Eddie's ongoing health problem Health

Discussion in 'Beagle' started by CaroleC, Feb 16, 2015.

1. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    6JRT's likes this.
    Ed was rather sleepy yesterday, and did have loose bloodstained poop.
    (@Malka Remembered your tip about the baby wipes!) However, today he's right back on form in all departments! This little man's ability to bounce back is inspirational!

He has to go back to the vet sometime this week to have a baseline eye test, before starting on his new drug. (Which I think will be sulphasalazine). This will allow them to quickly detect any negative side effects which may occur. He already on routine testing for his thyroid levels.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    CaroleC likes this.
    @CaroleC - Glad you remembered about the baby wipes - they really are useful for more than just babies!

I hope Eddie is feeling better today and that the eye test is as it should be.
  4. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    Malka and CaroleC like this.
    Glad he's bounced back and hope it all goes well at the vets this week.

If the baby wipes aren't big or strong enough, there are various types of wipes made for dogs - I usually have Bob Martin's Rub Downs on hand when Pepe needs clipping and his face needs cleaning! I'm sure they will be just as effective down the other end!
  5. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    CaroleC likes this.
    Baby wipes are brilliant on dogs muddy paws also cleaning mud off ear flaps.
  6. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Time for an update.

Last Friday I took Eddie to see our favourite vet for a thyroid blood test, and also a tear test (because of the sulphasalazine he takes for his bowel problem). Both were passable. I mentioned that he was passing more blood than I would expect, as it is only just over 2 months since the latest crop of polyps was removed. She gave him an internal, and the news was not good as she says he has several flat growths in his rectum, 'the size of 50p pieces'.To think I was cock a hoop that his condition was not malignant, as these results seem just as bad.
    Vicky suggests that we try to leave it a couple of months, (or until he is having trouble passing a motion), and then she will do a radical rectal strip - poor boy! She also said that this will only buy time, as eventually he will block completely. I have cried every day since. Yesterday was a bad one, he struggled to pass about 10 tiny poos, all of which were followed by a bleed, but today he has been back on track, energetic and cheeky - a typical Beagle!
    We are proposing to carry on treating him as a normal dog until he becomes permanently uncomfortable, and then to try this full rectal strip. We have hardly got over losing Tweed, and my only niggle is, for whose benefit am I making these plans? Then again, at training tonight he was so naughty - I let him get away with murder - how could I possibly give up on him?
  7. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    CaroleC likes this.
    He IS a normal dog - just as Pereg was a normal dog. And of course you cannot give up on him. Whose benefit? Whatever you decide will be for Eddie, not for you. Just as I did for my beloved Pereg.

I have just looked up a rectal strip [after Tikva would not let me go back to bed] and although it sounds horrid, from what I have been reading it is not as bad as it seems.

But I know how you feel though about losing Tweed as I still have not gotten over losing Pereg and then Baby Ziva "vanishing" while I was in hospital after I had only had her for 11 days. 1 April for Pereg and 1 May being the last time I saw Ziva.

Sending zillions of {{{vibes}}} for Eddie and lots of love and [[[hugs]]] for you.
  8. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Thank you Malka. I think that is what I feel too.
    I'm off to look up rectal strip too - I really should have done that before posting!
  9. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    CaroleC likes this.
    I will look up rectal strip too - though I'll wait till after I've had my breakfast! (I'm running late this morning.)

I can only imagine how you must be feeling. I hope that his 'normal' days far outnumber his uncomfortable ones and that the vet can do something to help him.
  10. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    CaroleC likes this.
    Eddie is just a lovable Beagle I am sending him lots of kisses & hugs :008: :079:
  11. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    @Malka Could you please supply a link to a good description of this op.?
    I have found one site which describes using some kind of ultrasonic device which has been tested on 20 dogs, (Oh dear!). They suggest that there is a considerable saving in surgical time. I don't know whether my vets would have this equipment, so I would like to find out what would the standard procedure involves.
  12. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    CaroleC likes this.
  13. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    CaroleC likes this.
    Nothing much to say other than the biggest of <hugs> for you all combined with tons of positive vibes xxx
  14. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    CaroleC likes this.
    Sorry to hear about Eddie, sending good thoughts and hugs xx
  15. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Malka and Azz like this.
    @Azz I don't know whether I'd fancy poking anything up there - I would be too worried about making him bleed. He does have a product similar to Fybogel added to his breakfast probiotic mix, and I also give him Lactulose if he does have problems 'going'. At the moment he is going rather too often, but this husk product works both ways, so he doesn't pass any liquid poop - yet. (I know, too much information).

Thank you everyone for your good wishes - I really do appreciate it.
  16. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    On our walk today, Eddie prolapsed a tumour which was about the end of a thumb in size. I popped it back inside with a tissue, but he is losing rather bloody pieces of it. We have made a vet appointment for Monday morning, and he starts his starve tomorrow, as I'm certain that he will be kept in.
    In the meantime, I'm dressing his bum with local anaesthetic haemorrhoid ointment, but he doesn't seem to feel uncomfortable until he 'goes'. In fact, he was doing his, 'this is my fancy Obedience walk', when trying to earn a treat off OH.
    My heart is in my mouth, wondering what they will find this time. I'll update when I have news.
  17. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    CaroleC likes this.
    Poor Eddie - and poor you as well. I do hope he is not in a lot of pain but most haemorrhoid ointment should make him feel comfortable.

Such a worry for you though - I send Eddie loads of cyber {{{vibes}}} and I think you could do with some too. xx
  18. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    CaroleC likes this.
    Oh no,so sorry to read this.

Hope all goes well on Monday - but at least it sounds as if he's feeling OK most of the time.
  19. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    CaroleC likes this.
    Hope everything goes well for Eddie
  20. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    CaroleC likes this.
    Fingers crossed for you both x