Foxhound Discussions

Discussion in 'Foxhound' started by Discussion Thread, Apr 28, 2004.

1. Discussion Thread

Discussion Thread New Member

Foxhound

Foxhound
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. catrinsparkles

catrinsparkles New Member

Name:
    catrin
    Has no one got a fox hound on here?

I had a fox hound cross which i rescued from the blue cross. He as a fantastic dog, i got him when he was ten years old and he finally died at the grand old age of 20!

I mostly got positive responses from people but one lady (belonging to a local hunt) took great offence to a "member of the public", as she put it, owning a fox hound cross claiming that the fox hound parent of my dog must have been stolen and accusing me of knowing the parent dogs whereabouts!!

She went on to say that they did not make good pets and could never be trusted off lead..........completely untrue in my experience. He was a wonderful dog and the only habit that was incurable was the need to bark and make a whole range of noises for more or less any circumstance or emotion! :lol: He had a massive personality and felt the need to comment on most situations.

By the time i rehomed him he had had five homes, and been physically abused and suffered from separation anxiety but with love he turned into a fantastic dog who had a lovely effect on my life.
  4. trixiesmommy

trixiesmommy New Member

Name:
    Samantha
    I have a purebred foxhound, they're not very common where I live, well they are but only in the deep country and they are mostly abused where I'm from. I don't know why that woman would demand that the parent dog was stolen. Foxhounds are often used for REAL hunting, not just showing. My foxhound is from a hunting line, not a showline, and I suspect yours may have been from a hunting line as well. My foxhound was abused as well, but when I got her I was only her second home. She is very easily scared by loud noises, due to her previous abuse I suppose, but is a wonderful, quirky, energetic dog. She is almost two years old now and is wonderful. While I do let her off lead it does make me nervous, mostly because she is a dog bred to follow scents and it makes me nervous but I have never had a problem. Just make sure you have control of your hound before you let them off lead. My foxhound also loves to comment with all ranges of barking, she is a talker. But they are a GREAT breed. They are too rare a family pet because they are wonderful with kids.
  5. catrinsparkles

Name:
    catrin
    Hiya,

This was about ten years ago and i don't think there were that many keeping kept as pets them. She seemed to think that they had lots of theirs stolen or let out by hunt protestors. I think mine was from hunt stock not show stock, whenever i see pictures of packs it reminds me so much of lenny.

I would love to have another fox hound one day, he was such a great character. It really annoyed me when the hunt supporters said that all the fox hounds would have to be put down when hunting with dogs was banned over here. They claimed that they could not be rehomed, but i think it was just a way to get support to keep fox hunting.

Would love to see some pictures of your dog.
  6. scarter

scarter New Member

Name:
    Scarter
    Are they very different from Beagles in temprement do you know?

People say that about Beagles, and whilst I'd NEVER trust mine enough to let her off lead somewhere were she could put herself in danger we've found that 99.9% of the time she's as good as gold off lead. If I understand correctly I think the Foxhound is thought to be a descendent of the Beagle. Beagles are simply Foxhounds bred with short legs so that they were slow enough for people to hunt on foot with them.

I'd love to see one in the flesh! Hounds are very special animals....more than just dogs!
  7. catrinsparkles

Name:
    catrin
    Yep - i find it very odd when people claim that certain breeds of dog can never be let off lead. Different breeds of dog have different breed traits and levels of prey drive and interest in scent etc, but why tar all dogs of one breed/type with the same brush?
  8. trixiesmommy

trixiesmommy New Member

Name:
    Samantha
    Yeah I hate the whole never ever let them off lead thing. It does scare me to let her off but if I didn't she would never get all the exercise required, no hound could. Hounds are high energy dogs. If I only exercised my Trixie on lead she would drive me insane with her energy. Here is a link to a picture of her.http://i532.photobucket.com/albums/ee326/stardy/Trixiepoo.jpg
  9. catrinsparkles

Name:
    catrin
    Aww she is beautiful! When i work out how to scan pictures on our new scanner/copier/printer thingy i will scan some photos of my Lenny. I only have prints of him as we never had a digital camera when he was alive.
  10. scarter

scarter New Member

Name:
    Scarter
    Lovely!

She's just a long legged version of my Beagle:

[​IMG]

Note that they're both in the process of destroying something :)

I said earlier the foxhounds were descendents of beagles - I did of course mean the other way around :)
  11. catrinsparkles

Name:
    catrin
    Awww they are both beautiful!
  12. sarah8

sarah8 New Member

Name:
    Sarah
    I absolutely love hounds and all of yours are gorgeous!
  13. Tassle

Tassle New Member

Name:
    H
    Humm.....We had a foxhound who had escaped the hunt. Once she had been runing round the local town for 6 months and got herself pregnant they finally manayed to catch her and she ended up in local kennels.

