Finish Spitz breed information wanted.

Discussion in 'Finnish Spitz' started by scraff, Nov 25, 2011.

1. scraff

scraff New Member

Name:
    scraff

Finish Spitz breed information wanted.

Hello, We are interested in getting either a Finish Spitz or Shiba Inu. We live in a cottage, with a small back garden but in the countryside so plenty of areas to exercise.

Does anyone have any experience with these dogs? Thanks!
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. moetmum

moetmum New Member

Name:
    Gerry
    I considered a Finnish Spitz, went to visit them at a show, approached where they were and instantly changed my mind! They were very noisy. The Finnish translation of their name I was later told is barking bird dog.

I did subsequently get to know someone who owned FS and she did say that they can be trained not to bark excessively.
  4. Cassius

Cassius New Member

Name:
    Laura
    I stweard at a local show where one of the entrants is a Finnish Spitz. Personally, it's possibly the smallest of the spitz breeds I'd ever consider myself but it's the fact that they' reknown for the noise they make that would put me off.

The dog at the show is always excessively noisy for apparently no reason. it does take a lot to train it out of them and unfortunately the owners of the one I know haven't put in that effort with their dog.

i think Vicky on here has a Shiba Inu. I don't have any experience of them myself - the closest I got to these was growing up with Akitas - very different.

It would be well worth you contacting breeders and going along to shows and competitions to see the dogs themselves and talk to other owners to see what they ahve to say. Most willl give you both the pros and cons of their breed.
  5. Tupacs2legs

Tupacs2legs New Member

Name:
    layla
    ... with both they are spitz's with prey drives...it depends on where u are in the countryside and what u want from your dog...ie is there livestock?
  6. WhichPets

WhichPets New Member

Name:
    WhichPets
    I don't know if the OP is still looking at this thread but just incase:

I have a norwegian buhund. I was looking at both the FS and Shibas when I got her.
    ~ Shiba Inus can rarely be let off lead. I know lots is down to training but these dogs have an incredibly high prey drive and I think most (not all) shiba owners keep them on leash most of the time.
    Vicki on here and another person has shibas.

~ Finnish Spitz's are known for their vocal nature. Like most things training is key but a natural pre-disposition to bark is there, so you are battling against their breed standard. I only know of one person with a finnish spitz, and my vet knows another, and they both say the barking drives them a bit mad :lol:

Incase you are interested by buhunds:
    I got a buhund as they are big dogs in a small body. They are active, intelligent and entertaining. My dog is keen to learn, has lots of energy, and can also relax around the house.

Many buhunds are also vocal. I have worked hard on training my dog since a puppy not to bark indoors. In the garden the will run up and down barking, this is ongoing training.
    My buhund is nervous (although improving) with strangers, but this is not usual in the breed, they are usually sociable dogs.

I would always suggest going to visit breeders and their dogs, or a show to get a feel for the breeds :)

My buhund
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  7. marpera

marpera New Member

Name:
    Marta
    I know some friends who have it, they tell me with very loyal and energetic. They really like running around the field so they will be very happy at home. Greetings