Frenchie Butt Issue Health

Discussion in 'French Bulldog' started by maddiefour, Mar 18, 2022.

1. maddiefour

maddiefour New Member

Name:
    Madeline

Frenchie Butt Issue

Hi! My name is Madeline and I have a 3 year old male frenchie named Nemo who is rather healthy.

(Warning: this might be gross to some)

His vet recommended we start him on joint supplements so I started him on them about 2 weeks ago. Over the last week I have noticed that he gets a little spot of poop on his butthole (sorry for the wordage) even after I clean him with wipes. It’s always in the same spot, on the right side, and is almost crumby and very dark colored. Not normal poop consistency.

I did some extensive googling and the only thing I have found is info on anal glands and getting them expressed. However, I don’t feel like this is his issue since it’s on his actual butt, not the furry area around it such as his “butt cheeks”. It also does not seem to bother him; he’s not scooting his butt on the floor.

But then again I have no clue and that’s why I’m here haha. I’m not sure if there’s any correlation with the supplements he recently started, but have never had this problem before.

Any information would be helpful and thank you in advance!
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    I’ve no clue, but if you think it might be related to the supplements, you could stop them and see if that resolves the situation.

I’m curious why the vet wants him on supplements. Is he having issues, or is this something having to do with his breed?
  4. Helidale

Helidale Member

Name:
    Carole
    Anal discharge is not normally crumbly, but it would be on the actual anal sphincter, not on the furry part, (unless the gland had ruptured). Some dogs have tight or badly sited anal ducts, and these are the ones who need human assistance to empty. Other dogs have anal glands which empty very easily, the liquid escapes as the dog poops, and leakage can occasionally stain the owners clothing when the dog is knee-sitting or similar. I suppose it is just possible that escaping fluid could solidify on the anal ring. Logically, the only other thing that it could be is partially dried poo.
  5. maddiefour

maddiefour New Member

Name:
    Madeline
    It’s having to do with his breed. Frenchies are known for bad backs and hips so this is just a preventative measure. I might stop the supplements for a while and see if that makes a difference. Thanks!
  6. maddiefour

maddiefour New Member

Name:
    Madeline
    Thank you for the explanation. That info really makes me think it’s not his glands. It does look like dried up poop but I’m still not sure why it’s there. This is a new occurrence and I wiped him every time he poops since his butt is higher on his back lol
  7. Helidale

Helidale Member

Name:
    Carole
    I wonder whether he draws part of his sphincter in when he thinks you are going to wipe his bot? (I know my girl can do this). Then when he relaxes there is a trace of poop that has caught in a fold.
  8. maddiefour

maddiefour New Member

Name:
    Madeline
    Possibly. I’ll have to look out for that
  9. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    You might take a sample of the "leftovers" and have the vet get it analyzed. That could tell you if it's just poop, anal discharge, or something else. It could also tell you if there is blood in it which could mean there's a more serious problem than just leftover poop.

With that, I took in a tailless cat once. He was not only born without tail, he was actually missing some nerve endings and/or muscle at the tail base. This meant that he could not "pinch" his sphincter after a bowel movement. The poop just hung out his bottom. It could be that your guy has a nerve/muscle issue and can't completely pinch off the poop after he goes. It may get "sucked back in" after poops and then reemerges when he relaxes.
  10. maddiefour

maddiefour New Member

Name:
    Madeline
    Interesting. That’s very possible. I’ll have to look into that. Thank you!