First dog ever. 9 weeks old MALINOIS. NEED HELP. I am CLUELESS Questions

Discussion in 'Belgian Shepherd Dog (Malinois)' started by Osama Waseem, Feb 11, 2020.

1. Osama Waseem

Osama Waseem New Member

Name:
    Osama

First dog ever. 9 weeks old MALINOIS. NEED HELP. I am CLUELESS

Hello everyone!

I just bought a malinois as my first dog. I will be picking it up from the owner in a week or two and she will be about 9-10 weeks old! I am completely clueless on where to begin and how to train a dog and what i need etc. Please help.

I have a male cat about 5 months old. I just want to put that info in there. Also i live in an apartment. I understand the puppy will need exercise and stuff but can i get some guidance on where to begin? This should be an exciting moment but kinda feels overwhelming because i'm lost. Again please help!
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    I feel that I have to post this. I do not intend to hurt your feelings.
    A Malinois is just about the last breed that I would recommend for a first time dog owner. This is a high drive breed, which means that it has a high level of mental energy and physical stamina. This is what makes the breed is popular with police forces and security services. It is not a breed that will settle happily in front of the fire after a walk round the park.
    In my opinion, a Malinois is more suitable for an experienced owner who understands the type of work and training that this breed needs. You will also have great difficulty in providing the right environment in an apartment - unless this is a garden apartment of course. You may or may not have a problem with your cat. Although the two will be growing up together, in my experience, cats do not enjoy the attention of large bouncy puppies, and usually try their best to stay out of the way.
    I am surprised that the breeder has not given you more help in understanding a puppy's general needs, and the requirements of a high energy working breed in particular.
  4. Old

Old Member

Name:
    Don
    For the sake of both the dog and you...DO ALL THE HOMEWORK YOU CAN before closing the deal. You probably should rethink a Mal!
  5. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    I completely agree with @CaroleC.

Besides your living arrangements this is absolutely not a breed for a first time dog owner. Just the heading for the thread is extremely concerning.

My first suggestion would be to talk to the breeder and 1) see if they will refund your money so that you can find an easier dog for your first time owning a dog, one that will be more suited to living in an apartment and with a very young cat, or 2) ask them for as much advice as possible.

My gut tells me this breeder is more concerned about money than finding the right home for their pups. Did they even ask you where you lived, if you’ve had a dog before and if you had other pets.

I am curious what you will do with this puppy while you are at work. If you are determined to get this dog, you should start puppy classes immediately and you might need to work periodically one on one with a trainer.

I apologize for coming on strong with my post, but as I said above, the fact the you say you need help and are clueless is very very concerning.

Good luck with whatever you decide
  6. CollieJenny

CollieJenny New Member

Name:
    I. K.
    Just don't take this pup. I don't know why a breeder would sell a pup to a first time owner. She will drive you insane. These are strong working dogs. They can be a dream or a nightmare, depending how experienced the owner is.
  7. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    I have nothing to add, except it’s a shame the question wasn’t asked before purchasing a puppy, I sincerely hope the op takes heed of the advice given though I doubt it as they have already bought puppy.
  8. Old

Old Member

Name:
    Don
    Sorry to say this.....
    Sometimes in life, you look back and say “What a mistake!”. I can almost guarantee the dog will end up on death row in a kennel as an out-of-control dog. It almost happened to me. It’s happened to many Mals!
  9. Old

Old Member

Name:
    Don
    This is what Mals do. They are working dogs and have to have a job. Are you ready for this......(see attachment- I hope)
    This is what you will have to control.
    https://pin.it/p3x6zi63zh4oui
  10. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Wow! What a fantastic spring that dog has. No criminal would want that on his heels.
  11. Old

Old Member

Name:
    Don
    Impressive
  12. Old

Old Member

Name:
    Don
    You are exactly right. If maximum frustration is the goal......a Mal is the answer.

Save yourself heartbreak, blood, and possible legal problems. You really should get a different dog. It is actually cruel to own a Mal without experience. They get confused and can cause some real problems.

https://pin.it/p3x6zi63zh4oui
  13. Old

Old Member

Name:
    Don
    Seriously, you should pass on this one. Even if you lose money, you will be better-off. From what you wrote, this would be a huge mistake. It’s a disaster waiting to happen.

You have good intent, but if you go through with this......it won’t end well.