Despite lots of training, she never became fully house trained (often flooding the floor!), She was a major escape artist...our house is already very well fenced and she is the only dog who has managed to escape,......we did eventually proof it but it took a while. Recall......OK if you had REALLY high value treats on you. (Liver etc)

Lead walking....never

With people.....fantastic...unless she was hurting or had a bone :lol:!
    Nice pets but I would never recommend them to a novice home.

Pictures....
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  14. BriGoose

BriGoose New Member

Name:
    Brie
    Aww shes lovely, which hunt was she with? or dont you know.

Dont mean to offend the hunt who owned her, but that is really bad!! the hunts around here will have people waiting out for days if they loose a dog and if the dog is actually trained properly and are happy they normally will come back once they've finished being 'lost'.
    I've known several foxhounds currently in hunts who are trained to walk on a lead and are non destructive.
    Sounds like she had a lucky escape coming to you:p
  15. Tassle

Tassle New Member

Name:
    H
    She came to us eventually....she bounced a bit first! Although she was Tattooed it was almost impossible to read so we never knew.....she had been loose for so long she could have come from any of the local ones.

I also had someone who used to come to My Agility classes in Norfolk...she had 2 and has just moved back to Australia....and got a 3rd...some people are a Glutton for punishment :lol:
  16. BriGoose

BriGoose New Member

Name:
    Brie
    :grin: i dont think that EVER could be called punishment!! Saying that, i've only known well behaved foxhounds!
    I have photos of some pups, il put them up when iv found them!
  17. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    I guess the reason you will hear is "never let them off lead" will be because Foxhounds will be one of two types...show/ working.... And both will be kennel dogs, you may find a few who are kept in homes as pets as well as show dogs, but the majority of them will be housed in kennels.

The Foxhound is still very much a primitive breed, unlike the Beagle, which over time are being bred for pet homes....I cant think of any kennels who breed foxhounds simple as pets..(anyone else know of any)

The working instinct in the FH is still very high, unlike many other hound types, that have been developed over time, to adapt to living as pets (although all hounds will have a strong nose)

They are fabulous dogs, with fabulous personalities, I know many people who puppy walked for our local hunt kennels, and believe me, as babies they are adorable, jezzzzzzz the trouble they get into surpassed any other breed .. they are mischief personified.

Every single person who takes them on to puppy walk are glad to see them go.. the time will depend on the pup, it will either be , they become to destructive or their wanderlust gets to strong, this will be the time for them to go back to the kennels to start their training....

Obviously , there will always be the exception to the rule, I know a few who have been placed in pet homes, but these homes are of the country type, with enclosures for them to wander....I know one who has successfully adapted to a home life (again a county home) but she had an accident while she was with her puppy walker, she was hit on the road, and luckily her walker was a vet, so he amputated a leg and kept her..she does fine, but even she is never allowed to lead (other than her home)

Their instinct is far to strong in doing the job they are bred for, .......to run all day and hunt.... even the show type are still very primitive.

I would hate to see the distruction a Fox hound could do in a normal pet home...

In saying that, they are one of the most fabulous looking dogs that is on the planet...
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2008
  18. BriGoose

BriGoose New Member

Name:
    Brie
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mums leg in background

[​IMG]

3 weeks old

[​IMG]

My favorite Ruby is the one with her head on hand, she died a day or so after taking this photo :-( she was a BEAUTIFUL colour and stood out from the rest

There all about 2 years old now
  19. BriGoose

BriGoose New Member

Name:
    Brie
    I agree with you, i think though that they are just exercise dependent like alot of breeds, BC for one!
    They are much harder to train as puppies and are very testing compared to the other breeds i've known or lived with including rottweilerX and a ridgeback,both of them are suppose to be 'difficult'. It would not stop me seeking one in the future as a pet because i LOVE their characters and i hate how they get a bad rep!
  20. munchkin

munchkin New Member

Name:
    Carole
    I have a Swedish Foxhound, (Hamiltonstovare), she is 11 months old and gorgeous. I don't let her off the lead unless she is in a secure environment, she will come back 99 per cent of the time when called but I have not had the courage to try yet.
  21. Freyja

Freyja New Member

Name:
    Helen
    A friend of mine breeds and shows foxhounds. She has even won the breeder stakes at crufts a few years ago. Her foxhounds are usually by a working foxhound from one of the local hunts. Some of the litter have also gone to the hunt and do very well.She also shhows foxhounds from the hunt as she has before now taken in ex hunting dogs.