Dogo Argentino!! Need information from owners Questions

Discussion in 'Bull Breeds Forum' started by Naya1974, Nov 4, 2009.

1. Naya1974

Naya1974 New Member

Name:
    Natalia

Dogo Argentino!! Need information from owners

Hello All!!!

I Am A New User Who Is In Need Of Information From Anyone Who Is The Owner Of A Dogo Argentino. I Did Plenty Of Research And I Am Sure That I M Prepared For Such A Dog But The More I Google And Read, The More I Am Thinking That Just Maybe I Need To Know The Real Deal From One Who Knows First Hand! Please Assist.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Shona

Shona

Name:
    shona
    this breed is currently banned in the uk, there are no members that I know of which own the breed

but some members may have some knowlage of them,
  4. Naya1974

Naya1974 New Member

Name:
    Natalia
    Are People On This Site Only From The Uk? Is The Breed That Bad That They Would Be Banned Where You Are?
  5. Shona

Shona

Name:
    shona
    mostly uk members, though we have a fair amount from other countrys,

I really cant say what the breed are like, be it good, bad or whatever, I have never met one,

there are four breeds that are banned in the uk, Pit Bull Terriers, Japanese Tosa, the Dogo Argentino, and the Fila Brazileiro.

these breeds were banned under the DDA {The Dangerous Dogs Act 1991}

it was the actions of owners that led to the banning of breeds, most of it was centred round the pit bull,
  6. Alphatest

Alphatest Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    Have a look at this thread: http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?p=216061#post216061

We have members from all over the world - but mostly from the UK :)

Re the Dogo - why are you considering this breed? It is not for a first time dog owner. (It's banned in the UK)

You'd be better off letting people know a bit about yourself and what kind of dog you are after and they may be able to offer a more valid opinion then :)
  7. Lou

Lou New Member

Name:
    Lou
  8. tabsmagic

tabsmagic New Member

Name:
    tabs
    Interesting thread motivated me to find out about a breed i did not even know existed!!
  9. Emma

Emma New Member

Name:
    Emma
    I am in Australia, they have the same banned breeds
  10. Naya1974

Naya1974 New Member

Name:
    Natalia
    Thanks alot guys!

Someone asked why do i want this breed and what am I looking for in a dog, so that maybe some of you can suggest some other breed, though I am VERY interested in the DOGO! I want a big, strong dog as I have a son who is VERY rough. I want a protector of the family for sure and a very smart dog. I want a very affectionate dog as well. I found all of these things to be said about the dogo.
  11. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    All of those qualities can be found in many other breeds too, but no matter what breed you go for, you are going to have to educate your Son to be less rough with what ever dog you get.. other wise you may find you have a few problems on your hands!!!
  12. hades

hades New Member

Name:
    lexus
    We do have a member on dogsey that owns two dogos and a american staff, all his dogs are beautiful and he might be able to give you some advise on the breed.

As others have said they are banned in the u.k, which is a shame because they are beautiful dogs.
    I dont know alot about the breed myself, but I would defo say they are not a breed for first time dog owners from what I have read.
    Heres abit of info for you hope it helps,

The Dogo Argentino Breed Description
    Coat
    The Dogo Argentino coat is glossy, thick, short, and is soft in texture. They are constant shedders.

Overview
    Originating during the 1920's, this breed was developed by Dr. Antonio Nores Martinez to be a fearless big game hunter. They were also used in police and military work as well as a family guard dog and guide dog. However, the Dogo Argentino breed became a favorite of those involved in the bloodsport of dog fighting and as a result gained negative noteriety. In 1991 the Dogo Argentino was banned in Britain under the Dangerous Dog Act. They are also banned in Australia.

Character
    With a unique coat, extremely strong jaws, and intense expression, the Dogo Argentino is a muscular breed of Mastiff proportion. This breed is highly intelligent, courageous, and mentally stable. Unprovoked aggressiveness or cowardice is considered to be a severe defect.

Temperament
    The Dogo Argentino is not recommended for the novice or first time dog owner. This breed is extremely dominant and requires a dominant owner. It is crucial that new owners find ethical and reputable breeders as a steady temperament is imperative. They are loyal and devoted to family and make excellent guardians of their home and territory. This breed will do well with other pets they have been raised with. They are good with children but should never be left unsupervised. Dogo Argentino's area breed that exhibits dignity and is imposing in appearance. Potential owners need to be aware that this breed may be targeted for banning laws. In addition, insurance companies may refuse to provide homeowner policies due to the risk of legal issues.

Care
    Dogo Argentino's require weekly brushing to minimize loose and dead hair. Bathing should only be done when necessary using a mild shampoo or a shampoo formulated for white coats. Frequent nail clipping is required. This breed is relatively healthy, although deafness and hip dysplasia can occur.

Training
    Early and intense socialization and obedience training is an absolute must. This breed is highly intelligent and training must be done with respect, love, firmness, fairness, and consistency. The Dogo Argentino responds well to reward. Unpredictable behavior can occur if training is done with harshness, kennel isolation, or a regime of tough training. They excel in agility, as guide dogs, and police work.

Activity
    This breed thrives on athletic activity and vigorous exercise. They are not recommended for apartment living. They do best in a securely fenced yard. The Dogo Argentino make good walking and jogging companions provided they are securely leashed and muzzled in public.

Ownership
    If you are looking for Dogo Argentino puppies for sale from reputable Dogo Argentino breeders or to adopt a Dogo Argentino from a Dogo Argentino rescue then make sure you understand as much about the dog breeds you are interested in as you can.
  13. Naya1974

Naya1974 New Member

Name:
    Natalia
    Hello Hades!!!

Thank you so much!! please let me know who that individual is that is the owner of the two Dogos!!!

Your information was very helpfull and I still am the go and get it, side of the fence regarding the DOGO puppy.
  14. tinkladyv

tinkladyv New Member

Name:
    Gem
    What an interesting thread, learnt a lot :)
  15. hades

hades New Member

Name:
    lexus
    I think the member is called dogonights, I think that is his name.
    How you getting on with your search of info and stuff??