First dog ever. 9 weeks old MALINOIS. NEED HELP. I am CLUELESS Questions

Discussion in 'Belgian Shepherd Dog (Malinois)' started by Osama Waseem, Feb 11, 2020.

1. Osama Waseem

Osama Waseem New Member

Name:
    Osama

First dog ever. 9 weeks old MALINOIS. NEED HELP. I am CLUELESS

Hello everyone!

I just bought a malinois as my first dog. I will be picking it up from the owner in a week or two and she will be about 9-10 weeks old! I am completely clueless on where to begin and how to train a dog and what i need etc. Please help.

I have a male cat about 5 months old. I just want to put that info in there. Also i live in an apartment. I understand the puppy will need exercise and stuff but can i get some guidance on where to begin? This should be an exciting moment but kinda feels overwhelming because i'm lost. Again please help!
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    I feel that I have to post this. I do not intend to hurt your feelings.
    A Malinois is just about the last breed that I would recommend for a first time dog owner. This is a high drive breed, which means that it has a high level of mental energy and physical stamina. This is what makes the breed is popular with police forces and security services. It is not a breed that will settle happily in front of the fire after a walk round the park.
    In my opinion, a Malinois is more suitable for an experienced owner who understands the type of work and training that this breed needs. You will also have great difficulty in providing the right environment in an apartment - unless this is a garden apartment of course. You may or may not have a problem with your cat. Although the two will be growing up together, in my experience, cats do not enjoy the attention of large bouncy puppies, and usually try their best to stay out of the way.
    I am surprised that the breeder has not given you more help in understanding a puppy's general needs, and the requirements of a high energy working breed in particular.
  4. Old

Old Member

Name:
    Don
    For the sake of both the dog and you...DO ALL THE HOMEWORK YOU CAN before closing the deal. You probably should rethink a Mal!
  5. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    I completely agree with @CaroleC.

Besides your living arrangements this is absolutely not a breed for a first time dog owner. Just the heading for the thread is extremely concerning.

My first suggestion would be to talk to the breeder and 1) see if they will refund your money so that you can find an easier dog for your first time owning a dog, one that will be more suited to living in an apartment and with a very young cat, or 2) ask them for as much advice as possible.

My gut tells me this breeder is more concerned about money than finding the right home for their pups. Did they even ask you where you lived, if you’ve had a dog before and if you had other pets.

I am curious what you will do with this puppy while you are at work. If you are determined to get this dog, you should start puppy classes immediately and you might need to work periodically one on one with a trainer.

I apologize for coming on strong with my post, but as I said above, the fact the you say you need help and are clueless is very very concerning.

Good luck with whatever you decide
  6. CollieJenny

CollieJenny New Member

Name:
    I. K.
    Chris, Old, Malka and 2 others like this.
    Just don't take this pup. I don't know why a breeder would sell a pup to a first time owner. She will drive you insane. These are strong working dogs. They can be a dream or a nightmare, depending how experienced the owner is.
  7. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    I have nothing to add, except it’s a shame the question wasn’t asked before purchasing a puppy, I sincerely hope the op takes heed of the advice given though I doubt it as they have already bought puppy.
  8. Old

Old Member

Name:
    Don
    Chris likes this.
    Sorry to say this.....
    Sometimes in life, you look back and say “What a mistake!”. I can almost guarantee the dog will end up on death row in a kennel as an out-of-control dog. It almost happened to me. It’s happened to many Mals!
  9. Old

Old Member

Name:
    Don
    Malka and CaroleC like this.
    This is what Mals do. They are working dogs and have to have a job. Are you ready for this......(see attachment- I hope)
    This is what you will have to control.
    https://pin.it/p3x6zi63zh4oui
  10. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Old likes this.
    Wow! What a fantastic spring that dog has. No criminal would want that on his heels.
  11. Old

Old Member

Name:
    Don
    Impressive
  12. Old

Old Member

Name:
    Don
    You are exactly right. If maximum frustration is the goal......a Mal is the answer.

Save yourself heartbreak, blood, and possible legal problems. You really should get a different dog. It is actually cruel to own a Mal without experience. They get confused and can cause some real problems.

https://pin.it/p3x6zi63zh4oui
  13. Old

Old Member

Name:
    Don
    Seriously, you should pass on this one. Even if you lose money, you will be better-off. From what you wrote, this would be a huge mistake. It’s a disaster waiting to happen.

You have good intent, but if you go through with this......it won’t end well.
  14. Animal Welfare

Animal Welfare New Member

Name:
    Animal Welfare
    Hello you all lovely people...

I am still new to this Forum and the the whole idea of sharing thoughts, concerns, questions and quotes with others, so please, do bear with me (especially if I sounded awkward) :rolleyes:

I currently have the following babies:

Ginger, German Long Hair 5 year old female cat (Toffee)
    Ginger, American and Brindle, Dutch 9 month old female bunnies (Jenny and Coco)

I recently adopted an American Akita (pinto - tricolor black mask) male Akita last November 2019: Hatchiko.

He is turning 6 months on the 28th of Feb. This boy is adorable, goofy and loves to communicate with his mouth a lot and I mean a lot!!! But he is the most enchanting and charming baby boy on this planet!

I actually needed some advice from your kind selves on the following points - had many dogs and pets before but this boy is really special:

1. Hatchiko is turning 6 months by the end of Feb and I was wondering if someone could help me out on knowing if this baby boy is going to be a giant or just a normal large size (VET claims he is huge lol but healthy and fit)
    32 kg, 65 cm height from foot till shoulder, 100 cm from snout tip till tail tip and 140 cm height whilst standing with his paws on my shoulders ( I am just 150 cm tall, weighing 50 kg 40 years of age) .

