Elizabethan collar alternative? Questions

Discussion in 'Cane Corso' started by Lumaie, Jan 26, 2023.

1. Lumaie

Lumaie New Member

Name:
    Lumaie

Elizabethan collar alternative?

Hello. Our 2.5 year old girl Corso needs surgery on a front knee. This is obviously not a good spot on a rambunctious dog. I am looking at protective sleeves for the leg. I am also stumped in regards to a protective collar. She hates the cone collars. She violently slams into walls until she tears them off. That is also how she pops the inflatables. Has anyone used an alternative with success? Which one?
    Any and all input would be much appreciated.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    Wow, that's a difficult one - so much so I had a quick search to see if they did anything other than what you've already tried.

I would guess that maybe something foam, rather than air filled could be better, but couldn't find anything

Good luck in your search and on your girl's op and recovery
  4. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    We had an aussie who ripped out her spay stitches even with the elizabethan collar on. The vet ended up getting a rubbermaid bucket, cutting a hole in the bottom big enough for her head to go into, and then made slit around the bottom edge and ran gauze through them and tied the gauze around her neck. It worked for the week.

As this is on the front leg, she may be able to "get around" a collar of any type to bother her knee. It just will really depend on how leggy she is and/or how much of a contortionist she is.

I will say the far majority of dogs I've had never needed to wear a collar after surgery. They never bothered their incision except for an occasional lick.

You could be fine with just the sleeve and giving her interactive food toys (like a peanut butter filled kong) to keep her mind off the knee and keep her staying quiet.