Dutch Shepherd pup wanted. General Chat

Discussion in 'Dutch Shepherd Dog' started by mr_miyagi, Mar 8, 2013.

1. mr_miyagi

mr_miyagi New Member

Name:
    steve

Dutch Shepherd pup wanted.

Hi guys,

I've been wanting a dog for a while. We've had lots of dogs in our family over the years, mostly German Shepherds, and it's time to get another. I want a Shepherd dog from a working line and I've been looking at either German, Belgian or Dutch. After a lot of reading up on the net and talking to people etc I have to say the top of the list is a Dutchie, then a German would be second choice and the Belgian I think might just be too much for me, not sure.

Here's the problem, Dutch Shepherds in the UK are like hens teeth. There are some not far from me but the parents are European imports and not KC registered but FCI. What does this mean? How can I check for any potential health issues etc? they've also not been vaccinated and they're three months old.

Basically, the last thing I want to do is buy something that I regret in a few years time. I'm in no rush and don't mind waiting another year if needs be. I would rather take my time and get something that's right, after all it's going to be with me for the rest of it's life. I've not ruled out importing one so how would I go about this and what are the typical costs?

Any helpful advice would be very gratefully received, especially from other DS owners.

Thanks.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    Hi Steve, sorry only just noticed this!

How did you get on after - did you manage to find a breeder? There are a few in the UK, and I can find the links for you if you're still looking.
  4. wildmoor

wildmoor Member

Name:
    Pam
    Azz likes this.
    the Dutch Shepherd is not recognised by the UK KC, but if the pup as a FCI pedigree from a FCI member Kennel Club you can participate in events in Europe
  5. Bonni

Bonni Member

Name:
    Bonni
    A lot of cross breeds being sold as exotic or rare breeds so watch out for that.
  6. Dutch2012

Dutch2012 New Member

Name:
    Dutch
    Moobli likes this.
    Hello
    The Dutchie is not recognised in the UK by the kennel club. Most are considered cross breeds (including my working dog and my bitch) In that they have been bred for working lines with imput from other breeds including believe it or not Pit Bull at some point in their history. Some Herder lines will throw out Malinois marked puppies from Herder X Herder matings. To me a Herder is very similar to Malinois but is more chilled and is able to switch off when not working, HOWEVER, these dogs need to be stimulated either by sport or having a job otherwise they can become unmanagable. They are not suitable to a novice handler, in my opinion, and can be quite handler sensitive, I.E hard handling can have a negative impact on these dogs.
    If you are still interested in the breed and wish to meet my herders I am more than willing for you to come and meet them, I would rather you do this to help you make up your mind rather than committing to a dog that you can't cope with and have problems with. I am based in North Yorkshire by the way. Marc
  7. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    Great advice and very interesting comparison with Malinois.