Frenchie with allergies General Chat

Discussion in 'French Bulldog' started by Michelle Anderson, May 28, 2023.

1. Michelle Anderson

Michelle Anderson New Member

Name:
    Shelly

Frenchie with allergies

Hi I'm new today I own a Frenchie and a pug. My French bulldog Shelby has grass and pollen allergies bless her I just wondered if anyone has any advice she's had skin scrapes done last week and hair plucks. The vet thinks she has alapecia her scrape s came back clear from parasite s mange. And bacterial infections. But over the weekend she's had sore bits which I'm assuming that's the pollen etc. I've bathed her bits the best I can any advice would be great. Michelle
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Toedtoes likes this.
    Quite common in Frenchies I'm afraid - especially the blues. There can be an association between this colour and patches of thinning coat. You will find there are other similar queries on Breedia, concerning Frenchies and blue Staffs. Bull Terriers too.
    If you suspect that pollen is the irritant, in that season exercise on made up paths or regularly mown grass, and rinse your dog's feet every time you return home. You could try using a lightweight dog coat as protection from both the pollen and the sun if the skin is exposed.
    Has your vet suggested using an antihistamine? My Beagle girl has an atopic reaction on her left front foot - yes, just the one foot! I wash with Allermyl shampoo, and use an oatmeal moisturising spray, (currently DermAllay), on both her front feet. It sounds silly but by treating them both it diverts her attention away from a single irritated foot. She also has a Piriton antihistamine hidden in her lunch every day. Piriton is very safe for dogs and can be very economical if bought online and in quantity. I give an Omega 3 and 6 salmon oil supplement too.
    Maybe there is something here that might be worth trying.
  4. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    CaroleC likes this.
    Just to clarify if you are in the states, Piriton is a UK brand name for the generic drug Chlorpheniramine. It goes by a bunch of different names here like Aller-Chlor, Allergy Relief, Allergy Time and Chlor-Trimeton, among others.

In addition to all that CaroleC suggests, you can talk to your vet about her diet. Some ingredients can exacerbate her allergies. My JRT mix has skin allergies and changing from a chicken & rice kibble to a lamb & rice kibble made a big difference. He still gets itchy, but not as much as before.

You can also put down artificial grass in your yard to provide a more sterile environment for her to do her business. Whether you replace lawn or just put the fake stuff on the patio, it can give her a spot that you can easily hose off to remove pollen, etc.

There are also prescription medications that can help. They can have side effects, etc, so discuss them fully with your vet before making decisions - get both the pros and cons.