English Pointers, just after some info please :) General Chat

Discussion in 'Pointer' started by Kimbles, Aug 7, 2008.

1. Kimbles

Kimbles New Member

Name:
    Kimberley

English Pointers, just after some info please :)

Hi all

Right start at the beginning, my mum and my sister have just gotten 2 German shorthaired Pointer Puppies:049: they researched the breed before hand and have prepared for their arrival and now we start the task of training the girls, I say we as they will be staying with me from fri until tuesday so basically any advice you can give??
    Rudy seems to be a little wary of my 3 little ones, she is 13 weeks and as she is going to be a big dog and around the kids alot we need to make sure she is comfortable around them so any advice greatly appreciated:grin:

Then to my next question,, does anyone here have an English Pointer?? I say this because after doing some research of my own I would love to have one of these one day when the kids are bigger and we have more time for a dog, Just want to learn everything there is to know about them in the mean time, and know all the things I should look for in a good breeder.

Thanx all x x x
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Wozzy

Wozzy New Member

Name:
    Leanne
    Be firm, be consistent, never ask for anything to be done twice - insist it's done after the first time. They are strong willed dogs who can be quite headstrong. As all gundogs are, they are very people orientated and great family pets but tend to bond to one person.
    Training and exercise are a must as they have seemingly limitless energy and are slow to mature.

As for English Pointers, dont know much about them but I believe them to be very sensitive and require handling to suit. Certainly all the ones I have seen seem to be quite subdued and nervy.

Pointers (English Pointer) and HPR's (GSP's) tend to be less common in the gundog world because they require slightly more complex training and are perhaps less biddable.

But either way, with time spent, both are beautiful breeds.
  4. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    If you are interested in an English Pointer, the only advice I would give is to go for a show bred or dual purpose bred pup, but definitely not from pure working strains. My friend has two and they are working gundogs and NEED to work. Helen is a member of Dogsey, so hopefully she will come along to give you some advice soon.

I used to often meet a lady walking her (show bred) English Pointer and we would walk our dogs together and her bitch was gorgeous. Very quiet and biddable - a really graceful dog. Good luck with your research.
  5. Kimbles

Kimbles New Member

Name:
    Kimberley
    Thank you so much for your replies, When the time comes for us to get our english pointer I will be getting her from show bred lines where I can look back through her lines and see her pedigree and lineage to be sure Im happy with it all:grin:

I will make sure I dont go for a puppy from working bred lines, thanx for the advice:grin:
  6. Holly-Rosee

Holly-Rosee New Member

Name:
    Holly and Ros
    hi english pointers are really lovely dogs fantastic natures my friend has had them for more than thirty years and i have never seen any of them get angry at anything the bitches can be a bit nervy but the dogs are great ros
  7. Ripsnorterthe2nd

Ripsnorterthe2nd New Member

Name:
    Emma
    I had the opportunity to take an English Pointer in the show ring a few weeks ago and I have to say this dog was an absolute dream! I obviously can't speak for all Pointers, but from what I've seen they seem to be very affectionate big soppy pooches! :lol:

Good luck in your search. :D
  8. scorpio

scorpio Member

Name:
    Sheree
    I've been fortunate to own and show English Pointers, here's a piccy of Tawny winning best puppy at an open show.

[​IMG]

Mine had fantastic temperaments but, considering they are gundogs, were scared of any loud noises, aircraft flying overhead, thunder etc. The setters would totally ignore everything but the pointers would both come skulking in for big cuddles and reassurance, they weren't just scared, they were terrified and trembling as I cuddled them.

Tawny was half show lines and half working, Lacey was totally show lines and they came from different homes at different ages, but were both exactly the same about noises.

Hope this helps :grin:
  9. Holly-Rosee

Holly-Rosee New Member

Name:
    Holly and Ros
    hi shes lovely and i must say orange is my favorite colour in the breed ros