Food help Dogue De Bordeaux Diet

Discussion in 'Dogue de Bordeaux' started by Edward, Aug 8, 2015.

1. Edward

Edward New Member

Name:
    Edward

Food help Dogue De Bordeaux

I have an 8 DDB puppy and I've tried multiple foods: Premium Edge, Science Diet (Large Breed Puppy), Taste of the Wild High Prairie, but to no avail. Her stool is soft. I've transitioned them properly. I've put her on a pure chicken and rice diet and that constipated her - and the vet said that's not a long term solution anyway.

Can anyone recommend a good dog food that may help her?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Phil

Phil Fondly Remembered

Name:
    Phil
    Hi Edward.

My pup (8 week old Irish Wolfhound) is eating 'Dr Johns' mixed with 'Nature's Menu' raw.

She's having it because that's what she had prior to coming to us but so far all seems good.

Just a suggestion as it's another large breed and the breeder is happy with the diet.
  4. Edward

Edward New Member

Name:
    Edward
    Thanks, Phil. I'm not familiar with those foods. I have a Dogue De Bordeaux (French Mastiff). I wonder if that makes a difference?
  5. LMost

LMost Member

Name:
    LMost
    Mastiff breeds are known for chicken and grain allergies, and DDB's more so.
    You may wish to check on fish based grain free or a turkey or beef grain free.

A large percentage I know with DDB's do a raw diet.

Your vet is correct drained beef or chicken, with rice. Is basically only a system rest, and not a long term fix.
  6. Edward

Edward New Member

Name:
    Edward
    Thank you LMOST. If she was allergic to chicken and/or grain wouldn't the boneless chicken I feed her cause the same problem? Or not necessarily? I gave her the grain free taste of the wild high prairie but that still isn't good. Should I try taste of the wild's grain free fish one or maybe acana's grain free fish. Thank you very much.
  7. LMost

LMost Member

Name:
    LMost
    It is the perseverative or additive they use in chicken in kibble form, and not actually the chicken. Grain it is the grain or type of grain.

I find a lot have decent luck with both the TOTW and acana's fish based. There's another brand that starts with a O but can't remember name offhand.
  8. Edward

Edward New Member

Name:
    Edward
    Thank you.

Do you have a recommendation on food? I bought Taste of the Wild (fish one) and Acana Pacifica. Those are the ones I currently have (have yet to open), but I'd be happy to try a different one if you suggest.
  9. LMost

LMost Member

Name:
    LMost
    Can't help there. Which flavor your pup will like is up to it.
  10. LMost

LMost Member

Name:
    LMost
    Personally I'd just jump to feeding raw. Much better for your pup and I don't know one that does not prefer it.
  11. Edward

Edward New Member

Name:
    Edward
    Thank you for the advice.