2. I feed him 3 home-cooked meals mixed with his dry food (MAXI PUP Royal Canine Kibble 2 full cups) with: usually chicken, meat or Tuna with mixed veggies + either pasta, bread or rice. His treats are all natural Turkey, corned beef, hot dogs or boiled eggs (sometimes cheese in minimal amounts as a reward) along with fat free yogurt and some broth; I really try my best to use natural ingredients

3. He is nearly done with his teething process i.e. no more milk teeth, but the adult ones are still pushing out and growing longer - I brush them at least 3 to 4 times a week

4. I walk him 30 to 40 minutes early morning, 30 to 40 minutes late afternoon and between 60 to 90 minutes before we sleep ( I give him 15 minutes to run around a closed park where we chase each other and play tug with his leash).

I am really, God knows, trying my best to keep him healthy, entertained and content.

Now, my issues which somehow concerns me:

1. He keeps getting diarrhea from time to time or soft stool (but no mucus, blood or parasites) - gave him a couple of medications prescribed by the vet but still it might stop and return (would sometimes eat grass or leaves to induce vomiting i.e. yellow liquid or mucus) but Vet said this is all normal from the weather change
    2. His mouth is mainly warm and he is salivating a lot (could be from his teeth growing process)
    3. He still loves to mouth on me especially when he needs something or wants me to do something for him ( I am working on that)
    4. Loves Toffee - my cat, plays with her from time to time, but he keeps pulling her hair, out of play, and chases her around - but never hurts her, and she just hisses or lays on her back a bit then runs to her carrier etc. ( I need your guidance on how to make them play softly)
    5. My bunnies are in their play den and he just licks them and stares at them all day - they are secured of course
    6. He loves people, kids and other dogs. He is very friendly and sociable and loves his routine and his long naps on the gold ceramic flooring. He is also very smart, hilarious, but stubborn and gets bored fast :)
    7. When we play together, and I sit on the floor, he keeps trying to mount me or hump me and I move him slowly away or cease him from such (as he sometimes bites on my arms and shoulder but without causing any damage)
    8. He started being very protective i.e. might bark on any weird looking moving object (plastic bags or moving shade cloths) while we are having our walks, any strange sound, or stand between me and the grocery guy when he arrives at my home (very very cute). He did not hit puberty yet as he still pees in a normal female-like position and his testicles are still upheld.
    9. He doesn't like to cuddle much except maybe snooze for a few minutes beside me (I actually intrude). At night, when it is sleep time, he starts by jumping on my bed, mouthing me slowly and twirling around, then goes down and sleeps under me but on the floor - every single day (I really hope that this pup loves me and is not annoyed from me... I think I need to be more patient for him to bond with me)

P.S. BTW, He adores my hubby, who works mainly from home so he stays with him more than I do, but the strange thing is that my husband might scold him (no scream or shout) when he does something wrong and doesn't actually interact with him as much as I do, but I guess Dogs really do feel intentions and what a person is from the inside rather than external deeds or actions only (lol..sometimes I feel that is not fair to me though)

I know that all the above might sound normal for most dogs, but of course, knowing how you all are experienced (probably in Akitas) and you are generous in sharing new info, I would really appreciate your feedback.

Thanks a million folks!
  15. Animal Welfare

Animal Welfare New Member

Name:
    Animal Welfare
    Old likes this.
    ----------------------------------------
    Hello Osama,
    I hope that you are doing well. I am sure that everyone here is trying to help, even though some responses might sound fearsome, but I assure you that they are all our out love and experience. Usually large to giant breeds require a lot of space and you being around them when they are still young or at least someone is to be there whilst you are away at work. From my humble opinion, I don't usually abide by the "Breed Rule of Temperament" or to mark a specific bloodline with a character or standardized behavior. All dogs are different, everyone has his or her own traits which we should indulge. But, the general safety for both you and the dog is a thing that matters to us readers too. Think calmly if this situation could be manageable by you. Learn how to introduce your at to any new pet, steadily and slowly, do some homework before you decide to take such a step as this new pup will occupy your life and make it a happy zone, so you should deliver the same to him or her. Go with your heart too and check your schedule and what could you work on to give your future pup more time or devotion or at least if someone you trust could help. Don't lose hope or be sad, please, as this could work out..Just keep the pup with his mum and siblings for an extra week and check out what could you prepare and I am sure we are all here ready to support you
  16. Osama Waseem

Osama Waseem New Member

Name:
    Osama
    Old likes this.

First week done and honestly I love the dog the energy. I give her enough exercise and both pets are getting along. She's usually exhausted by the time I bring her home. I don't leave her home when I'm at work because that's just cruel and definitely not okay for her.

So far she's been good. I want to know the best way to potty train them? I have a pen and so far after a couple days, she's been peeing and pooping on the pad (80%) of the time as long as she's in the pen.

But I've been told this bell thing is better so she'll let us know when she has to go. How do I train her to move the bell on the door when she has to go? That's my main concern.

Secondly, what do you suggest I feed her? I want to give her more than just dry food.. how about goat milk? Boiled chicken with a bit of rice and greens? I want her to be big healthy and have a wonderful coat on her. I love her. She is extremely intelligent and I understand she needs to be worked and trust me, she will be. I myself am in law enforcement..