give treats between meals, offer the food for 15 minutes, and pick up until next meal time.

Do not make a big deal of meals, leave the room so she doesn't pick up on your stress.

Has she had a season yet? Mine was worse during and just after seasons.

She had a litter at 2, ate really well while rearing pups, but back to picking on next season.

I stopped fussing, did as above and she gradually improved by three years or so.
  7. Kitkat_

Kitkat_ Member

Name:
    Katie
    Have you got any pictures of her? Beezers are skinny little creatures anyway as I am sure you know. Maybe take her to the vets to get a blood panel done so you have more of an idea what may be causing it.