For the Rough Collie fans... Photos

Discussion in 'Collie (Rough)' started by Luke, Apr 2, 2014.

1. Luke

Luke New Member

For the Rough Collie fans...

Haven't posted on this one before!
    For any of the RC fans out there here are my two, there is also a small RC imposter in the shape of my old xbred girly ;). They are a breed extremely close to my heart and that i'm truly passionate about the preservation of. My family have had roughs since the late 1930s, my two make me the fourth generation to own them.
    First is Hunter, a 2 and a half year old shaded sable (possibly mahogany sable) a nice "classic" boy, a proper lassie none of this stuffy modern show type! A very placid yet quirky fellow to live with! From a very good kennel who has proved that the modern fashion isn't necessary and who's type hasn't altered since its origins in the 1970s. And Cooper, a blue merle boy, a year old this month. He is a 1950's style rough, he came from two smooth collie parents and was one of four roughs and two smooths. This does happen, and the roughs grow to be the taller, shorter coated, loooonger faced dogs we'd commonly associate pre 1970s, very typical of the westcarrs/ladypark types! It occurs due to when the two breeds were seen as everywhere else does, as two varieites of one breed. Despite EVERYWHERE else in the world recognising this, in England Cooper had to be registered as a smooth collie. So could not have any progency registered if they were with a rough bitch, despite numerous breeders stating the progress to the revival of the breed that some people are attempting such matings could provide. He's a very useful boy with my friends sheep and runner ducks.
    If i had the space and money I would steer right away from Kennel Club registrations and what is now very popular in the show ring, (as i believe they have allowed the majority of breeders to almost destroy the breed, and if it wasn't for a few long standing breeders and breeders who have got sense, the breed would be damned. What happens when these breeders go though, I do not know!) and focus on breeding the very old fashioned type of collie with a workable attitude, and probably have some smooths too!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And of course, they are the most superb of puppies!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Dogloverlou

Dogloverlou Member

Name:
    Louise
    Oh, I think they are stunning! Thanks for sharing. I actually looked into a smooth Collie for a short while although never went further then looking up a few breeders. But really lovely dogs.
  4. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    They are both totally stunning and beautiful. I suppose I should say handsome but I think beautiful is a better description for the way I see them.

Beautiful and such glorious coloured coats. :007:
  5. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    Lovely Rough Collies Luke - thanks for sharing :)

I currently have a soft spot for Smooth Collies... after seeing the one at Crufts this year :D
  6. Bonni

Bonni Member

Name:
    Bonni
    Beautiful dogs :007:
  7. Trouble

Trouble Member

Name:
    shirley
    They are stunning to look at, far too hairy for me though but you need to post more often as I'm happy to admire them from afar :cool:
  8. SuAnne Pinoniemi

SuAnne Pinoniemi New Member

Name:
    SuAnne
    Thank you Luke, I found your comments on coat types VERY informative. We adopted our very first RC Gracie from the Southwest Collie Rescue in May of 2012. And after having a house full of sable shelties, I can tell you we are absolutely SMITTEN with this amazing young girl. She was 14 months old when we acquired her, and since then, she has literally sailed through all her levels of obedience training from one of the top obedience trainers in the state - easy on the dogs, but TOUGH on the handlers, demanding perfection from the handlers, and only those that excel get invited to his more advanced classes. She begins her advanced off-leash training in October. Even the trainer himself said and I quote: Where did you get her from? I would LOVE to get my hands on a dog like her". He was shocked to find out she came from a rescue. Convinced this girl can do absolutely anything we expose her to, she began her Service Dog training a few weeks ago, (an 18-month commitment) and already is showing the marks of one who will exceed all expectations. She's also starting her first AKC Rally classes in June. What a joy she is to work with. We love her so much. She makes friends everywhere she goes. She's a BIG girl - tipping the scales at 72 pounds (but NOT fat in any way) - just tall. She has a very long nose, but does not have a profuse coat. After reading your coat descriptions and "styles", I would have to say she's from an older blood line. I volunteer with the AZ Sheltie Rescue, Inc here in the metro Phoenix area, who is a sister rescue to the Southwest Collie Rescue. (Check us out on Facebook!) Every year the Sheltie Rescue has what they call an extravaganza - it's a fund raiser as well as a wonderful reunion for all the shelties and collies that have been adopted. This past year, it was held at a herding training farm where they had a full agility course set up, along with several herding rings to test your herders herding instincts, and if that's not enough, they had a CGC area set up where your dog could get their Canine Good Citizen test. She excelled in all areas, and passed her CGC test. Trying to choose a direction for her was tough with so many options available, but as long as she is having fun - I think we'll just have to give them all a try. I'm uploading a photo of our Gracie. (Hopefully - I'm new to this). Collie_edited-1.jpg

Attached Files:

9. katygeorge

katygeorge Member

Name:
    katy
    such stunning dogs.
  10. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    What a beautiful dog SuAnne :007:
  11. SuAnne Pinoniemi

SuAnne Pinoniemi New Member

Name:
    SuAnne
    Thank you - I always tell people she's even more beautiful on the inside :)
  12. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz