female husky aggressive with other female Questions

Discussion in 'Siberian Husky' started by Tiffany.riha, Jan 27, 2018.

1. Tiffany.riha

Tiffany.riha New Member

Name:
    Tiffany

female husky aggressive with other female

I have a 3 yr old spayed femals weimaraner and 1 yr old neutered Siberian husky. wee just adopted a 1 yr old female unspayed Siberian husky. she was in her heat cycle when we brought her home. she has gone after our weimaraner twice and had to separate the 2 females. I am hoping that it is only heat aggression and not a permanent issue. she is now 2 days out of heat and we have followed the introduction walk guidelines that we found online for introducing s new dog into the home. however there is still a lot of growling coming from my new girl husky. it's only directed at my female and is typically when my weimaraner gets too close to my new dogs face. any sign of growling or staring, and I immediately separate them. (both kept on leashes while in the same room together). i was hoping you could shed some light or suggestions on ways to help them get along better. at the moment I CANNOT trust them alone together in the same room. I've had to keep them separated. I've only had the new dog for 5 days. today is the 5th day, and her second day out of her heat. I'm sure she still has some lingering hormones, at least this is what I am hoping is the issue. she's completely fine with our male husky. please help!! I've been scouting the internet and cannot find any info on this matter.

any suggestions on how to help her be less feisty with my other female? my weimaraner is not acting aggressively, or challenging, or staring at her. she is very playful and accepting of our new female. we rescued our new husky girl from a couple who were about to put her into a shelter and the owners lied about things about her such as her being housebroken and such. we also feel she may have been hit before. if we take hold of her collar or raise or arms she immediately stops and drops to the floor.

she had not shown any aggression towards myself, my husband or our 2 young kids or our male. she is extremely sweet and loving with the exception of our female weimaraner. pleae any help or suggestions are welcomed.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Bringing home a bitch in season with other dogs in the house was not a good idea.
    Would have been better to wait until season was finished and take the family and your own dogs to meet the dog, take her for a walk and spend some time with her and see how things went before agreeing?
    (Did she live with other dogs previously?)

Some dogs can’t settle into a new household in a week or so in some cases it can take months for them to settle into a new routine.
    It may be she just needs time to adjust and being in season wont help, but if things don’t improve soon I would suggest you get a reputable behaviorist in.
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2018
  4. Tiffany.riha

Tiffany.riha New Member

Name:
    Tiffany
    we did take our dogs over there to meet and spent about 2 hrs there with the dogs to get them aqainted. they sniffed a little and then pretty much ignored each other. my 2 dogs were way to interested in sniffing out the area around them. they didn't seem to be incompatible. both of my dogs are fixed, and I would have waited to bring her home, but they were going to take her to a shelter had I not taken her. she did have a male retriever and another female unspayed husky that lived in the household. they said the reason she needed to be gone is because they were splitting up and since they had 3 dogs, each Person was only going to take 1 dog and since she was the newest to the family she's the one they chose to get rid of. but who knitted how much truth there is to that. thru lied about other things about her too
  5. Branjo Snow

Branjo Snow New Member

Name:
    Branjo
    That husky has mischief written all over her face lol, absolutely gorgeous!

Yeah the first impressions were not ideal between these two with one being in heat n all. That being said I believe "time" is your best weapon here.

I would take only these two on walks together, leave the male at home, the more time they spend outside together might defuse the territorial dispute when they get home. You also might want to temporarily remove any toys n such from the equation, anything that could cause an "argument" really.

A lot of rescues have a chip on their shoulder, and its completely understandable. Its no different that foster kids being moved around a lot, they overly toughen up and have a "me against the world" attitude.

You just have to give that ice time to melt, they surely will develop a sense of family with each other. Of course it helps if there is always a "parent" around to supervise and a lot harder if they have to be left alone say during working hours.

But constantly separating them into their own spaces isn't a long term remedy either, and actually might make things worse in the long run.

Good luck.