Enclosed Area For Off Lead Run Questions

Discussion in 'Greyhound' started by JamieWilson, Oct 25, 2011.

1. JamieWilson

JamieWilson New Member

Name:
    JamieWilson

Enclosed Area For Off Lead Run

Can anyone recommend an enclosed area in the north west where we can let Paddy off lead, his chase instinct is too strong for general fields or parks.

Any help would be appreciated.

Ta :grin:
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Jugsmalone

Jugsmalone

Name:
    Jules
    Apparently one on smedley fields and one on waterloo rd in cheetham hill in manchester. I have not been to them, got this info off the internet. I think theres an enclosed area in heaton park also Manchester

HTH :grin:
  4. madmare

madmare New Member

Name:
    Bev
    Shame your not nearer as I take bookings for a large 4.5 acre fully enclosed field that was done especially for greyhounds. Although other breeds do use it. You book it and have it all to yourself for the time you book.
    Hope you can find somewhere.
  5. JamieWilson

JamieWilson New Member

Name:
    JamieWilson
    madmare - Sounds perfect, I've been round the local farms but they either don't have appropriate fields or told us they didn't want us using their fields.
    Jugsmalone - Thanks i'll check them out.
  6. madmare

madmare New Member

Name:
    Bev
    Look to see if you have any racing greyhound kennels near you as that is how |I found this field a few years ago. Or failing that do you know anyone with a tennis court that my let you rent it or borrow it occasionally.
  7. JamieWilson

JamieWilson New Member

Name:
    JamieWilson
    All the tennis courts near us are open, we live relatively near Belle Vue stadium so the racing kennels might not be a bad idea.
  8. 2Greys

2Greys New Member

Name:
    G
    Could try Lancs & Belle vue RGT they maybe able to recommend places in your area. Other option maybe hiring an indoor riding school.

As per madmare's suggestion, you can get a list of trainers in your county on GBGB (on that red stripe).
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2011
  9. JamieWilson

JamieWilson New Member

Name:
    JamieWilson
    Yep, thats where we got Paddy from and have had him back a few times but it's a fair drive from where we live. They actually have two paddocks and an enclosed field (If only they were closer!) Lovely people though!

Thanks for the list of trainers!

P.S = If you look on there home page (Lancs & Belle Vue RGT) the video is of Paddy.
  10. coventrycatfish

coventrycatfish New Member

Name:
    Bek
    Haha, I was going to ask you if it was the same Paddy. I've got Guinness. Saw your video when it went up on the site, Paddy looks like he's having a great time.
  11. JamieWilson

JamieWilson New Member

Name:
    JamieWilson
    haha, I think I remember seeing Guinness after looking at the picture on dogs re-homed. Might have been when we drove down to use the paddocks. He settled in okay? I'm currently sat on the floor while Paddys spread out across the couch. Lazy boy!
  12. coventrycatfish

Name:
    Bek
    He settled in really quickly, which was something of a surprise. Considering his nervous nature we were expecting a fairly long settling period. He's still fearful of strangers (human ones that is) but we're gradually working on that. He seems to prefer his bed to the sofa, but that might be because he's got a giant dog bed that I made from two cushions from our previous sofa and a double duvet with a fleecy blanket on top.
  13. JamieWilson

JamieWilson New Member

Name:
    JamieWilson
    Sounds better than my own bed!
    Paddy is very nervous of 'new' men, he cowers away from them till he gets to know them.
    He's also nervous of other dogs that jump and bark, in 8 months we've heard Paddy bark twice, once at a sheep and once at a horse.
  14. JamieWilson

JamieWilson New Member

Name:
    JamieWilson
    Just had a look at Paddy's race history and he did well, might explain his high prey drive.
  15. dizzi

dizzi New Member

Name:
    anon
    Aaah another Honcho dog - mine's related, think lots on here are because of those Honcho boys.

Nancy did a few more races - she managed to get onto two pages for her race history and did 119 - considering she's the laziest thing going - quite how she was any good is a mystery.
  16. coventrycatfish

Name:
    Bek
    Yes, Guinness is related to Paddy on both sides of the family tree. He has Head Honcho as his great grandfather on his father's side, and on his mother's side Staplers Jo is his great grandfather.

Guinness isn't on the Greyhound Data site himself (although he did race at Belle Vue), but two of his litter mates are.
  17. JamieWilson

JamieWilson New Member

Name:
    JamieWilson
    Thought we'd found somewhere else to let Pad off lead yesterday a huge area of tennis courts, but Pad managed to find a hole in the fence I'd missed luckily there was two of us and just got to the whole before him! Can spot a chance of freedom at 5 miles he can!
    Walked through loads of fields but non were enclosed, I always thought finding a fenced off field wouldn't be a problem but they seem to be extremely rare!

I've noticed most retired racers seem to be related to Head Honcho at some point.
  18. Thechick77

Thechick77 New Member

Name:
    Jill
    Hi how much do you charge? I have a shar pei who is lovely but doesn't come back on a recall and desperately need somewhere to teach him... Thanks Jill
  19. madmare

madmare New Member

Name:
    Bev
    The owner of the field charges £5 per half hour, however a greyhound friend of mine has just bought a nice big field especially for the dogs and is having it all fenced securely for them to run in. She will be letting it out when its all done for a small charge. The money she makes on it will be going to our local greyhound rescue.
  20. GandalfTheGrey

GandalfTheGrey New Member

Name:
    Andy
    @ Madmare,

Would like to be kept up to date on this also as looking for somewhere to free run my 2 Greys Niamh and Marley.
  21. JamieWilson

JamieWilson New Member

Name:
    JamieWilson
    Still looking for somewhere to let them have a run. Our second Grey Pippa really needs the run more than Paddy she is dying for a good sprint!