Escaping and running off Behaviour

Discussion in 'Terrier Forum' started by SusieJo, Jun 16, 2018.

1. SusieJo

SusieJo New Member

Name:
    Andy

Escaping and running off

Hi, we adopted a Border Terrier mix male in September. They think he is about 4. He is the sweetest, most affectionate dog I have ever met! But he is an escape artist and a runner. I had JUST gotten him trained to come in from the backyard, which was finally fully secured and he could not escape from when the landlady takes down and entire fence to repair. It will be down for at least a month. So he is now frustrated at his lack of “freedom.” He escapees out the front door twice yesterday and went on long runs. We’d not chase him and let him come back, but we have several neighbors with dogs that he likes to visit and they are on a campaign to have him taken away from us because of this, even though we IMMEDIATELY go after him and he had never gotten out without us knowing and going after him right away. I am at a loss as to what to do in these situations. We really, really try to secure it so that he can’t get out. I’m so scared that he will be taken away. Also! He has learned how to escape from two types of body harnesses! I have a Halti coming on Monday, hoping that will work.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    The front door issue is more a matter of training yourself and your family because he can only escape if the door is opened with him close.

If he is such an escape artist, the halti alone is unlikely to hold him. Use the harness too as a back up by running a safety strap between the halti and the harness or using a double ended lead.

Those are the maintenance measures. For training, teach him a solid 'stay', that way you can have him stay at the other side of the room while going out the door. Every time he gets out, it's self-rewarding so he really needs to be broken of the habit. He also needs to be taught 'leave' and how to walk nicely on a lead.

Border Terriers love to please. Make the most of that and fuss and reward him for every step in the right direction