Fox hounds as pets Questions

Discussion in 'Foxhound' started by x-clo-x, Dec 21, 2011.

1. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe

Fox hounds as pets

after working the hounds on hunts, fox hounds are dogs that have begun to fascinate me.. i dont think i could ever have one as a pet (they just all seem so happy in the packs-we go out with 18 of them :007: )

but i know some of you on here do have them as a pet..

what are they like in a pet environment? i just cant imagine having one as pet, with them curles up on their lonesome by the fire (im sure they wouldnt mind it though :lol: )

do you find they follow scents when out, recall could be difficult i imagine?
    have any of you that have them as pets ever had trouble with them chasing or catching something?
    what are they like around livestock? the ones we go out with dont bat an eyelid at them, they dont chase rabbits or hare, or deer, the only go after one thing, fox.

can a fox hound from a pack be retired into a pet home do you think? or is it unfair on the dog who has lived 10+ years in a kennels with 15+ other hounds? (i watched a program on tv that when the hounds got too old to go out, the huntsmen put them down)

are show line fox hounds different to working line fox hounds? or isnt there much of a split?

just curious really, they are lovely dogs, but i dont know much about them, and im trying to find a bit more...

so far i can name 12 of the 18 hounds and tell them apart, only 6 more to go :lol: :lol: :lol:
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. EmmiS

EmmiS New Member

Name:
    Emma Louise
    I have never heard of them being kept as pets. I'd assume some instincts would just be too strong to make them a practical pet?

I think living with 15 odd others, and then being expected to be a house pet might be a bridge to far. Apparently the American Foxhound makes a better pet? Not sure how that works - just what i've heard out and about.
  4. Helena54

Helena54 New Member

Name:
    Helena
    I've never heard of them being kept as pets either, but a friend of mine used to have a couple of puppies at a time from weaning up until a few months old. I don't know whether they still do this, you could ask if you could be a puppy minder for the kennels? I do know they were a complete nightmare for her even though she lived out in the sticks with a big garden, she had a job to keep them homebound I can assure you!:grin:
  5. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    I don't think retired hounds are ten a penny, nor would they adjust to pet homes,

I know a few who have gone to pet homes of sorts, but they will have gone from puppy hood,

As far as show V working, there is not much difference, and I know one of the biggest show kennels has , will use working stud dogs in their breeding regime.

The foxhound is still very much a primitive breed,
  6. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe
    my grandma told me she used to do this, and they still do it now :grin: im tempted to do it, but id be heart broken having to give them back :lol: i suppose with me going out working them i could still see the little puppy dog id help raise.
    that would definitely have to wait till i didnt live at home, nana would most certainly not appreciate a fox hound puppy or two :lol: :lol: :lol:
  7. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie

I know a lot of people who do this......."puppy walking" they always come in pairs, and the criteria for taking them on has to be strictly adhered too.

Mostly people who do this have small holdings,as the hunt don`t like the pups to live indoors and get to domesticated.

They can be a nightmare to keep, anyone who thinks they have had a naughty puppy, has never has a foxhound to look after, they stay with you till you cant cope any longer or they start to roam...
  8. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe
    yes i know thats why i thought they couldnt really be a pet.. there was a woman who used to go to ring craft who bred them, but i never really spoke to her because i wasnt working with them then, so i dont know how many she had.. i know she had at least 2... and they could be quite awkward when she was training them.
  9. Helena54

Helena54 New Member

Name:
    Helena
    From what I remember with my friend, I think you would be very pleased to hand them back over when the time came:lol:
  10. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    Mos hunts wont allow their pups to go to normal 2/3 bed homes with only a garden for outdoor exercise, they liek then to live on small holding , living in barns or stables, with little creature /indoor comforts.
  11. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe
    my grandma had four at one point and she said that they were a bit more than a handful :lol: :lol: :lol:

ETA about them coming in pairs, they call them couples.. and i got confused the first time i went out, as one man radioed through that they had 5 and a half hounds.. i was there thinking to myself "5 and a half? how on earth do they have a half?" only to realise later that they counted in pairs, so they had 5 and a half couples which meant they had 11!
  12. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe
    :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
  13. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    Yes, packs are counted in couples (one being referred to as half a couple) and puppy walkers are picked in order for the hounds to become accustomed to livestock etc as they have to ignore them when hunting the fox (or stag).

I know people who have them as pets, they generally spend a great deal of time on a harness and line, if not all of it.

Also foxhouds vary in size and shape depending on the country they are hunted in, and many people are surprised about how big many of them are!

I would certainly not dream of having an ex pack foxhound and you would know by their tattoos if they were once one, amongst other things................. ;)
  14. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe
    we have an all white male in our pack (check out me talking like i own them all :lol: ) and he is HUGE. gorgeous lad though and great head on him but hes so tall.

like i said before, they are gorgeous dogs but i will make do with my pack every sunday for now :lol:
  15. TabithaJ

TabithaJ New Member

Name:
    ownedbyayellowlab
    I met some Foxhounds for the first time at Discover Dogs, and my brother and I were both rather taken with them - beautiful dogs.

There are some who do live as pets, and there are a few Foxhound Welfare groups who find new homes for those in need.

Have a look at this site and the links page also:
    http://www.madaboutfoxhounds.org.uk/
  16. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    Really !! I never knew that ........ Joke :lol:
  17. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe
    :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: i didnt mean it as if you didnt know that a pair is a couple :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
  18. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    Even worse (shhhh) most packs are same sex couples too! :lol:
  19. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    What do you mean by working the hounds on hunts??

What hunt is it you are helping out at?
  20. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe
    :lol: :lol: :lol: this made me chuckle :lol: :lol:
  21. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe
    will pm you jackbox, dont want to publicise too much on here.