Field training HV Dog Sports

Discussion in 'Hungarian Vizsla' started by Bandi, Jun 23, 2009.

1. Bandi

Bandi New Member

Name:
    Sarah

Field training HV

We have a 14 week old HV dog. Currently we are training him the basics. He will retrieve anything that's thrown for him. When is the best age to concentrate on the field aspect of working your dog. Dog trainer we have now has said now is a good time - what's your thoughts please.

Thanks Bandi.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. peedie

peedie New Member

Name:
    Kirsten
    I'd leave the intensive gundog training for a few months yet. I think after 6 months is the best time to start working a bit harder on the retrieves etc. For now, get a good base in obedience trained. Recall, sits, stays etc. Get him used to doing these things at home first, then outside, then in different situations outside such as in the park, in fields etc. You can throw a dummy for him to retrieve every now and again to keep him interested but I wouldn't worry too much about getting a perfect retrieve, that can come afterwards. The Gundog Club has some great courses. I am unable to attend a course as I am just too far away from any but you can buy the training booklet which are fantastic.
    Hope that helps :)
  4. Bandi

Bandi New Member

Name:
    Sarah
    Thanks for your advice. We were thinking of around 12 months, as you say when we have a good basic obedience. It's something time will bring.:)