estrus and hiking Questions

Discussion in 'Jack Russell Terrier' started by jrtgirl, Aug 19, 2021.

1. jrtgirl

jrtgirl New Member

Name:
    sunny

estrus and hiking

My girl has just started her first heat / estrus cycle. Our vet suggested letting her go through one cycle before spay. We are avid hikers and I want to find out if she's OK to hike while in heat. There are few or no other dogs on our hikes, so I'm not concerned about mating. I just don't know if she should do this. We typically hike 6-10 miles. Thank you.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Helidale

Helidale Member

Name:
    Carole
    Full marks to your vet! Far too many like to neuter while they are juveniles, and they really need those hormones to grow into the dog that nature intended.
    You don't say how old your JRT is. Six to 10 miles is not going to be too much for a 12 month old terrier - whether in season or not. However, it is more than I would want to do with a 6 - 7 month puppy. This is because a puppy's joints are still developing until all her growing is completed.
    If your girl is in season, she would have to be kept on a leash for security, (they can act out of character at the height of their heat period). On balance, I think I would put my hiking on hold for three weeks.
  4. jrtgirl

jrtgirl New Member

Name:
    sunny
    She's 11 months old and we've been hiking for about a month. I use a harness with a handle and lift her up and down anything that would require her to jump because of concern over growth plates. She's always on leash anyway because she is obsessed with chipmunks and other furry creatures in the woods. I tried off leash and nearly lost her once. That was enough. I think some dogs are so focused on "hunt" that they don't even hear. Forget my recall when a smelly rodent is around.

I'd like never to spay her but probably will. Gulp. I've only ever had rescues already spayed and one had "leaking" problems due to low hormones. Our neighbor just had his puppy die during spay surgery and, though that is rare, it freaked me out.

Good to know she can otherwise function normally. Thanks for your reply.
  5. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    In all my years, I've never had a problem due to spaying. Here in the states, it's a big thing because of the number homeless dogs, as well as the number of loose dogs and coyotes. A short romp in the backyard while in estrus, and every male dog and coyote will be there trying to get in. It's not just a matter of keeping your dog in, but of keeping all other dogs out. And if it's not loose males, it's in heat loose females running loose and getting into fights with other in heat females.

I had one rescue dog who was not spayed when I got her. She went into estrus. That poor dog was miserable the entire time I made her wear those panties (and I found a nice dark pair with no ruffles and such) inside the house (rental with carpets, so needed to be very careful). As soon as she was through, I got her spayed. We were both very happy.

For me, unless you are going to show (conformation) or breed there is no reason not to spay. One simple operation and a couple weeks of observation vs 2-4 weeks 1-4 times a year for 8-16 years. And if it means that those 2-4 weeks 1-4 times a year we would need to curtail our outdoor activities, then I think my dogs have been happy to skip it.

I know other regions are different, so the above if just my personal take.
  6. jrtgirl

jrtgirl New Member

Name:
    sunny
    Yes, your points are big considerations. I will probably spay. But not looking forward to it. So far she does not seem miserable though maybe a little more clingy. And coyotes are a huge concern for me. They are all around where I live. And hike.

7. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    If you've got coyotes, then don't take her hiking during estrus. Especially with her being a JRT - she's small enough for them to not be wary of her, but she knows she can take them (she's a JRT she can take down anything).

I understand the concerns, I lost a shepherd after surgery once. It was to remove mammary tumors and vet didn't do anything wrong, she just had severe separation anxiety and was too stressed out. She went into shock that night at home and was gone in moments. After that, I freaked out over all surgeries. After a while, my worries eased up and while I always keep a close eye on them, I don't get nervous about the surgery.

P.S. Tornado-dog says hello to his little cousin. He's a JRT/collie and loves to see his little JRT cousins out and about.
  8. jrtgirl

jrtgirl New Member

Name:
    sunny
    Really sorry to hear about your shepherd. And mammary tumors are what the vet is also warning me about if I don't spay.