Fainting dog Questions

Discussion in 'Shih Tzu' started by jon2389, Oct 21, 2019.

1. jon2389

jon2389 New Member

Name:
    Jon

Fainting dog

Hi everyone, I have an 8 year old female Shih tzu and just recently she occassiionally faints.
    This has happened about 4 or 5 times over the last month and each event lasts about 5 to 10 seconds and then she just returns to normal. She is completely fit and ok in every other way.
    When she faints she is just still, no twitching etc. and she goes a week or more without any problem.
    We have been to the vet and they gave her an ECG for her heart which showed no problems and now they have suggested it might be a breathing problem but she runs about having fun without struggling to breath.
    My question is has anyone experienced anything similar with their dog ?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I have never come across a dog that just faints - does there seem to be any pattern to it, time of day, just before or after a meal/walk etc and was there anything you can think of that triggered the fainting in the first place? And when you say she faints, does she fall down?

Did the vet do any blood tests or just the ECG?
  4. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    One of my past Löwchens fainted a few times when she was excited, but in her case it turned out to be due to heart failure. I think your vet would have spotted this if it was true in your case. Have you considered a blood sugar problem?
  5. jon2389

jon2389 New Member

Name:
    Jon
    The first 2 or 3 times she fainted it was at night after she ran upstairs so I thought it might be heart related but last week she woke up in the early hours of the morning , got out of her bed, walked to the Landing and just fainted....recovering in about 10 seconds or so. Heart tests showed no problems so the Vet is now considering her airway being blocked enough to cause a problem due to her being flat faced. 99% of the time she is as fit as ever, so investigations are continuing.
  6. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I know it will not solve the problem but as she was upstairs when she fainted, one thing I would suggest is putting a baby gate across the top of the stairs so she cannot fall down them and hurt herself.

I hope her problem is resolved asap.
  7. jon2389

jon2389 New Member

Name:
    Jon
    Thank you for the suggestion of a baby gate, we already have one anyway
  8. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
  9. jon2389

jon2389 New Member